• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sphere shaped speakers with CHN110 drivers

DanielT

Major Contributor
Inspiring.:D

Also in this thread, speakers were built with Ikea Blanda Matt bamboo salad bowls. I think you got inspiration from that thread:

You can also build a classic two-way speaker with a sphere shape, like this one:
Black_PurifiPTT4.0X04-NLC-02_BlieSMaT25A-6front.png

Very good Purifi drivers in that speaker and it measures really well. Whether you think it's worth the money that the Sun Audio Purified 4 speakers cost plus having to buy a multichannel DAC, DSP and 4-channel amplification to make it work is another matter:

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Let's see the corrected measurements

NOTE: I am battling with the 'Exclamation mark/Imprecise measurement' issue in Dirac which means that it can correct the frequency response only (instead of correcting both the frequency and the phase response which is the normal behavior)

All measurements in MLP, approx. 250cm away from the speakers, L+R channels combined with the subwoofer, linear phase crossover at 80Hz, 24dB/octave slope)

Frequency response phase:

1708880900660.png

Distortion:

1708880962755.png

Step response:

1708880989392.png

IR:

1708881024811.png

Group delay:

1708881053211.png

Waterfall:

1708881082939.png

Wavelet:

1708881099965.png

I am pretty happy - these are keepers, definitely!

Last edited:
OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
This is for those who are interested in those kind of nitty-gritty details

I was playing around with various crossover settings, always at 80Hz:
- 24dB/oct minimum phase (using CraveEQ)
- 48dB/oct minimum phase (using CraveEQ)
- 24dB/oct linear phase (using thEQorange)

Pretty interesting results!
(note: all after Dirac)

Let's see the FR first

1708980040918.png

Based on this one would say that the difference is pretty negligible, right?

Now let's see some temporal graphs

Phase:

1708980117143.png

The difference is way more visible here, take a look at the huge difference (200-400 degrees) in the lows

Group delay:

1708980230027.png

With the minimum phase 48dB that huge peak at 90Hz goes negative but anywhere else the linear phase version wins by up to 13ms

Step response:

1708980404892.png

The pre-ringing is clearly visible (but not audible) with the linear phase crossover - huge difference otherwise

And finally the Wavelet:

crossovers.gif

Notice the difference in the Peak Energy Delay!

Overall, I was not expecting to see this amount of difference - it is really illuminating!

By listening to them it is definitely the LP version that sounds the tightest and most precise
I was hesitant to use previous LP crossover solutions since I could always hear the pre-ringing - thEQorange is the first plugin where I absolutely cannot hear it

I hope you find this useful - I am sure similar results could be achieved with other systems too

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The pre-ringing is clearly visible (but not audible) with the linear phase crossover - huge difference otherwise

It’s not really obvious or evident to me that something is ringing from just that plot — only that there’s a low-level early start possibly of the bass. It likely would be much easier visualize with a wavelet or Airy CWT 1/2 smoothing and Log SPL setting. But even then, sometimes pre-echo that is ‘significant’ or audible only occurs visually off-axis and so may not be obvious from a single-point spectrogram alone.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
At least based on my experience that swing actually shows pre-ringing
Whenever I go from minimum phase to linear phase (crossover) that swing appears and the deeper and wider it gets the more audible pre-ringing will be

1709026425792.png

For example if I move from 24dB/oct linear phase crossover to 48dB/oct linear phase crossover that swing will get much deeper and wider and I will definitely start hearing the pre-ringing.
So the smaller the swing is, the less chance you have to actually hear the pre-ringing

I have tried many linear phase solutions and so far this has the smallest/lowest swing (when using the same settings, ie. 24dB/oct slope)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
At least based on my experience that swing actually shows pre-ringing
Whenever I go from minimum phase to linear phase (crossover) that swing appears and the deeper and wider it gets the more audible pre-ringing will be

View attachment 352601

For example if I move from 24dB/oct linear phase crossover to 48dB/oct linear phase crossover that swing will get much deeper and wider and I will definitely start hearing the pre-ringing.
So the smaller the swing is, the less chance you have to actually hear the pre-ringing

I have tried many linear phase solutions and so far this has the smallest/lowest swing (when using the same settings, ie. 24dB/oct slope)

I understand that correlates with your experience. But it still does not necessarily = ringing.

Thomann-Swissonic-A305-Step-Response.png

This is one of mine but unequivocably no ringing while either on- or off-axis at the listening couch:

1709028421942.png

1709028431815.png

1709028439902.png

I also have a version without any early amplitude smearing or that apparent visual 'pre-ringing' you mentioned visible in the step response or spectrogram at all, and the result is more or less expectedly the same -- no audible ringing. Notably, however, I've been able to create mixed phase xo with no obvious visual negative swing or early ripples in the step, but once tested produced audible pre-echo artifacts.

Ringing to me has to really 'ring' -- confirmed not only by visible pressure ripples but it also must be audible. Pre-echo, though, is a bit different to me in that it may not necessarily actually 'ring' though audibly may still sound like a 'whoop' or suck-out of sorts.

Last edited:
OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Pre-echo, though, is a bit different to me in that it may not necessarily actually 'ring' though audibly may still sound like a 'whoop' or suck-out of sorts.
I guess I was using the wrong terminology - I was talking about pre-echo all the time :)
When the bass kicks sound like they are reversed - that's what I was referring to

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Paintjob is also done!
The spheres were painted to solid white (ultra matte using chalk paint) and the stands are satin ebony black (using so-called eggshell paint)

20240301_182547.jpg

I guess this project can be considered finished :)

My next project is to create two more of these spheres to use them as rear speakers, replacing my current SB Acoustics 8" based rear speakers - that way I will have all four totally the same

MAB

Major Contributor
Paintjob is also done!
The spheres were painted to solid white (ultra matte using chalk paint) and the stands are satin ebony black (using so-called eggshell paint)

View attachment 353545

I guess this project can be considered finished :)

My next project is to create two more of these spheres to use them as rear speakers, replacing my current SB Acoustics 8" based rear speakers - that way I will have all four totally the same
Remarkable.
You nailed the stand, it really matches the black frame/surround.

I might be worried that a Druid would cast an animation spell on them and do great harm.;)

But seriously, very nice looking. And thanks for the build thread in general. Great documentation and measurements. They do look like one of the best fullrange I have seen.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Remarkable.
Thank you, really appreciated!

I might be worried that a Druid would cast an animation spell on them and do great harm.;)
LOL

I was thinking about this:

1709320801068.png

Maybe I will call this project the Spaceball-project
:)

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is for those who are interested in those kind of nitty-gritty details

I was playing around with various crossover settings, always at 80Hz:
- 24dB/oct minimum phase (using CraveEQ)
- 48dB/oct minimum phase (using CraveEQ)
- 24dB/oct linear phase (using thEQorange)

Pretty interesting results!
(note: all after Dirac)

Let's see the FR first

View attachment 352509

Based on this one would say that the difference is pretty negligible, right?

Now let's see some temporal graphs

Phase:

View attachment 352510

The difference is way more visible here, take a look at the huge difference (200-400 degrees) in the lows

Group delay:

View attachment 352511

With the minimum phase 48dB that huge peak at 90Hz goes negative but anywhere else the linear phase version wins by up to 13ms

Step response:

View attachment 352512

And finally the Wavelet:

View attachment 352513

Notice the difference in the Peak Energy Delay!

Overall, I was not expecting to see this amount of difference - it is really illuminating!

By listening to them it is definitely the LP version that sounds the tightest and most precise
I was hesitant to use previous LP crossover solutions since I could always hear the pre-ringing - thEQorange is the first plugin where I absolutely cannot hear it

I hope you find this useful - I am sure similar results could be achieved with other systems too
Can you explain better for me what's happening with the spectrogram? Is this processing delay time for the different filters?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Can you explain better for me what's happening with the spectrogram? Is this processing delay time for the different filters?
For me there are three things there to see:
- the post-ringing is much lower with the LP filter vs the MP filters
- the pre-ringing is higher with the LP filter (not audible though)
- the Peak Energy curve is way lower (=less delay in the low frequencies) with the LP filter vs with the MP filters

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an extremely ingenious adaption of materials to a new use.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
- the Peak Energy curve is way lower (=less delay in the low frequencies) with the LP filter vs with the MP filters
They all have a huge delay, equivalent to about 7 feet to up to 20 feet or so. How is that happening? I've never seen a passive network create a spectrogram that looks that far off.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
They all have a huge delay, equivalent to about 7 feet to up to 20 feet or so. How is that happening? I've never seen a passive network create a spectrogram that looks that far off.
I have always been under the impression that having a 5-6ms bass delay on this curve (with the settings I used) is extremely good :)
Or actually anything around or below 10ms can be considered really great
I am happy to stand corrected though

My settings:

1713889027668.png

Would be cool to see other systems' graph with this same settings

EDIT: I am sure the room plays an extremely huge role here too.....

Last edited:

312elements

I have always been under the impression that having a 5-6ms bass delay on this curve (with the settings I used) is extremely good :)
Or actually anything around or below 10ms can be considered really great
I am happy to stand corrected though

My settings:

View attachment 365462

Would be cool to see other systems' graph with this same settings

EDIT: I am sure the room plays an extremely huge role here too.....
That plugin isn’t cheap, but appears to be worth it.

Top Bottom