• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SR-71 meets Concorde

nerdstrike

I recall reading an article that mentioned how extremely difficult it was to film Concorde when supersonic. The problem being that the military jets that could keep up (in the 70's and still true until the supercruising fighters) would use loads of fuel getting up to speed and wouldn't be able to match pace and heading for very long before they'd have to break off. Very much the same reasons the SR71 was incredibly difficult to stop as a spy plane.

Beautiful designs.

Edit: DCS can do realistic dirty afterburner effects on an unofficial model now? Shocking!

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an example of the generation of an event which was not an event at all. It's pretty good and could fool most people, probably. We'll see more or it with AI.

Right now, from what I can gather and have observed, most consumer grade AI appears to be at the level of cartoons, or unusual animations. Sometimes technically interesting, but arguably not having the 'soul' of human created art, such as early hand drawn cell by cell Disney animations.

Soon, not sure when, but it will happen earlier than later, it will be possible to generate non-events that for almost all watchers will be indistinguishable from videos of actual events. Then, how will we investigate the truth? The first way will be to ask, "Does this make sense?" But we live in a rather nonsensical world, so that may not be a good arbiter. And most people don't bother to even ask the question, but rely on visual appeal. In this case one could ask, "Why would an SR-71 fly overhead and next to a commercial airliner?" And then come up with the correct answer themselves.

For the most part it remains possible to investigate the veracity of claims, at least if one is willing to dive deep into the search engines. This ability is however becoming less and less possible, as control of the flow of open information by large, highly centralized state and private actors (often it is impossible to draw a distinct line between the two) occurs.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yes its urban legend that the only plane at the time that could intercept the Concorde was the English Electric Lightning

but the caveats was that it could only do it once as it didnt carry enough fuel nor could it carry external tanks due to the added drag

and the killer... it could not carry missiles as they are mounted externally

the plane must fly 'clean' ie. no external stores

the F22 could probably do it but obviously these are of different periods

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one was created by someone who is good at video editing. Just for fun. The first time I actually remember noticing this sort of thing was watching some TV commercials. I don't remember the products, but they featured clips of some or another deceased movie or TV star in a contemporary commercial. I think there was some 'blowback' from those. People asking the question, "How can you shamelessly use a shameless (but dead) money-grubbing (when alive) movie star to pitch a modern-day commercial product?" My guess is that the ethics of it turned on still living family members expecting to receive their 'piece' of the dead relative's action.

That's how this stuff always begins. Someone trying to sell you something. Later, more nefarious types realize they can use it for political power and social control, and then you have to deal with search engine algos and such. With Google and MS behind it, we get the best of both worlds.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
stunning image , when was this no date , unknown , must be top secret flyby

Fun fact:

One of our members was an SR-71 pilot. I'd love to hear some of the stories @digitalfrost could can't tell.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Could even be a screen crab from the current MS Flightsim. Strange also, that you see the exhaust from the SR71 but not from the Concord and both engines were not known for their ecofriendliness....... I also would have my doubts, that it is real.

Assuming for a second that it is real, judging from the rolling hills in the background and the clouds on top, the shot is relatively close to the ground and not at altitudes where these planes flew supersonically. Maybe an airshow or so. I saw Concord once at Farnborough....

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i doubt this is even real event that happened and some clever cut ' paste pity as it looks neat

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Assuming for a second that it is real, judging from the rolling hills in the background and the clouds on top, the shot is relatively close to the ground and not at altitudes where these planes flew supersonically. Maybe an airshow or so. I saw Concord once at Farnborough....
Yeah -- we're not at 60k feet, Toto. ;) Both of those craft would burst into flame at Mach 2 at low altitude. :oops:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One of the Youtube comments;

As indicated, the video is made with Digital Combat Simulator... Although the images are superb, it is very unlikely that this scene actually happened.
1. Never has a military aircraft such as the SR-71 had reason to fly so close to the Concorde.
2. The Concorde is 62 meters long and 12 meters high, while the Lockheed SR-71 is 33 meters long and 6 meters high. In this video, these proportions are not respected.
3. At supersonic (or even subsonic) speed, it is simply not possible to pick up the surrounding sound.

Very clever though.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
One of the Youtube comments;

As indicated, the video is made with Digital Combat Simulator... Although the images are superb, it is very unlikely that this scene actually happened.
1. Never has a military aircraft such as the SR-71 had reason to fly so close to the Concorde.
2. The Concorde is 62 meters long and 12 meters high, while the Lockheed SR-71 is 33 meters long and 6 meters high. In this video, these proportions are not respected.
3. At supersonic (or even subsonic) speed, it is simply not possible to pick up the surrounding sound.

Very clever though.
Thanks. Reading the small print actually helps :). Thanks for clarifying.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun fact:

One of our members was an SR-71 pilot. I'd love to hear some of the stories @digitalfrost could can't tell.

A book (don't remember the name) about Kelly Johnson tells the story of one of the SR-71 missions. Evidently the pilot has a little funnel device for No. 1 emergencies. The mission was long (with air refueling and such) and pilot couldn't (or wasn't able to) use the device. He said he thought he was going to die. Started having abdominal cramps and difficulty focusing. When the mission was over he landed, immediately jumped out of the spy plane, and right then and there on the tarmac whipped it out and did what he had to do.

Reading about it was funny, but I'm sure it was anything but.

G|force

Forum Donor
This is an example of the generation of an event which was not an event at all. It's pretty good and could fool most people, probably. We'll see more or it with AI.

Right now, from what I can gather and have observed, most consumer grade AI appears to be at the level of cartoons, or unusual animations. Sometimes technically interesting, but arguably not having the 'soul' of human created art, such as early hand drawn cell by cell Disney animations.

Soon, not sure when, but it will happen earlier than later, it will be possible to generate non-events that for almost all watchers will be indistinguishable from videos of actual events. Then, how will we investigate the truth? The first way will be to ask, "Does this make sense?" But we live in a rather nonsensical world, so that may not be a good arbiter. And most people don't bother to even ask the question, but rely on visual appeal. In this case one could ask, "Why would an SR-71 fly overhead and next to a commercial airliner?" And then come up with the correct answer themselves.

For the most part it remains possible to investigate the veracity of claims, at least if one is willing to dive deep into the search engines. This ability is however becoming less and less possible, as control of the flow of open information by large, highly centralized state and private actors (often it is impossible to draw a distinct line between the two) occurs.
It has been said that eyewitness testimony is utterly unreliable. In the era of AI deep fakes, eyewitness testimony may be the only reliable testimony.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom