• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamers recommendation

Brandson

Hi all,
I am looking for a streamer that could access my NAS music library, has some streaming services like Spotify but more importantly having two digital inputs (for TV and CD player) and a digital output to connect to my active speakers.

Somehow, I have been having a hard time finding something that meets the criteria. Budget would be max 1500$.

Thanks for the recommendations!

cybernaut667

two digital inputs you mean both optical ?
If optical and coaxial is enough for you
have a look at Yamaha

Yamaha WX-C50

OP
B

Brandson

two digital inputs you mean both optical ?
If optical and coaxial is enough for you
have a look at Yamaha

Yamaha WX-C50
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked it out but it seems it only has one toslink input. I would need a digital input for the TV(toslink) and another one for the CD player (toslink or spdif). This one would not work right?

cybernaut667

Oh yes sorry
I thought this one coax was input.

Analogue input for the cd player is a deal breaker ?

yamaha-wxc-50.jpg

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FWIW optical switchers are cheap. I have three optical inputs (and one analog input) to my WiiM streamer by way of the $20 switcher (with remote). WiiM will also do what you want.

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_231616375.jpg
    PXL_20220527_231616375.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

cybernaut667

Yeah, you can use something like the above proposal. I can't find something exactly like the one you ask. Maybe it doesn't exist yet ;) Either two inputs or the other way around.

This has USB C input.

This one is also close but only analogue output?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dont know your budget or if i fully understand all your needs but check out the zidoo neo s.

cybernaut667

CD player has no analogue output, only digital. Could eventually use the jack from the TV but the integrated DA converter of the TV probably is quite bad :/
The Yamaha is also a DAC. Quite good. So getting the jack out from tv to rca input with a cable will work just fine. But it's preferable to get digital out from tv straight to the optical input and convert something else with some other solution I think

OP
B

Brandson

FWIW optical switchers are cheap. I have three optical inputs (and one analog input) to my WiiM streamer by way of the $20 switcher. WiiM will also do what you want.
This is very interesting indeed, never thought of this option. As I am currently using a Hifiberry digi+ pro, this could be a way of keeping everything I have and use the switch to change source. Thanks
Would be nice to have a single clean box with input selection with a remote though, more convenient. If no
Dont know your budget or if i fully understand all your needs but check out the zidoo neo s.
Budget is max around 1500$ for a good streamer, especially with an intuitive software and app for NAS media usage. I currently use volumio and its quite nice.
FWIW optical switchers are cheap. I have three optical inputs (and one analog input) to my WiiM streamer by way of the $20 switcher (with remote). WiiM will also do what you want.
good option indeed. Would prefer to have a single clean box where i can select input with a remote or app though. if i cannot find, this might be the solution. Thanks!!

OP
B

Brandson

Yeah, you can use something like the above proposal. I can't find something exactly like the one you ask. Maybe it doesn't exist yet ;) Either two inputs or the other way around.

This has USB C input.

This one is also close but only analogue output?

Thanks man! Indeed, seems like such a simple things but I am finding it hard to find a solution. An A/V receiver seems like too much for the purpose.

OP
B

Brandson

Hi again! after some research, I found that the Bluesound Node that was released might tick all boxes. This newer version has an HDMIeARC input, which can be used to connect the TV. It also has a miniTOSLINK that I can use to connect the CD player. It also supports roon. Seems ill give it ago. Any opinion on this device?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi again! after some research, I found that the Bluesound Node that was released might tick all boxes. This newer version has an HDMIeARC input, which can be used to connect the TV. It also has a miniTOSLINK that I can use to connect the CD player. It also supports roon. Seems ill give it ago. Any opinion on this device?
It's great, and from what I can tell it will do everything you need from a streamer.

SoundMix

Find something else other than Node. I had many problems and no help from tech support. Plus, it has lousy test specs.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Our two Nodes work fine and have had no issues (2nd gen and 3rd gen). Internal DAC is lot SOTA but is generally good enough and the 3rd gen has USB out for hooking up to an outboard DAC

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
My Node 2i has worked flawlessly for several years now. I have several other higher rated/tested DACs and tried like heck to be able to hear any difference between them and famously failed. While the node DAC did not test well. It did just OK on the test bench of Amir pain. Still comparing it to a better rated DAC I could not hear a difference. The node seems to fit your needs and I doubt you will be disappointed. Bias disclaimer: I own a node so have some Owner’s bias. Read into that what you will.

SoundMix

I use IEM's for critical listening. There is a HUGE difference in the way various DAC's present themselves and IEMs' for that matter. I prefer listening with my portable DAC/player ($2000). I can use it to stream via wifi or bluetooth, to my speakers in various rooms, outdoors, or listen locally. Mine has over 20,000 flac, DTS, and a few MP3's on it (from SACD, CD, vinyl, etc., many 192k) with room for 20,000 more. And it can do MQA, Tidal, Spotify, internet radio, etc. and stream from my main collection stored on a NAS. Portable DAC/Players have other advantages like the ability to show artist pictures, album covers, lyrics, playlists, favorites, genre, EQ, wiki info and more, without Roon.

As for picking a $2000+ streamer or the Bluesound. I'd go with the Bluesound. No streamer is worth that much.

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I was looking for a streamer with a balanced AES digital output for use with Genelec actives; the least expensive option i found was the Cambridge Azur 851N. $1500 for a transport seems a lot to pay however :(

kukocz

Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
I was looking for a streamer with a balanced AES digital output for use with Genelec actives; the least expensive option i found was the Cambridge Azur 851N. $1500 for a transport seems a lot to pay however :(
If you don't mind pi based streamers, i think audiophonics sells a aes hat for ca 50 euros.
I have no experience whatsoever with it.

Top Bottom