• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The truth about Apple Engineering?

Grave

Build a PC yourself and it is not overpriced.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't speak for latest Mac OS but I am amazed at the load Win 10 presents just to boot up. You need a very powerful computer to just run a basic install of 10 and not have it be slow as molasses. There must be a ton of background processes running or some confused arse code behind the whole thing.
In the end though it looks like the days of home computing as we knew it are over. For the day to day emailing, faceplant, websurfing, etc; most now are using a telephone. Hummm, kind of a circular technology. LOL

You can have good, efficient, cost-effective home computing if you have the cajones to install a lightweight distro of Linux. Yes, desktop Linux was rough for a long time, but no more. It now works fine for all basic home/office tasks and installs on any decently fast machine in less than 15 minutes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You can have good, efficient, cost-effective home computing if you have the cajones to install a lightweight distro of Linux. Yes, desktop Linux was rough for a long time, but no more. It now works fine for all basic home/office tasks and installs on any decently fast machine in less than 15 minutes.
Absolutely, For 90% of the home desktop users a Linux distro install of something like PCLOS or Mint will make a monkey out of Win 10.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Absolutely, For 90% of the home desktop users a Linux distro install of something like PCLOS or Mint will make a monkey out of Win 10

The issue is, however, 90% of home users are really only using... (I overheard this in a big box store the other day) :

"No, I don't need any RAM or storage, I want it to 'do' Google, Facebook, Instagram and e-mail (emphasis on the e) and 'me' internet banking and Amazon. Can it do that?"

I cringed.

In fact I said to my partner, selling them a computer is irresponsible, a bit like a bar serving someone already intoxicated or a car to someone with no license....

Wombat

Master Contributor
The issue is, however, 90% of home users are really only using... (I overheard this in a big box store the other day) :

"No, I don't need any RAM or storage, I want it to 'do' Google, Facebook, Instagram and e-mail (emphasis on the e) and 'me' internet banking and Amazon. Can it do that?"

I cringed.

In fact I said to my partner, selling them a computer is irresponsible, a bit like a bar serving someone already intoxicated or a car to someone with no license....

Most of us fit that description. Remove Facebook, Instagram, Amazon(I use Ebay mostly) and internet banking for me. Handy for information, forum, news and photography stuff.
For personal(computer) use most people could be happy with a pre XP machine. Planned obsolescence is becoming useless in value terms.

Computers have become modern 'white-goods' for the masses and their 'phones do it all anyhow - who needs a computer to share mundanities?

Last edited:
Top Bottom