• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange problem speaker make noise with no wires connected.

Ssmokeyy

Building a theater room for a friend. 15 x 20 Doors back to the left of the room. The corner next to the doors speakers make a hiss noise not evern connected to wires. No other spots in the room does this happen. I have had 2 other people listen to this noise to make sure its not me. The room has its own 150 amp panel, it's own ventilation not connected to the rest of the house, mini split to control the room temp, 3 layers of sheet rock. I have moved other speakers into said corner and they also make noise once u move them out of the corner they stop making noise. None of the cat 6 cables have been connected to the network yet. Neither of the xlr or rca cables going to the sub have been connected to anything either. Has anyone had this happen to them? I did turn off all the power to this room and no change.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it go away if you short the speaker terminals?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I have moved other speakers into said corner and they also make noise
What is under or above that corner? A/C, water heaters, large power transformers, power wires or anything like that?

Sounds like electromagnetic induction, which is why it dissipates when the speaker is moved away from the source.

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We've been through this recently. See here:

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

Concrete floor with carpet. Tripple layer 5/8 soynd rated sheet rock wall. Hat channel and mass loaded vinyl. There is a hvac duct in the ceiling in that. Corner. I built a box around it using wood/rubber brackets and than lined it with mass mlv than 3 layers of rock. One side of the wall is the rec room nothing close to the wall in that room. Other wall is mech room. Hot water tank is 2 feet from that wall also two ft IA the hvac main parts. Ceiling in that corner er is lower than the rest of that room 6.5 ft ceiling rest of the room is 8 ft

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

I got one off amazon. It doesn't pick up anything in that corner. But I did find that in the room outside of the theater the noise gets worse. It's in the middle of the wall between the livingroom and the stairs. I might open that wall to see what's in there.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First I would shorten the input terminals to change the internal impedance of the system.
Some lines feeding a HVOC can emit a lot of HF.

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

We might open the wall. Its crazy these speakers pick this up with nothing connected to them. U can just walk around the house holding the speaker. Is there anything we can hang to block this kinda problem from passing the in the wall? I was thinking something lead lined.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We might open the wall. Its crazy these speakers pick this up with nothing connected to them. U can just walk around the house holding the speaker. Is there anything we can hang to block this kinda problem from passing the in the wall? I was thinking something lead lined.
Did you ever try shorting speaker binding posts or connecting to an amplifier? The noise may disappear or be greatly diminished. In which case, nothing to worry about.

OP
S

Ssmokeyy

I did with the amp. Noise is still there but no i didn't try shorting the terminals. I will next time i head there.

Top Bottom