• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal to launch hi-res flac in August

Anonamemouse

As long as I don't know what the source is, I'm not interested.
Good sound comes from mixing well and mastering that mix to perfection. Not from high resolution.

OP
SKBubba

SKBubba

This is great news for Tidal subscribers who prefer hi-res content (not sad at all to see MQA go away). That said, I'm one of those savages who listens at 16/44.1 or even 256 AAC (gasp!) :)

Yes, not clear if they are removing mqa fron the (near) cd-quality hi-fi tier and going to native flac. Hope so.

OP
SKBubba

SKBubba

Yes, not clear if they are removing mqa fron the (near) cd-quality hi-fi tier and going to native flac. Hope so.

Asked and answered:

What about the cd quality hi-fi tier? Will it be native 16/44.1 redbook flac with no mqa?

TIDAL_Anders
Hello! I'm Anders and I work on the Product team at TIDAL.

Thank you for that question! Eventually yes. We're working through the catalogue as we get new and old content refreshed with FLAC as the source file.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Asked and answered:

What about the cd quality hi-fi tier? Will it be native 16/44.1 redbook flac with no mqa?

TIDAL_Anders
Hello! I'm Anders and I work on the Product team at TIDAL.

Thank you for that question! Eventually yes. We're working through the catalogue as we get new and old content refreshed with FLAC as the source file.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the follow-up.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like good news. Especially if we don't need to have any further MQA threads, after this one.

Do they still have watermarking?

Pat_

hello. i am a tidal hifi plus subscriber running tidal windows10 desktop app connected to ifi zen dac v2. if i am playing a hi-res Flac track, then which component in my setup is doing the Flac to PCM conversion and how do I optimise this step in order to preserve a lossless sound ?

Top Bottom