• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some advice please - Arcam ST60 (or other streamer) vs SMSL amp and Wiim Pro (feeding JBL 308P MkIIs)

d_a_n1979

I'm looking to get a network streamer or DAC + Wiim Pro so I've got Airplay 2 capabilities from my M2 Mac Mini Pro into my JBL 308PM MkIIs via XLR

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface currently; but I'd like to be able to stream more and have AirPlay2 capabilities using my iPhone 15PM etc

For now I have to physically control everything from my desk

I'm looking to see if anyone has any decent experience of the Arcam ST60 as a DAC & pre-amp into active speakers vs the likes of an SMSL DAC (ie. the SU-9n DAC) + Wiim Pro. But I'm also considering the likes of a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio CXN V2 network streamer, or others DACs such as the Audiolab M-DAC+, Cyrus DAC XP + something like the Wiim Pro

I'm not into the 'measurements' side of things FYI; simply just enjoy listening to all sorts of music; but I do want as good a sound as I can get without breaking the bank too much

Cheers

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can plug the WiiM Pro/Pro Plus' RCA Line out directly into your 308P's XLR in. No external XLR DAC required.

Using the right cables, you can make the connection fully balanced just like a proper XLR DAC, giving you the same noise cancelling and ground loop immunity.

OP
D

d_a_n1979

You can plug the WiiM Pro/Pro Plus' RCA Line out directly into your 308P's XLR in. No external XLR DAC required.

Using the right cables, you can make the connection fully balanced just like a proper XLR DAC, giving you the same noise cancelling and ground loop immunity.

Thanks; I'm still looking for connectivity to my Mac as well in case I decide to stick with fully wired - so just the Wiim on it's own is less than ideal

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks; I'm still looking for connectivity to my Mac as well in case I decide to stick with fully wired - so just the Wiim on it's own is less than ideal
You can plug your Mac Mini directly into the WiiM using a Hifime UT23.

Afaik, the WiiM will automatically switch between Toslink and Streaming input.

Top Bottom