• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Pineapple Thief – It Leads To This – Comparison Blu-ray stereo , 5.1, Dolby Atmos, Tidal MAX, CD. Is the blu-ray the new “audiophile” media?

Jean.Francois

Hello,
After albums such as "Abducting the Unicorn" and "Magnolia", The Pineapple Thief are back with their 15th album, "It Leads to This", featuring 8 songs.

It Leads To This - small.jpg

For this review, 5 versions are tested: Blu-ray with Stereo , 5.1 , Dolby Atmos , Tidal Max Flac and CD.

The 4 waveforms below show the difference in dynamic range between the CD (DR10), Tidal(DR8) and blu-ray (DR14) versions.
Blu-ray offers the best dynamic range for the stereo version, which is similar to the Dolby Atmos version.
waveform - It Leads To This - Comparison -- small .jpg

The blu-ray edition comes as a pleasant surprise, offering the most dynamic stereo version of all, unlike the other editions!

Why use blu-ray as a quality medium?
On blu-ray, to change sound tracks without having a variation in level between tracks, the tracks are aligned at the same sound level. Dolby Atmos is the reference, with its maximum integrated level of -18 LUFS.
For the stereo track, they didn't just take the dynamically compressed version and lower the level, they made a master without a dynamic limiter. That's why the blu-ray has the most dynamic stereo track! This is an approach to be followed for all albums.

After a very dynamic stereo blu-ray version, we find a Dolby Atmos version designed to immerse us in the album's sound space. In 9.1.4 listening, we can even hear the vocals on the widescreen speakers, rather than the front ones. The music and the backing vocals surround us with perfect homogeneity. A new reference in Dolby Atmos, which with Dolby TrueHD encoding (lossless format) retains all the precision of music and spatialization.
This Dolby Atmos version offers one of the highest spatializations ever encountered (average value of 9.5).
It Leads To This (Atmos) - Spatialization 9.5 (9.1-9.6) -- small.jpg

Physical media haven't said their last word: if you want to enjoy your music at maximum quality, you should choose CD or, even better, blu-ray, which is the "audiophile" medium, with no dynamic range limitations, and which contains the best stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos versions.

Find extracts from the different versions for comparison here, as well as all the measurements (DR, waveforn, spectrum).

Enjoy listening
Jean-François

Tell

A CD (and even Spotifys lossy OGG Vorbis) can deliver the exact same dynamics a Dolby Atmos bluray. So in that sense I wouldn't say that bluray is any kind of reference when it comes to sound quality no.
But yeah if we do take those extra channels into account it could be interesting for some type of music, electronic psychedelic music could probably be quite fun! But I'm quite happy with my stereo setup as it is, I just need some more dynamics, so lets hope that Atmos can inspire artists to release their music with the same dynamics in regular stereo as well :)

Verig

I really don't want physical media anymore. The question is why wouldn't they just release 1) not crushed stereo stream 2) Atmos stream / download.
I'd love some proper Atmos music.

nerdstrike

Well isn't that interesting. Lousy way to grab a track though. Like finding something in her middle of a tape.

keenly

I really don't want physical media anymore. The question is why wouldn't they just release 1) not crushed stereo stream 2) Atmos stream / download.
I'd love some proper Atmos music.
Blu rays are great!

Godataloss

I must say that after installing an Atmos theater, I am only occasionally impressed beyond my previous 5.2 system. The dearth of content may be most to blame I suppose. I find myself most often run things in DTS and set levels manually by ear for each program because material is so wildly different. My feeling is the industry is pulling back from releasing 4k Blu-rays which is a shame because I think the availability of superior media is what has always driven advances as well as adoption in home theater. Streaming availability of higher quality video and especially audio material has also seemed to have taken a step back recently. I suspect the major streaming services are conserving bandwidth costs now that there increased competition.

Top Bottom