• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The distaff side

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope that it isn't impolite to ask if any members reflect my position of not having met any females who were interested in HiFi?
Music, certainly, but not the artificial way to listen to it best.

DanielT

Major Contributor
You can ask:

I do not know if it interests her. She is probably more interested in talking about Hifi itself. Can I guess.If I were you, I would not have asked her that question.:)

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience interest hifi/audiophile correlates with a person's interests in technology and being curious about how things work and are put together. Not about whether they like music or not. So I'm not too surprised there are less women interested as there are less women interested in going into engineering fields.

My wife greatly appreciates the end results. In fact she can here the differences better than I can. She has no interest in all the different boxes though and why I need them. She is a former engineer who became an artist.

DanielT

Major Contributor
In my experience interest hifi/audiophile correlates with a person's interests in technology and being curious about how things work and are put together. Not about whether they like music or not. So I'm not too surprised there are less women interested as there are less women interested in going into engineering fields.

My wife greatly appreciates the end results. In fact she can here the differences better than I can. She has no interest in all the different boxes though and why I need them. She is a former engineer who became an artist.
General women and technology, gender distribution in Sweden, applicable engineering degree

The proportion of women who take an engineering degree is steadily increasing and more and more engineering specializations are getting an even gender distribution. But the variation is big. There are also specializations where women are few and far between. It shows a new analysis.

It probably differs very much between different countries.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
General women and technology, gender distribution in Sweden, applicable engineering degree

The proportion of women who take an engineering degree is steadily increasing and more and more engineering specializations are getting an even gender distribution. But the variation is big. There are also specializations where women are few and far between. It shows a new analysis.

Agree. It is not because of gender. It is because of cultural and historical roles, biases, and actions that have discouraged women from pursuing these interests. That said, I do also think there are some general genetic predispositions in male and female genders if we look and the general population differences in behaviors between young boys and young girls. They have different behavior patterns on average. Don't take that to mean "all" just statistical average.

Tom C

Major Contributor
My mother’s sister, God rest her soul, was the only one I can think of that I have personally known. There have been a few who have participated in this forum, but just a handful.

Tom C

Major Contributor
There are physical gender differences in human brains, that occur in utero. There are functional differences that can be mapped with advanced MRI techniques. Studies have been done that show different parts of the brain are active in men vs. women when listening to music, for example. Particularly since the differences hold across cultures, it doesn’t follow that the differences are purely cultural and learned.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. It is not because of gender. It is because of cultural and historical roles, biases, and actions that have discouraged women from pursuing these interests. That said, I do also think there are some general genetic predispositions in male and female genders if we look and the general population differences in behaviors between young boys and young girls. They have different behavior patterns on average. Don't take that to mean "all" just statistical average.
I'll add my mother is the one who got me interested in audio when I was a boy. She is more tech interested than my father. She owned and ran a ballet school and so she would pick, purchase, and install all the audio equipment for each studio in her school. She brought that expertise home and so we always had a very nice whole home audio system at home as well. My father also enjoyed it but didn't have the same level of understanding of the equipment as my mom does. Just recently in fact I remotely helped her piece together a stereo system for her condo. She bought a pair of Elac dbr62s based on listening to my pair and the reviews on this site. Then went out on her own and found an old reciever and cd player at Goodwill. I helped her via Zoom hook it all up so she can now listen to her cds and her TV through the receiver. She loves it and is very happy with it. I helped her but she is the one who wired it all up and had the patience and understanding to work through connecting everything together properly.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
And in fairness Prana, on the recent Wilson Tiny Tots thread, we are told that it was females who chose the speakers for a couple of the respondents!

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Also, "running in from the kitchen"! How dare they, don't they know their place!

DanielT

Major Contributor
shot_2022-01-08_21-15-14.png

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I have been reading this thread to my Missus and she has just given me a very wry look.
Possibly my bed time!

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Oddly enough Daniel, I have just played some Ozark Mountain Daredevils , Ry Cooder, and finished with "She's got the devil in her heart", The Beatles. What more can a man do?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Oddly enough Daniel, I have just played some Ozark Mountain Daredevils , Ry Cooder, and finished with "She's got the devil in her heart", The Beatles. What more can a man do?
Well, that is a question that I think a woman would give you good tips and advice on.;)

In any case, ..ehh hm best that we stick to Hifi.o_O

Katji

Major Contributor
There are physical gender differences in human brains, that occur in utero. There are functional differences that can be mapped with advanced MRI techniques. Studies have been done that show different parts of the brain are active in men vs. women when listening to music, for example. Particularly since the differences hold across cultures, it doesn’t follow that the differences are purely cultural and learned.
Listening/response difference, probably no correlation with tendency to interest in hi-fi/audio equipment.
(Or more specifically, interest in audiophile forums or hi-fi clubs.)

In music production, interest in hardware and software, including analog synths, it seems more like 50-50 to me.
Dj/producers, regarding speakers/monitors and audio interfaces, interest in UIX, some are more interested than others, male or female.

Katji

Major Contributor

It seems to confirm what I thought - that there are more female graduates in civil eng., water and waste and transport systems and so on, than in electronic eng. ...It seems to be similar pattern in other countries.

Top Bottom