• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo amplifier, small, max ~350€ Buying advice

aTg!s

Hi Audio Community,

Unfortunately, my beloved Onkyo TX-SR508 has literally "broken down" after 9 years of ownership.

I only used the receiver to watch TV (IPTV and Netflix via Nvidia Shield). I connected a:
- (non-smart) Samsung TV UE50J5150 and a
- Nvidia Shield 2017 Android TV streaming box to the receiver.
The receiver powered my self-made speakers.

Technical data:
Principle: 2-way TQWT
Frequency range: 45Hz - 20000Hz
Sound pressure level: 81dB @ 2.83V
Impedance: 8Ω
Size (H x W x D): 40.8cm x 16.2cm x 24.3cm

I transmitted the sound from the TV with a jack->chinch cable. Everything was connected to a switchable power strip and all devices switched on when power was supplied (via HDMI Power Control). I was very satisfied! The sound was absolutely sufficient for me. I no longer needed an additional subwoofer!

Now (unfortunately) I need something new, preferably something smaller and more compact and therefore more W.A.F-compatible.

The new AMP should therefore have at least the following:
- Budget ~350€ or less
- Stereo amp with enough power for living room sound
- 8 Ohm
- Good and fine sound, like the Onkyo, control options, i.e. an equalizer (regardless of whether via remote control or APP)
- Smaller than the old Onkyo
- Device should switch on when "power on" via a switchable power strip and also remember the last selected "input".
- Simple remote control, if the device does not switch on automatically when power is supplied, I can do it from the sofa.
- Chinch input and optical input
- Preferably a new device with a guarantee and not from classified ads.

Nice-to-have - not absolutely necessary:
- HDMI ARC - currently we had the volume set once on the receiver and then only controlled the volume on the "input signal", i.e. on the TV or the Android box.
- Display
- Bluetooth

What I don't need:
- Streaming - I can do that via the Nvidia Shield.

I like the wiim amp! But I'm not sure if it's the best for the money since I don't need streaming (Nvidia Shield).

2024-04-14-11-32-08-20240414-101159-jpg-windows-fotoanzeige_1244057.png

20240414-101226-mittel_1244058.jpg

Any recommandation?

Piere

For that purpose I am very happy with a Topping MX5. It has no extensive parametric equaliser but the old way bass and treble controls. The headphone amp build in is very good too. For streaming and radio I use a RapsberryPi with Picoreplayer hooked to the MX5 by USB.

OP
aTg!s

aTg!s

Thank you for the recommendation. I didn't know the amp. But the price difference seems too high compared to the features of the Wiim amp.

V.b.

SMSL AO300 could work.

Or A50 pro if you may plan a subwoofer later.

V

Last edited:
OP
aTg!s

aTg!s

Thank you very much. The ao300 looks very stylish.

But do the devices switch on automatically as soon as they get power? I don't want to switch them on separately.

V.b.

I don't have it. It should.

Around that budget you can get a SMSL DO100 PRO and dual Fosi V3 mono. A higher quality setup and monoblocks have audio sensing on/off.

OP
aTg!s

aTg!s

And what speaks against the Wiim Amp?

V.b.

Well... That is what I would get.

But, you would have only 60w max in 8ohms and some measurements show even lower on multitone.

Also 12db lower SINAD vs separates.

Stiffmeister

For that purpose I am very happy with a Topping MX5. It has no extensive parametric equaliser but the old way bass and treble controls. The headphone amp build in is very good too. For streaming and radio I use a RapsberryPi with Picoreplayer hooked to the MX5 by USB.
With the MX5 you never noticed the high pitch noise coming from the speakers when the headphone output is active?

Top Bottom