• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

DonR

Major Contributor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Already under discussion in the dreaded vinyl renaissance thread.

For everyone's sake, I do hope that as a purveyor of news they can see past our other favourite pastimes these days - ignoring facts, ignoring science, ignoring truth... oh dear :facepalm:

CapMan

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My pet theory remains: people like the groove noise.

threni

Major Contributor
A shame to see this in The Observer / Guardian as they are two of the more reliable and fact based news publications in the UK right now .

I agree but that said, the Guardian is one of the more "studenty" rags these days with a bias towards the various "religions" students are into, one of which is vinyl, so you have to read it with that bias in mind. Like with Topping/Schiit etc shamelessly using hires/mqa/subjective jargon/branding I just accept it as part of the whole ecosystem which allows the products to exist, at that price etc.

Besides, when I see words like "warm" and "rich" I never assume the writer is struggling to find the word "neutral" or "accurate".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is so great when the noise grooves and the kick is the occasional pop and crackle.
My vastly unpopular guess is that such noises cover up small problems in the playback system, probably speakers. Anywhere but ASR I'm sure I'd be tarred and feathered ;)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Isn’t it just a familiar sound, at least for those of us of a certain age, for the life of me I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t already have a vinyl collection would buy a turntable now.
Keith

olieb

My vastly unpopular guess is that such noises cover up small problems in the playback system, probably speakers.
Maybe for some but I wonder what is driving this vinyl mania. The kids of my siblings do not care much for the sound quality. They are into vinyl more for the coolness and because it is different. And noise and other defects just are part of the cult - as long as these are not too annoying. My nephew made a long face when one of his (new) records had a strong rustle every 2 sec because the pressing was obviously faulty. But otherwise ...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe for some but I wonder what is driving this vinyl mania. The kids of my siblings do not care much for the sound quality. They are into vinyl more for the coolness and because it is different. And noise and other defects just are part of the cult - as long as these are not too annoying. My nephew made a long face when one of his (new) records had a strong rustle every 2 sec because the pressing was obviously faulty. But otherwise ...
Yes, it's trendy right now, like "old fashioned" things sometimes are. But we have a lot of people even here who love it. Gotta think there's a reason.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

olieb

Yes, it's trendy right now, like "old fashioned" things sometimes are. But we have a lot of people even here who love it. Gotta think there's a reason.
I do not think the reason is in SQ.
Mostly it seems about
- old collections (I can relate to that)
- "cultural" reasons as conserving some idea of "tradition"
- psychological and attention span reasons as some people hope to concentrate more if listening is less convenient and therefore skipping is reduced

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My pet theory remains: people like the groove noise.
In all (well... some) seriousness, I think there's something to that. Starting play of a quiet record yields an ineffable ;) but unmistakable sense of space opening up in the listening room as that background noise is transduced.

That said, I mean, all y'all digital guys added dither to music data a long time ago, right? ;)

PS I am waiting for ICE autos with hand crank starters to make a comeback. Should be exciting on a big ol' Amurrican pickup truck.

jacobacci

A shame to see this in The Observer / Guardian as they are two of the more reliable and fact based news publications in the UK right now .

I get it that this forum is about identifying the lowest cost way to achieve transparent sound reproduction. And in its work (and especially Amir's huge investment into measuring devices) it has contributed significantly to the development of the state of the art in the industry.
I do wonder however why some members of the forum continuously belittle anyone who does not share the two ideals of the forum, transparent reproduction and low price. It is one thing if someone touts his differing views in this forum, hoping to change the views of the members 'to the better', but the Observer has done nothing than describe the vinyl revival in different aspects on its own turn. Obviously vinyl lovers do NOT strive for transparency or low cost. What is wrong in striving for a rich and warm sound if one happens to like that and one has money to devote to that?
Happy new year and all the best for 2024 everyone

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I do wonder however why some members of the forum continuously belittle anyone who does not share the two ideals of the forum, transparent reproduction and low price.
Especially when some of them also wear eye-wateringly expensive, meticulously engineered, beautifully crafted, and demonstrably (quantitatively) poor-performing mechanical watches on their wrists. :)
One of my favorite ironies.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the days of BT earbuds, or just listening to music casually on phones speaker or a laptop, the LP requires the owner to make some effort, touch the physical disc, look at the large album art, sit down and listen, for a short time before turning the disc over.
It means that listening to music becomes a ritual! with careful handling and paying attention to details.
of course it is more enjoyable.
Observer got that part right.

Is ASR getting more traffic these days, because the News is so heart wrenching?
I wonder . . .

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In all (well... some) seriousness, I think there's something to that. Starting play of a quiet record yields an ineffable ;) but unmistakable sense of space opening up in the listening room as that background noise is transduced.
I recall that from my vinyl days: the needle drops, a pop, then the groove noise. Here we go!!!

olieb

I recall that from my vinyl days: the needle drops, a pop, then the groove noise. Here we go!!!
Yeah, there were even people who missed that when going to a (classical) concert. Not the real thing without (groove) noise.

Top Bottom