• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The ultimate low cost solution for room correction?

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fair enough. But personally I don't do vinyl and want nothing between my DAC and amp except a cable.
Whatever. Each to their own.

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
REW might be free but it is simply for measurement. MathAudio does much more. Check it out.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish it had a remote or wifi app to change the PEQ programs or maybe I missed that. I have a large room with several use and seating situations.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
E

Eliopolis

I didn't know MathAudio Room EQ, thanks Chr1 for the report! However, it is not entirely correct that it is free: only the plugin version for Foobar is free, if you want to use RoomEQ as a VST plugin for Windows or for MAC, the cost of the license is €99.95 (or dollars)...and you must still have a PC/Mac in the listening room from which the audio signal passes (if I understand correctly). And I wouldn't want to keep a PC turned on where I listen to music...so I'm looking for a "stand alone" low cost hardware device that's easy to configure, that does the job and that I can forget about, hidden behind my preamp...

sejarzo

Forum Donor
REW might be free but it is simply for measurement. MathAudio does much more. Check it out.

If you mean that REW can only measure then generate user-configurable filters for use by other software or hardware, that's correct.

What's between your source files and your DAC, if I may ask?

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Are the threads on a microphone holder the same as on a photographic tripod?

Generally not. Tripods usually have a 1/4"-20 thread, and many of the mics supplied with AVRs for Audyssey etc. have those threads.

There there are two standards for "real" mic clips, 3/8" and 5/8" (unsure of the TPI on those.) Ergo, that's why a plethora of these exist:

1708734288724.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I wish it had a remote or wifi app to change the PEQ programs or maybe I missed that. I have a large room with several use and seating situations.

Everything I read indicates that its intended use is for monitors at a mixing desk rather than consumer use, so there's no need for any of what you suggest.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Generally not. Tripods usually have a 1/4"-20 thread, and many of the mics supplied with AVRs for Audyssey etc. have those threads.

There there are two standards for "real" mic clips, 3/8" and 5/8" (unsure of the TPI on those.) Ergo, that's why a plethora of these exist:

View attachment 351830

tripods for heavier gear or professional gear are almost always 3/8" and then you get a 1/4" adapter.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
tripods for heavier gear or professional gear are almost always 3/8" and then you get a 1/4" adapter.

Thanks--given that @Count Arthur seemed to want to save money by not buying a real microphone stand, I assume he wished to use a typical consumer photo tripod.

That being said, $20 on eBay gets you a fully functional tripod base boom mic stand that is more than adequate for audiophile use.

I actually got a deal from Guitar Center on a folding tripod-base boom mic stand with a cheap dynamic cardioid and, XLR cable for less than their otherwise cheapest mic stand during an overstock sale years ago.

DLS79

Forum Donor
That being said, $20 on eBay gets you a fully functional tripod base boom mic stand that is more than adequate for audiophile use.

yea, you can get good desktop stands for <$10 and floor standing ones int he $20-25 range all over the place. When I'm looking for audio or video gear i almost always start at b&h, just because they have a more targeted audience and the reviews are generally of higher quality. Sometimes I buy from them, sometimes amazon etc.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
yea, you can get good desktop stands for <$10 and floor standing ones int he $20-25 range all over the place.

I almost wish I bought a $10 desktop stand and a cheap gooseneck. Would be simpler to set that on my desk chair or sofa than setting up the floor standing boom and adjusting the mic into my listening position.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Thanks--given that @Count Arthur seemed to want to save money by not buying a real microphone stand, I assume he wished to use a typical consumer photo tripod.

I actually got a deal from Guitar Center on a folding tripod-base boom mic stand with a cheap dynamic cardioid and, XLR cable for less than their otherwise cheapest mic stand during an overstock sale years ago.
I already have a camera tripod, but it looks like you can get a whole 5/8" threaded mic stand for less than an adapter:

1708738611784.png

I'm sure it's absolutely top quality. :)

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I already have a camera tripod, but it looks like you can get a whole 5/8" threaded mic stand for less than an adapter:
I'm sure it's absolutely top quality. :)

Indeed, which is why I have a cheap mic stand in the closet that's only been used a handful of times!

Good enough for government work, as we like to say.

I've been using IK ARC software edition for years. It is great! It works!
Yes, you still need room treatment, but adding of software EQ really helps it out.
There used to be a free trial of the software only version. Maybe they still have it?
The Linear Phase EQ is only available in the digital domain, but to my subjective hearing it is far more transparent and natural, compared to what they are calling "Natural Phase" EQ. Natural phase to me is Analog like EQ with more phase issues.
To each their own, and I can tolerate the latency of Phase Linear EQ and I like it.
If there is a free trial, it is worth a try.

Chr1

Forum Donor
If you mean that REW can only measure then generate user-configurable filters for use by other software or hardware, that's correct.

What's between your source files and your DAC, if I may ask?
No worries... Either a Beelink or a Minix fanless MiniPC, running Foobar2000 and MathAudio RoomEQ. Room dependant.
(Edit: Marantz CR610 in the kitchen.)

sejarzo

Forum Donor
No worries... Either a Beelink or a Minix fanless MiniPC, running Foobar2000 and MathAudio RoomEQ. Room dependant.
(Edit: Marantz CR610 in the kitchen.)

My rigs are both PCs running Foobar2000 to USB DACs, and I use the convolver component to EQ headphones or for room correction via filters generated in REW and exported as .wavs.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...free if you also use (free) Foobar2K on Windows as the host software.

Or am I missing something?
No, I had Foobar and all my music on my computer but wanted to free myself from my computer and all fooling around with Foobar. Then 2017 I got a NAS and Bluesound Nodes which allowed me to have all my music, several streaming services and internet radio on one dashboard on a wifi tablet in three rooms with someone else curating it and no computer. That is the market for this device, no computer. Its seems like a vale in the no computer attached market.

Chr1

Forum Donor
No, I had Foobar and all my music on my computer but wanted to free myself from my computer and all fooling around with Foobar. Then 2017 I got a NAS and Bluesound Nodes which allowed me to have all my music, several streaming services and internet radio on one dashboard on a wifi tablet in three rooms with someone else curating it and no computer. That is the market for this device, no computer. Its seems like a vale in the no computer attached market.
What room correction are you using with this setup?

Top Bottom