• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal: 6 Months Left

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Tidal’s cash on hand enough for 6 more months. I can see why Jay-Z was so desperate to flip Tidal as soon as he bought it.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I'm crying already to see poor people go. But it's the audiophile community who is going to feel the negative impact most. They'll be the one searching for a new home.
We are living some very harsh times...

Time for iTunes, Roon and analog LPs.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I funded a start-up going back some 15+ years ago to stream lossless music. I hate to see us without that option. I wonder how that can by itself be a viable market. Would people pay more than they are right now to Tidal for that? I know I will. It is saving me ton of money buying CDs.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Marvel and DC comics are doing great in Hollywood.
Amazon no doubt.
Twitter* is becoming popular with our leaders and TV channel announcers.
YouTube got good music, with moving pictures.
Tidal was perfect for the car in that center console screen.

* You guys tweet much?
https://thenextweb.com/twitter/

Last edited:
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
If Tidal shuts down, I’ll have to re-evaluate whether I continue to use Roon. I love Roon but Jriver is great too. For me, Tidal integration was the big advantage to using Roon.

OTOH, Jriver’s advantage is its versatility. I can switch between watching Verizon Fios TV, Blu-ray movie and listening to music. I can’t do that with Roon.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI I funded a start-up going back some 15+ years ago to stream lossless music. I hate to see us without that option. I wonder how that can by itself be a viable market. Would people pay more than they are right now to Tidal for that? I know I will. It is saving me ton of money buying CDs.

I wonder how it can cost anywhere close to as much for music streaming, even in CD lossless compared to say Netflix video. I'm not in the business so I reckon somehow it does. Something seems off with that at a glance. Is it because in the time to stream one movie, and pay the industry one cut for 2 hrs one might stream 40 songs and have to pay a cut from each song?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem is the business model/royalty scheme. The music industry was enjoying the drug of selling a CD for $13 and before that the LP. Now you can subscribe to all you can eat for less than the price of one CD! For that reason, both the video and music content owners hate, hate, hate subscription services. As such, they do everything they can to boost their royalties and if that means the music distributor goes out of business, so be it.

The same is also true of video. The difference there is that old video/movie has little video. So Netflix was able to license a bunch of that for a song. That is not the case with music. Beatles music is old but highly desirable. New movies are expensive though and studios want to sell it at retail instead of Netflix showing it under subscription. So what does Netflix do? Create its own content! Much like HBO did before that. And broadcast TV did the same with mini-series and such.

Technology has moves so much faster than business models for distributing music and video.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Credit to them, bad time for Jay-Z as his roc nation boxing promotion company has been a disaster too. He seems to get into difficulties when being jay-Z is not enough.

For tidal to have been successful they would need the music industry to recognise the value of the extra quality on offer and give them a discounted royalty charge... else tidal are stuck with charging more and ultimately having less customers as the larger subscription services. In a very competitive market when you make so little as amir pointed out volume is key, plus there will be (is) other lossless companies popping up diluting tidal market share potential so not a great investment.

Nothings in their favour but got to thank them for being the first to really push this level of quality and service. Hope Roon survives as I’m sure Michael won’t be the only person thinking of ditching it if tidal... drowns.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
May Jay Z and his gangster crew's Tidal go down like like the Titanic.
Marry Christmas, Ho Ho Ho.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The solution is an agreement between the streaming companies to stop competing on price, and start competing on content - and raise the baseline subscription price to 25 USD a month for example. Spotify's free tier option should have been discarded long ago. Plus aggressive legal action against illegal downloading and piracy.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The solution is an agreement between the streaming companies to stop competing on price, and start competing on content - and raise the baseline subscription price to 25 USD a month for example. Spotify's free tier option should have been discarded long ago. Plus aggressive legal action against illegal downloading and piracy.

Is such business collusion legal?

Darwin

If you read the Roon forum discussion on this they are in some deep denial on this subject.
I’m a big Roon fan especially for its direct connect to my Kef LS50W speakers and use it with Tidal extensively.
I pay for Tidal, Pandora. and Apple Music.
I like MQA on Tidal a lot but if Tidal goes my iTunes library and FLAC files can fill in but there is currently no streaming option for Roon other than Tidal. I’m going to guess not too many other streaming companies want their interface usurped by Roon.
Tidal is out of investors and their owners show no signs of putting their own money in.
People still seem to be surprised to hear Spotify has never made a profit and shows no signs of doing so anytime soon.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Tidal and generally like it, but, for four reasons, I still maintain a large collection of music on hard disks, mostly ripped from digital discs.

• First, I worry that Tidal et al. will switch to MQA (or some other proprietary format) and require users to use special hardware to get acceptable performance.
  • Second, it seems possible that the lossless services could disappear.
  • Third, the selection of classical music on Tidal is suboptimal.
  • Fourth, HDTracks charges way too much for downloads. (And HDTracks' download interface is worse than appalling, but that's a different subject.) I'll maintain my library just to know that I won't have to repay for the same tracks all over again.
Thus, I'm not losing sleep over the possibility of Tidal's disappearance, but I'll be sad if it goes.

Top Bottom