• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Matrix Resurrections what a horrible movie...

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched Matrix Resurrections the day it came out on HBO. Some early reviews I saw said it was the best sequel for the series. They must have seen a different movie than I/my wife! What the heck happened to Keanu Reeves? Did he forget how to act all of a sudden? The man has the same tone and mood during the entire movie. Even secondary actors sounded a lot more natural than him. And oh, all of a sudden he is not "the one?" Forgot to fly too?

It amazes me that people who make movies can't see when a project is going south early in the process and make course correction. I guess they get most of their money up front and could care less what the end result is.

This thing is not even worth watching it for free as we did. If you have not seen it, I suggest passing on it as to not ruin the memory of the original movies.
+1 a myth died:facepalm: The same can be said about Star Trek Discovery season4

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I guess my expectations/hopes were too different from what the makers had in mind (did not see any trailers nor read about it).

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I’ve watched it twice. In short: some post-ironic bullshit. The story is some kind of nonsense. 4k HDR postproduction looks a bit too realistic like theatrical performance. As a sequel for the trilogy it’s horrible. But it’s better than Friends: The Reunion ))

D

Deleted member 39414

I loved Matrix. I watched the followups because Darrow is a stud and a lot of his concepts were well translated into CG. As for stories, no idea what the purpose of it is. Utterly vapid. The newest one seemed to be a satire but the gags didn’t land. New agent smith was charismatic as hell. Art direction/cinematography seemed decent. 3/10.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You made it to season 4 on Star Trek Discovery???? Wow.
Season 1 an 2 where not bad (story Line mirror univers etc) 3 an especially 4 sucks. Not about syfy any more more theatrical character development to save cost i guess
:facepalm:

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I suggest passing on it as to not ruin the memory of the original movies.
I had managed to avoid seeing the original Matrix movie until quite recently. However, after finally seeing it I was still surprised how non-thrilled I was by it. What a massively overrated movie ...

If the sequel is even worse then it really must be a stinker!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had managed to avoid seeing the original Matrix movie until quite recently. However, after finally seeing it I was still surprised how non-thrilled I was by it. What a massively overrated movie ...
I think it makes a difference if you see the original now vs when it came out. Those special effects at the time were so fresh and new that they took your breath away. Now, they seem ordinary. And of course the computer references of the era with CRT monitors and such, looks darn right antique now but again, was correct for the era. Ditto for dial up modems although I think they were on their way out already by the time the movie came out.

charleski

Major Contributor
Do you want some Meta with your Meta?

The movie’s only saving grace is that it spent a little more time examining the recursive implications of the whole ‘living in a simulation’ concept. I still cannot believe that some people took the ‘philosophy’ of the original movie seriously (this is just one example of the numerous attempts to cash in on poorly-educated Matrix fans). But I did smile at the bit where they imply that the original films themselves were a plot by machine overlords to distract us from our enslavement.

Obviously this whole idea is BS that just ends up spinning around and eating it’s own tail and if Wachowski had any real integrity she’d have exposed that properly rather than just suggesting at it. Then again, there’s so much BS in the original movie (using humans as electrical generators … lol) that the whole thing is unsalvageable. It’s a cool action movie (and the original was very cool indeed), but don’t bother trying to deconstruct it.

Keanu is … Keanu. You either like him as an actor or you don’t. Personally I’m a fan (and he’s apparently a really nice guy) so I didn’t have any problem with the acting. I thought the film was better than the confused mess of the 2nd and 3rd outings, but as Amir said none of the follow-ups come close to seeing the first film at the time it came out.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I believe Warner Brothers was going to make this with or without the Wachowskis. This was overtly referenced in the movie. I enjoyed the nostalgia, but this Mateix did nothing to progress the story. I still rewatch the first and the highway scene from the second.

If I want to see an unemotional Keanu kick ass, the John Wick movies are far better.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't think it was particularly great, but I didn't think it was awful either, average would be my rating. Not a movie I am in a hurry to watch again, but it was enjoyable enough.

Top Bottom