• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stealth V3 - pi 4 based streamer with lots of noise isolation

Kreed

I came across this streamer from a person in Hong Kong, this is his 5th iteration of a pi 4 based streamer with lots of isolation for things like the screen, usb and even ethernet.
You can order it in kit or finished form.

I ordered the kit with a es9038q2m hat, looking forward to trying this out

Whoops, this should be in the streamers section. Apologies

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I came across this streamer from a person in Hong Kong, this is his 5th iteration of a pi 4 based streamer with lots of isolation for things like the screen, usb and even ethernet.
You can order it in kit or finished form.

I ordered the kit with a es9038q2m hat, looking forward to trying this out

Whoops, this should be in the streamers section. Apologies
Thanks for the post. It definitely looks promising. However, being an adopter of the Pi2AES and blown away by the performance I would think that’s far enough. The gentleman who manufactures that HAT seems very savvy and knowledgeable. I will point out however I do not use a screen or care for that, but it may potentially decrease the performance if added. Also the unit does not have USB output, but every other digital output; which may or may not influence the performance. Lastly, 3 of the digital outputs on the unit provide bit perfect feeds. Not really sure what that means or if that’s why it’s so wonderful. But those are the only outputs I have ever used.

The Pi2AES is discontinued to my knowledge, but an even “better” product is available on the same site. I say better because I have not used it, but if it has any advantages over the original it will be phenomenal and an extremely fair price. *This is only available as DIY.

My comment stems from the fact that the unit is already isolated from the grid. In addition I attempted to upgrade to a quality linear power supply to power the unit which was and is overkill. It made no difference to me further backing up my statement. This was not done on a double blind test.

It was purchased based on objective performance, and massive subjective appeal.

I purchased a Volumio primo not too long after, because I needed a streamer with USB output capability and that unit is decent and does offer improvement but does nothing like the Pi2AES.

Steve_NZ

MacCali’s comments above are about a different product and not the kitset in the video.

I have built a couple of Vincent’s earlier streamer kitsets. I’m running them with LMS so having a touch screen display for artwork and navigation on the player works well for me. I’m running piCorePlayer and Jivelite on my players but you can run the LMS material skin on DietPi which works very well on the larger touchscreens in his recent kits. There are other software options if you don’t use LMS.

Vincent has predrilled back panels for a variety of different DAC hats but you don’t need to use a DAC hat on the Pi at all. You can just run a USB cable from the Pi to an external DAC.

The power supply in the kit is optional. If you are building a touchscreen player then the standard Pi supply will power that just fine. If you were using it as a server/player combo with a SSD drive for media then you might want to order the beefier supply In the kit.

It’s fun to build, looks great and not expensive for what you get. I’m happy to recommend them.

Top Bottom