• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy Westminster Audition?

Vinyl Rules!

Appalachia where the NC/TN/VA borders intersect
Greetings all. I’m searching for someone who lives (hopefully) within a day’s drive from me (28694), who owns Tannoy Westminster GR OW speakers, and who would be willing to let me come listen to them. My wonderful wife likes their appearance (big sigh of relief :D), but I want to hear a broken in pair without having to fly across the country to Upscale Audio in Los Angeles before I make the investment. I essentially live in BugFuck rural Appalachia, very close to where the NC/VA/TN state lines intersect.:cool:

Anthony LoFi

Hi Vinyl,
I live on the other side of the planet and have owned a pair of DMT 15 which although are not an exactly the same, the sound signature is very similar.
The Westies use the "old" pepper pot HF unit, rather than the straight wave guide in later Studio models, which do have a slightly smoother or averaging frequency response.
I used to be the Tannoy agent in NZ prior to Tannoy being sold from Harmon to the now string of other companies.
Luckily, the "timber range " of speakers are still made in the UK with the same attention to detail and craftmanship.
I sold my only pair to a diamond dealer from South Africa who I believe never really used them, they where a piece of furniture to him.
I used to have in-house frequency response graphs for most models and can remember the WR does have a smooth "harmon curve" in the HF range. My Australian general manager had a pair of GRF memories. When visiting, I spent a few night listening to many types of music.
Like many Tannoy horn speakers, the efficiency with Bryston amps (we were agents also) I learnt quickly how a room interferes with the over all sound at the high SPL these models could devour.

Im not sure what you have been quoted $US but they are around $80K here in Australia.
I know the dealer here would probably export to the US which would mean you could at least discount the local 10% sales tax.

Good luck finding someone to get a real in home demo which you are very astute to do.
Spending that sort of money, the pleasure is in the search and auditions as much as the satisfaction of finally listening.

All the best
Anthony

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I want to hear a broken in pair
Don't worry about that. As soon as you play music on those loudspeakers, they are broken in. Couple of seconds is all that is needed.
How they sound in different rooms is another thing.
But if you like the looks and can afford them, you will, most likely, enjoy them.

Top Bottom