• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer / DAC combo with PEQ and Loudness

Nutul

Moode Spotify client is not using CamillaDSP volume control even when configured system-wide. Difficulty level: unknown
moOde is integrating Camilla 2.0, but then again, since the renderer is librespot, it is hard to say whether it will, or not, be using it or not.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Moode Spotify client is not using CamillaDSP volume control even when configured system-wide. Difficulty level: unknown
Please what does that exactly mean? Why should moode use the complicated CDSP volume control via websockets?

OP
M

maver1ck

Please what does that exactly mean? Why should moode use the complicated CDSP volume control via websockets?
Moode is already using it when chosen in settings. But this option doesn’t work with Spotify client.

Reason: ability to use CamillaDSP Loudness filter

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just my 2 cents, all of the RPi based streaming distros kind of suck. Better off with a commercial streamer (Wiim, AppleTV, etc) and a vanilla RPi distro (Raspberry Pi Lite, Ubuntu Server) running CamillaDSP connected to your DAC. Even better if your DAC is an audio interface or something like the Okto that can act as both a capture and playback device on CamillaDSP, although a cheap TOSLINK to USB device can be used as a capture device if needed.

Commercial streamers are more polished and stable and with a stand-alone CamillaDSP implementation you have complete control over CamillaDSP.

Michael

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Summary of experiments.
None of RPi solutions can fulfill my needs.

Volumio needs upgrade of CamillaDSP to 2.0 (and upgrade of underlying system to bookworm). Difficulty level: hard

All the systems are quite unstable.
Drop of connections, problems with steering Spotify from touch screen. This is normal.
WiiM is rock solid in comparison.

I think I need to wait few months and come back to this topic.
I suggest you look at Roon.

maddogc

Hi,
I spend a lot of time searching the forum and I didn't find the answer.

Is there any Streamer / DAC combo on the market that has:
- Parametric EQ (preferable with at least 5 slots and separate L/R configuration)
- RME ADI-2 like automatic Loudness ?
- 12V trigger
- measures well by the means of this forum

Generally speaking I'm looking for RME ADI-2 with built-in streamer :)

Theoretically I can use WiiM Pro + RME ADI-2 combo via optical link, but main problem is volume control vs loudness.
WiiM volume control should be disabled in such configuration and then I'm loosing ability to control volume from mobile phone.
The new Eversolo A-8 has PEQ and Loudness, but I didn't find information if there is separation in channel and if loudness is automatically switched.
(EDIT: based on information from their forum it's not)

Any hints ?
Hello! Newbie to Audioscience, AND the ever so confusing world of digital!! Recently bought a RME AD-2 DAC fs so I can play music through my hard-to-drive headphones (connecting phone via USB) and am now looking for a streamer, which I am told will increase the SQ even more. My first question is, you mention the volume issue, but surely you can control it with the RME remote control??

I am aware of the WiiM Pro and in fact a sound engineer (manufacturer of linear power supplies) suggested I get one, when I gave him my shortlist. But I am a bit of a brand snob, and figured even though I have a small budget I would get more bang for my buck if I bought a 2nd hand quality brand, like Simaudio/Linn/Innuos. Then I realised that their streamers tend to have a DAC built in. So as I already have an excellent quality DAC in the RME, I figured (rightly or wrongly) that the DAC in the streamer would be redundant and I would ultimately be paying for something I didn't need.

OR, if I got such a product for £500, that perhaps originally retailed at £1200, would it still sound better, bypassing the DAC, as opposed to connecting a WiiM Pro or Auralic Aries Mini etc?

I have heard that the main factor in determining SQ is the DAC, so maybe I am best of listening to the sound guy and getting a WiiM, but what about the volume!!? Full circle!!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! Newbie to Audioscience, AND the ever so confusing world of digital!! Recently bought a RME AD-2 DAC fs so I can play music through my hard-to-drive headphones (connecting phone via USB) and am now looking for a streamer, which I am told will increase the SQ even more. My first question is, you mention the volume issue, but surely you can control it with the RME remote control??

I am aware of the WiiM Pro and in fact a sound engineer (manufacturer of linear power supplies) suggested I get one, when I gave him my shortlist. But I am a bit of a brand snob, and figured even though I have a small budget I would get more bang for my buck if I bought a 2nd hand quality brand, like Simaudio/Linn/Innuos. Then I realised that their streamers tend to have a DAC built in. So as I already have an excellent quality DAC in the RME, I figured (rightly or wrongly) that the DAC in the streamer would be redundant and I would ultimately be paying for something I didn't need.

OR, if I got such a product for £500, that perhaps originally retailed at £1200, would it still sound better, bypassing the DAC, as opposed to connecting a WiiM Pro or Auralic Aries Mini etc?

I have heard that the main factor in determining SQ is the DAC, so maybe I am best of listening to the sound guy and getting a WiiM, but what about the volume!!? Full circle!!
DACs are very difficult to tell apart, and 'transparent' DACs, by measurement, probably can't be distinguished by listening alone. You have a state-of-the-art DAC.

Streaming is about functionality. I have an RME, and I use a Raspberry pi running ROPIEE as a streamer (<$100). It works with Apple and Roon. If you need Chromecast, stick with the Wiim as a digital streamer to the RME, or even an old chromecast Audio. There are no *audio* benefits to a specific streamer, only functionality and reliability.

Furthermore, the RME loudness feature is calibrated to the RME volume control, so it won't work properly if you control volume elsewhere in the chain (Wiim). So use the remote, as you say, or get a Sofabaton hub and you can operate it with your phone. There are probably other programmable infrared solutions.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have several RME ADI-2 DAC FS setups and use them in various streaming configurations. Here's my suggestion for maintaining the RME Loudness control option and adding streaming capability:

Option #1
1. MacBook Pro running Audirvana directly connected to USB port on ADI-2 DAC FS. This is my favorite combination. I have another Mac that I can use via screen sharing to control this setup from anywhere in the house. The beauty of this setup is not only does the Mac handle all of the streaming via Audirvana but you can also launch "ADI-2 Remote" and control all the settings on the DAC remotely. Easily modify Loudness settings or EQ. Jump to any of 20 EQ settings you have configured earlier. It's an amazing tool that allows every setting of the RME to be controlled. AND it works remotely with Screen sharing.

Option #2
Wiim mini connected to RME optical port. The Wiim is setup with 0db setting for volume. This uses the Wiim for streaming but bypasses its internal DAC. This allows you to use the iPad or phone for streaming music and the RME ADI-2 remote for volume, Loudness and EQ. Easy to setup and works reliably. I can also use the DLNA function to feed the Wiim via wifi streaming from Audirvana on a MacBook Pro. Lots of options. Wiim mini is a nice inexpensive streamer. No need for its internal DAC or volume control with the RME ADI-2. The cool feature with Wiim mini is it can easily sync audio in multiple rooms with multiple Wiim mini units. That's a nice easy option for whole house audio.

Option #3
RPI4 running Moode with DLNA enabled and plugged directly into RME ADI-2 DAC FS USB port. Setup Moode using 0dB volume and use Audirvana to feed local and streaming music to the RPI4 from the MacBook Pro. You always use the RME volume control so RME Loudness control is fully available.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

maddogc

Well, thank you so very much indeed for your expert advice. I think I will go down the WiiM route, but rather than the mini, would I not be better off with the WiiM Pro, as this is more expensive (and so presumably better!?), but also it doesn't have a DAC.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, thank you so very much indeed for your expert advice. I think I will go down the WiiM route, but rather than the mini, would I not be better off with the WiiM Pro, as this is more expensive (and so presumably better!?), but also it doesn't have a DAC.

You can view a comparison of the Wiim models here:

For me the Wiim mini does the job. As long as you use the optical port out the DAC inside the Wiim is by passed. The Wiim Pro has an ethernet port, Chromcast, Alexa UHD support. If you don't need them then the mini is fine. No difference in streaming quality. Each Wiim has small differences. Choose the best one for you. But while using it with the ADI-2 use the optical out to RME and 0db setting for Wiim volume so RME is the only DAC in use.

Top Bottom