• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So how Amazon music and Apple music did it relatively easy ?
You'd have to ask their execs and lawyers, but perhaps they added a clause that they wouldn't pay different royalties for different quality levels. Maybe there were such clauses for Spotify... who knows? When Spotify first started out there may have been more concern about piracy of streams. In that case the labels would have been more protective over lossless streams than lossy. Just spitballing, I have no idea.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll repeat my previous point. Because one thing is doing less damage than another thing, it doesn't mean that it is doing no damage. Clear to you now?
I get it of course, but unless you're prepared to live without grid power of any kind, and/or suggest that others do the same, disapproving of all non-essential energy use doesn't really lead to any obvious conclusion.

In the US, 0.8 kwh generates 294g of atmospheric CO2. So listening to one album is roughly equivalent to eating three grams of beef.

Everyone could wipe out their annual music listening footprint (1 album x 365 days) by skipping 8 or 10 hamburgers (1kg of beef) over the course of the year. I think this would be a good thing to do. We should do it.

So while I am in massive agreement with the spirit of your objection, I do agree that objecting to harmful behavior without any reference to the scope or scale of harm is not productive.

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes but Amazon does all manner of resampling you don’t see unless you know where to look… and the app sucks!

Amazon playing "Ultra HD" on an Eversolo DMP-A6:

1714791810192.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another example of Amazon's "Ultra HD". Again no upsampling to 192:

View attachment 367466
To be fair though that is (I think) showing amazon's display of how the track is encoded. This may or may not be the same as what is sent to the DAC depending on the streaming device/app.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Looks to me more like the OS upsampling everything going out to 192.
Before Android 14, there was not even a system-supported way to change the sample rate. Android 14 added exclusive mode, but each app has to implement the support for it separately. Apps would probably publish a piece of news when the support is implemented. Without exclusive mode, different Android OEMs have differing policies on selecting the sample rate. On the other hand, I think iOS and iPadOS have followed the sample rate of the playing app, so on these platforms the DAC should show the same as the app, unless it is the app that is resampling hiddenly.
Pretty hard if you have to renegotiate contracts with every record label on the planet first. ;)
Spotify doesn't have to support lossless for every song in their catalogue. They could launch lossless after negotiating contracts with the Big Three (Sony, Warner, Universal).

Last edited:

Dumdum

Another example of Amazon's "Ultra HD". Again no upsampling to 192:

View attachment 367466
Please see my examples… the device states it is giving one sample rate (track, device capability’s and what is being output) just as yours does… and external check says otherwise… you are taking amazons word for it blissfully unaware of what’s possibly happening, I even screen shotted my iPhone just like you have done with your eversolo, how is that hard to grasp?

Last edited:

Dumdum

I find it hard to understand why Amazon would waste all that costly bandwidth and upsample everything to 24/192?
2+2-3.5 here o_O
Me neither… but it’s been known they do this for years, it would seem to Amazon that more is better and they think people perceive it as such for some strange reason

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bandwidth is cheap for content providers, while customer perception clearly is worth it.
If true then there is reasonable hope that we can get them to switch from the current lossy version of Atmos now being used at Apple and the rest to lossless TrueHD. The "2ch forever cult" has been harping on how bad streaming Atmos sounds (though it really doesn't) in an effort to condemn the entire format. "HATERS"

Exactly, but lying about actual output…
Me neither… but it’s been known they do this for years, it would seem to Amazon that more is better and they think people perceive it as such for some strange reason

So What?, At least they're not down sampling, enough please, let it be.

Dumdum

If true then there is reasonable hope that we can get them to switch from the current lossy version of Atmos now being used at Apple and the rest to lossless TrueHD. The "2ch forever cult" has been harping on how bad streaming Atmos sounds (though it really doesn't) in an effort to condemn the entire format. "HATERS"

So What?, At least they're not down sampling, enough please, let it be.
I’m sorry I thought this was asr where facts get brought out, I’m not the one disputing proven issues, happy to let Amazon users be blissfully unaware of what is happening while they listen, what I’m not going to do is let them tell people on a forum based on facts that it is somehow perfect and great while Spotify isn’t… that does offend me and I will speak up

If it needs a separate post then mods can create one, otherwise what has been said is relevant here as people were championing Amazon

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Before Android 14, there was not even a system-supported way to change the sample rate. Android 14 added exclusive mode, but each app has to implement the support for it separately. Apps would probably publish a piece of news when the support is implemented. Without exclusive mode, different Android OEMs have differing policies on selecting the sample rate. On the other hand, I think iOS and iPadOS have followed the sample rate of the playing app, so on these platforms the DAC should show the same as the app, unless it is the app that is resampling hiddenly.

Spotify doesn't have to support lossless for every song in their catalogue. They could launch lossless after negotiating contracts with the Big Three (Sony, Warner, Universal).
Interesting. I don't own any ios devices but yes that's a daft thing for a streaming app to do.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not the one disputing proven issues
First - you are repeatedly stating your point over and over. It is not necessary.

Second - it is not an "issue". If Amazon/the device/the app is upsampling, that is not taking anything away from what you have paid for : A lossless or higher res recording. Whatever resolution the file is encoded at - you still have that, embedded in a higher resolution bit-stream.

goat76

Major Contributor
Please see my examples… the device states it is giving one sample rate (track, device capability’s and what is being output) just as yours does… and external check says otherwise… you are taking amazons word for it blissfully unaware of what’s possibly happening, I even screen shotted my iPhone just like you have done with your eversolo, how is that hard to grasp?

Why are your apps looking different from each other, are you using their dedicated app or a web-based player?

dkinric

Now this is something I'm interested in. The Atmos mixes (masterings) are different, and a potential workaround for the brickwalled mastering that is such a problem. I use Roon/Tidal, and even Tidal has a few albums labeled Atmos Mix - and sound pretty good downmixed to 2-ch. (Example The Notorious BIG - Life After Death has an Atmos Mix version)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Atmos mixes (masterings) are different, and a potential workaround for the brickwalled mastering that is such a problem.
True, there are next to zero multich files of any type (Atmos, Auro, 5.1 Quad) that have been dynamically crushed by the loudness war mania. The multich production teams fear the wrath of the consumers to get involved with that crap. ;)

Top Bottom