• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teflon pans

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Since we are going on about cookware and comfortable handles, perhaps I should do a bit of shilling for the cookware that I own - Cristel Mutine. These are made in France, have a aluminum core construction that goes up the side of the cookware ensuring even heat distribution, have no rivets on the cooking side of the pan, and most importantly - they have detachable handles. They look like this:

1672931940470.png

The detachable handle function means that you can store the pans easily, they stack up and nest within each other (of course you need to protect your non-stick pan). You can remove the handle when you transfer the pan to the oven. and you can choose from a range of handles in different colours and materials. There is a wide range of pans available along with a range of inserts and accessories, e.g. a pasta cooking insert for your stock pot which also turns your stock pot into a handy deep fryer.

MAB

Major Contributor
How often do you season and with what oil/technique? I think if I put tomatoes in my cast iron pan it would just strip the coating. Mine rinses clean too, but rinsing takes a bit of the coating every time. My pan is usable, but I only really cook steak, bacon and such, would never cook anything saucy or acidic, so interested in what you're doing to yours.
I clean and wipe with water, sometimes just a towel.
I put a few drops of oil when done and heat dry on the stove.
I almost never season (like deep clean, coat with, oil and bake). They stay jet-black with almost no effort. I cook just about anything in them.
Most of my pans are nearly 100 years old. Many from my grandparents. The rest I got used over the years.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is one egg dish I haven't been able to make in anything but a non-stick pan and that is Tortilla de Bacalao (salt cod omelet).

Because you are using a lot of eggs (the recipe I use has 12 eggs in it) it will push most oil out of the way and stick like crazy before it sets properly.
Hmm, I have done tortillas in cast iron before, is it possible that the sides of your pan just aren't as clean or seasoned as well as the bottom?

JaccoW

Hmm, I have done tortillas in cast iron before, is it possible that the sides of your pan just aren't as clean or seasoned as well as the bottom?
No, it stuck to the bottom as well. It's just a hard dish to make in anything but non-stick pans.
Tried it with cast iron, stainless steel and non-stick.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No, it stuck to the bottom as well. It's just a hard dish to make in anything but non-stick pans.
Tried it with cast iron, stainless steel and non-stick.
Interesting- I make tortilla (though not cod, just egg, onion, and potato) in my All Clad sauté pan. No sticking.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Interesting- I make tortilla (though not cod, just egg, onion, and potato) in my All Clad sauté pan. No sticking.
What oil/fat are you using?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think some fats and oils are far better at preventing things sticking to pans than others.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What oil/fat are you using?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think some fats and oils are far better at preventing things sticking to pans than others.
Butter and olive oil.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I think the best performing non-stick coating, i.e. real Teflon as in Tefal pans, is also the most fragile. There are far more durable variants available in all price brackets, from Woll to Pyrolux, but they are not quite as non-stick as Teflon. They also don’t last forever, either.

I don’t usually bother with non-stick. Cast iron and stainless steel serve me well for almost all of my cooking. And of course, the ultimate indulgence – enameled cast iron, as in Staub or Le Creuset :)

EDIT to add: if you use stainless steel cookware you absolutely must use Barkeeper’s Friend for cleaning them. You’re welcome.

dfuller

Major Contributor
In contrast, I fell for some youtuber BS and bought a stainless steel skillet from Misen. Skillet is ok, and the handle is rounded, very smooth, and extremely comfortable to hold. Its also total shit because as soon as you go to tilt the skillet the handle slips in your hand and spills things everywhere. Its 10x worse if your hands are wet, which is pretty frickin common when you are in the kitchen.

I'll take the concave, dig into my hand handle any day over that Misen. In fact, I now look for that as a feature when selecting skillets.
Of the youtube brands, Made In is substantially nicer than Misen. I have a Made In nonstick - it's a good pan with a comfortable (and secure) handle.

Top Bottom