• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tall/big sound perception.

Neuro

When listening to mono music on a Yamaha NS1000, a height of 0.65 m next to an Apogee Duetta, a height of 1.5 m, the sound from the Yamaha speaker was perceived as clearly smaller despite the possibility of reproducing higher sound pressure, and more bass with lower distortion.

Another box array speaker with 22 Fountek FR88EX elements was placed next to the other two speakers—height 2.2 m.
I hypothesised that the reflexes of the Apogee speakers created a bigger sound perception.

To my surprise, the sound from the Fountek array speaker was perceived as clearly bigger/taller. The Fountek speaker had no sub-bass, higher distortion and did not reproduce high sound pressures.
The sound was perceived to come from a point at ear height from both the Apogee and Fountek speakers.

Explain this.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Your title uses the word "perception", which I think is important. You perceive the height difference. This perhaps is a function of head, pinna and ear canal shape.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sound stage size and precision is more a function of radiation pattern and room reflections than physical size of the speaker.

BenjaminB

When listening to mono music on a Yamaha NS1000, a height of 0.65 m next to an Apogee Duetta, a height of 1.5 m, the sound from the Yamaha speaker was perceived as clearly smaller despite the possibility of reproducing higher sound pressure, and more bass with lower distortion.

Another box array speaker with 22 Fountek FR88EX elements was placed next to the other two speakers—height 2.2 m.
I hypothesised that the reflexes of the Apogee speakers created a bigger sound perception.

To my surprise, the sound from the Fountek array speaker was perceived as clearly bigger/taller. The Fountek speaker had no sub-bass, higher distortion and did not reproduce high sound pressures.
The sound was perceived to come from a point at ear height from both the Apogee and Fountek speakers.

Explain this.
Interesting experiment, indeed.

Maybe not loudspeaker physical size per se, but very likely the creation of sound wave over a large area - which you have in both the Apogee and the Fountek. This may result in a more plane wave then if from a point source (as the Yamaha is rather like) which will generate a more spherical wave.. A plane wave will have a different radiation pattern and reflections and so on. One could speculate that a plane wave will have less dispersion then a spherical wave at the listening postion.

When you percieve the sound "to come from a point at ear height" does this depend on what height you have your ear? My guess / experience indicate ear height can vary rather much without affecting sound quality.

Which of the three speaker did you prefer?

Top Bottom