• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Tallulah

And I can tell you that the power supply noise rejection ratio of DX1 is not the best.
I did hear some noise from my DX1 but only when I was not listening to any music. For example, when someone turned on/off lights in my house. I'm wondering if the noise filter is turned off when there is no sound coming out. Do you experience your issue also while listening to music? If so I guess that the noise in my case is not loud enough to be audible when I'm listening to music

Alexium

It's a constant volume noise, so yes, present with music, and audible. With the cheap chinese DAC that I mentioned the noise is the same, but quiter, music masks it. Which is odd because DX1 uses a boost converter, I would expect it to have much better PSRR. Maybe it's the DAC stage that's noisy (I don't know whether or not it's fed by the boost converter, I just assume it's not).

DX1 has some sort of stand-by mute that removes the noise after a couple seconds of input not being active. Since it can cut the noise off, this is another indication that it's the DAC stage and not the amp stage. This also means that the amp stage is exceptionally well isolated.
Or, it just cuts power to the headphone amp and then the above is not true.

Last edited:

OlolOshnik

If you use grounding (three-wire electrical network) - this is normal. Or vice versa :-/
I would try to play around with the grounding of the computer.

Alexium

No, this is not a ground loop and I do not have a third wire in the outlet. As I explained before, the noise on the output is not DX1's fault, it is caused by noisy power supply that's failing (or maybe not entirely failing but a capacitor gave up). I'm just surprised that power supply noise rejection in the DX1 is not better than it is (but it's not terrible either). And especially surprised that a cheapo simple Chinese DAC+headamp has better noise rejection.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, this is not a ground loop and I do not have a third wire in the outlet. As I explained before, the noise on the output is not DX1's fault, it is caused by noisy power supply that's failing (or maybe not entirely failing but a capacitor gave up). I'm just surprised that power supply noise rejection in the DX1 is not better than it is (but it's not terrible either). And especially surprised that a cheapo simple Chinese DAC+headamp has better noise rejection.
A possible explanation: the AK4493 DAC used in the DX1 may be implemented with a higher reference voltage (Vref) than the ES9023 used on your cheap board. With a failed 5V power supply, the AK4493 may “see” more dips below Vref (what the LDOs can’t regulate) than the ES9023 and react more/faster to those (the AK4493 is a 768kHz capable chip, the ES9023 is limited to 192kHz, and your USB switching frequency may be around 300kHz).
But does it matter? I read your post as saying “the DX1 screams louder” (the noise…) that something is wrong than your cheap board. It’s like saying that the engine light on this expensive car blinks faster and stronger than the one on that cheap car…. To me, the fact that both DACs survived a failed power supply is “good enough”.

TheOnlyAsumi

Can anyone test the difference with and without installing driver of the DX1? I noticed the sounstage as a bit narrower after installing the driver compared to without the driver.

Transmaniacon

Is this a good budget option for the HD6XX. Is there anything in the $100 that compares or beats the DX1?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this a good budget option for the HD6XX. Is there anything in the $100 that compares or beats the DX1?
The Qudelix 5K beats the DX1 slightly in output volume, and beats it massively in features and flexibility.

It has worse SINAD than the DX1, but with its built-in Parametric EQ, it'll sound better anyway.

It's clearly another class of device though.
If I was looking for an idiot-proof, plug-and-play, USB in->headphone out box with a nice volume knob, then the DX1 would be my first choice.

Transmaniacon

The Qudelix 5K beats the DX1 slightly in output volume, and beats it massively in features and flexibility.

It has worse SINAD than the DX1, but with its built-in Parametric EQ, it'll sound better anyway.

It's clearly another class of device though.
If I was looking for an idiot-proof, plug-and-play, USB in->headphone out box with a nice volume knob, then the DX1 would be my first choice.
Thanks, I prefer the form factor of the DX1 and just want an upgrade over my onboard audio for the HD6XX. The DX1 sounds like a good choice!

D

Deleted member 65547

Ordered today on Amazon (used in excellent condition for around €70), I love the sound of the AK4493SEQ.
I already use them in the pair of SMSL Sanskrit MK3 that drive my pair of A07 amplifiers, and I can't wait to listen to them in headphones.
I just have one doubt about the power being taken from the same USB used for data, I think I'll make a small change to mine.
I always try to power everything that deals with low level signals from the battery (Power Bank for 5V), which is possible but inconvenient if only one connector is used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tallulah

I'm having an issue with my DX1 and I'd like to ask here just in case anybody else knows a solution... I recently upgraded my laptop and now my DX1 randomly stops working every 2 hours or so. It stops outputting audio and in order to fix it I have to disconnect the USB and connect it again. For some reason, this happens with the three rear USB ports, but not with the side port.

My laptop is a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H. All four ports are supposed to be USB 3.2 Gen 1. I noticed that the side port (the one that doesn't make any random disconnects to the DX1) outputs lower current since my phone charges slower than in the other ports. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my issue.

I already tried to disable "USB selective suspend setting" on Windows' power plan and also the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the device manager. The rest of USB devices work fine on the rear USB ports, only the Topping DX1 is having issues. I have the latest driver installed (V5.62) and I'm using Windows 11.

Last edited:

Alexium

Does anyone know whether DX1 will work at USB 1.1 (12 Mbps)? I want to plug it in through a USB isolator, those are USB 1.1 max.

staticV3

Master Contributor

OlolOshnik

Hi!
I have dac/amp Audinst hud-dx1 v2(https://www.audinst.com:40007/en/dx1_v2) since 2019. Measurement: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/title-report.php?id=1987.
After the release of Topping dx1 and its measurements, I wanted to change my dac to it. By measurements, it looks better in everything except volume (which I don't need, I listen to music for a maximum of 9 hours on my dac with my Sennheiser HD660s).
I really want to listen to the Ak4493s chip
Is there any sense in such a replacement or will it be a downgrade?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Is there any sense in such a replacement or will it be a downgrade?
You can try it, order from somewhere you can return it. But it's unlikely you will have an appreciable difference.

lmgc1996

Hi guys, I've had a good time with this DAC. Since I bought it it had a failure with the 3.5mm port but I ignored it. Since I was using it mostly through the RCA ports.

Since a few days ago while playing music, the audio drops its volume and starts to sound distorted. I have tried with different cables and the only thing that seems to change is the time it takes for it to go bad again.

Has anyone had something similar happen to them?

lmgc1996

I'm having an issue with my DX1 and I'd like to ask here just in case anybody else knows a solution... I recently upgraded my laptop and now my DX1 randomly stops working every 2 hours or so. It stops outputting audio and in order to fix it I have to disconnect the USB and connect it again. For some reason, this happens with the three rear USB ports, but not with the side port.

My laptop is a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H. All four ports are supposed to be USB 3.2 Gen 1. I noticed that the side port (the one that doesn't make any random disconnects to the DX1) outputs lower current since my phone charges slower than in the other ports. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my issue.

I already tried to disable "USB selective suspend setting" on Windows' power plan and also the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the device manager. The rest of USB devices work fine on the rear USB ports, only the Topping DX1 is having issues. I have the latest driver installed (V5.62) and I'm using Windows 11.
Hi! Funnily enough I'm having the same problem on a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro. Although it doesn't disconnect completely, but turns down the volume and starts to sound distorted.

I think we have a problem in the chip that converts the voltage from the USB port. Because I have tried with different cables, I even bought new ones. And the problem does not take long to appear.

Tallulah

Hi! Funnily enough I'm having the same problem on a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro. Although it doesn't disconnect completely, but turns down the volume and starts to sound distorted.

I think we have a problem in the chip that converts the voltage from the USB port. Because I have tried with different cables, I even bought new ones. And the problem does not take long to appear.
Did you try using the USB port on the right side? It was the only one for me without issues. If you have an Android phone you can easily check the current of the ports with a free app called "Ampere". The port with the lowest current worked great for me.

lmgc1996

Did you try using the USB port on the right side? It was the only one for me without issues. If you have an Android phone you can easily check the current of the ports with a free app called "Ampere". The port with the lowest current worked great for me.
That's a great idea, I'll check each port. I didn't wanna use the right side one because it's the only one at hand for quick use cases. I was thinking of getting a powered USB strip to bypass the Legion power. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Alexium

Does anyone know whether DX1 will work at USB 1.1 (12 Mbps)? I want to plug it in through a USB isolator, those are USB 1.1 max.
To my surprise, DX1 does work at USB 1.1, allowing up to 96 kHz/32 bit. Note, however, that many isolators can only supply up to 1 W of power (200 mA), and DX1 is drawing 1.3 W even at idle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom