• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro crackling through speakers and headphone

Hi everyone,

I have had my DX3 Pro for a year now (V1). Its been great for the most part besides a few quirks such as not working well with my android device and I had some kind of ground loop issue a few months ago where there was a constant hiss coming out of the device for an hour which would disappear when I touched the actual device on its exterior shell (it never repeated that again after that single evening of doing it).

More recently I have started noticing some strange crackling noises coming through my powered monitors and my IEMs which are both plugged into the DX3 Pro, the noises occur at the same time out of the IEMs and the speakers (I just experienced that). It also occurred the other night while I was sleeping, I usually stream music via bluetooth while sleeping and I was awoken by loud crackling noises coming out of my powered monitors. This has been happening intermittently for perhaps two or three months, maybe once a week. There was another incident where this crackling happened and my PC monitors started distorting for a split second at the same time as well (this hasn't happened again). Another issue and I am not sure if its potentially related, the actual power supply of the DX3 Pro is making a repeating-pattern hum that can be heard if you listen closely (I noticed it while fiddling with plugs underneath my desk and it caught my ear).

Do I likely have issues with the power in my house or is something wrong with the DX3 Pro or its power supply perhaps? My PC, speakers and DX3 Pro are all plugged into the same power strip which is plugged directly into the wall (a 3 prong outlet). I cant figure it out and worry about damaging my speakers, headphones and even my PC which is hooked up to it via USB, also not sure if it even is the DX3 Pro. Thanks so much everyone.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's hard to say what's wrong based just on your description. Can you replicate the problem at will? Can you record the crackling?

OP
G
It's hard to say what's wrong based just on your description. Can you replicate the problem at will? Can you record the crackling?

Thanks for the response.

I actually cant recreate, it occurs completely at random from what I have experienced. The crackling I have also not recorded as it disappears relatively quickly. I have recorded the noise coming out of the power supply

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I guess in that case you go methodical:
  1. Check for loose connections.
  2. Check if the sounds are linked to your cellphone, router or computer activity (interference).
  3. Contact Topping.

OP
G
I guess in that case you go methodical:
  1. Check for loose connections.
  2. Check if the sounds are linked to your cellphone, router or computer activity (interference).
  3. Contact Topping.

Thanks. will certainly start eliminating various things one at a time. I think I will start with that power supply and see if it makes any difference

OP
G

REK2575

Hmm, that's very frustrating. I have the V2 and recently did the firmware + drivers upgrade. I'm not sure I really notice any difference -- it plays over ASIO now with the Topping driver but it seemed perfectly fine in WAPASI previously.

Even after the firmware update, I still notice very slight popping between tracks if I'm streaming Qobuz. It's very slight -- definitely nothing on the order of what you are describing -- but it is noticeable. It doesn't happen if I'm just playing my own FLAC files over my PC.

I hope you find a solution!

OP
G
Hmm, that's very frustrating. I have the V2 and recently did the firmware + drivers upgrade. I'm not sure I really notice any difference -- it plays over ASIO now with the Topping driver but it seemed perfectly fine in WAPASI previously.

Even after the firmware update, I still notice very slight popping between tracks if I'm streaming Qobuz. It's very slight -- definitely nothing on the order of what you are describing -- but it is noticeable. It doesn't happen if I'm just playing my own FLAC files over my PC.

I hope you find a solution!

I haven't really noticed popping between tracks, every now and again if I swapped between bluetooth and usb and I turn music on there may be a pop, cant always recreate it, but the crackle is certainly some kind of electrical thing going on. One of my good friends is an audio engineer but since my country is still in lock down he hasn't been able to get to my house to figure out what it could be.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
will these cracks happen if you use the other digital inputs? Coax or toslink for example? if you connect otherwise by cable your phone all day for example? and shut down BT if you are using it.

OP
G
will these cracks happen if you use the other digital inputs? Coax or toslink for example? if you connect otherwise by cable your phone all day for example? and shut down BT if you are using it.

I have actually never tried the optical and coax on the unit! I have always used the USB and bluetooth. Could be something happening with the USB. Its been a few weeks now since I started this thread, I have maybe noticed the crackling noises one or two times more since then, but nothing crazy.

Top Bottom