• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Tobbi

I have a problem with OPTICAL input.
You have another source with an optical output? For example, PC, DVD player, etc.
You will be convinced that DX7Pro is guilty of this situation, or your TV is not working correctly through optics.

renoxd

You have another source with an optical output? For example, PC, DVD player, etc.
You will be convinced that DX7Pro is guilty of this situation, or your TV is not working correctly through optics.

I don't have any other sources

But when i connect TV directly to Speakers (omitting Topping) the sound is fine everywhere :)
What would be best to do is to go with my Topping and cable to someone who has different TV model and some sound system with Optical Input.
I would know if the problem is with the broadcast TV channels (same for both of us) or with TV
Maybe both the devices are actually not compatible in some cases...

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Then the key, at this stage, lies in establishing what is different about Netflix? Why should Netflix be stable when broadcast TV is not? You say that sound drops out on all broadcast TV channels – and all 'online' sources except Netflix?

In what part of the world are you? The answers might lie in your local broadcast standards.

Sorry to repeat myself, but if some sources are consistently OK and other are consistently problematic, the solution lies in identifying the difference that is causing the problem.

Well it can also be looked as one device work with all source and the other one only work with one of them, the simple solution is return the one only work with one source and get something else that also work with everything, and I say this as a very happy DX7 pro owner.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Sorry, I really don't understand that. There's little point returning anything until you have a reasonable clue where the fault is.

ReaderZ

Sorry, I really don't understand that. There's little point returning anything until you have a reasonable clue where the fault is.

Could be a waste of time to find that out, IMHO the point of product like DX7 Pro is to enjoy the sound, not trouble shooting, it's an off shelf product not a DIY project.

Also your suggestion: "The answers might lie in your local broadcast standards. "

So if it is the case, what are you going to do?

Last edited:

Tobbi

From my own experience, I know how bad things are with Samsung with the firmware of their devices, whether it's a TV or smartphone.Write a request to Samsung Technical Support,Tell them about your problems, let them tell you about solutions to this problem, and let them release a software patch for their TVs.
"The answers might lie in your local broadcast standards. "
In fact, this is not a matter of regional television standards. The signal is output the same for everyone. The point is the product software. If the sound is interrupted, this indicates insufficient data caching, therefore, delays appear. This indicates an incompatible TV transmitter optical output setting.

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
I know how bad things are with Samsung
I have a Samsung TV and it does everything it ought, when it should, so your experience appears to be at variance with mine and, in particular, the optical audio output is flawless.

pacman

It seems like the TV optical output is sending data flow and the DX7 interrupts the stream for a moment, detecting a pause in the middle of flow. Either is a fault of TV firmware or DX7? That's the question.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Then explain to him how to properly configure the sound output for optics on Samsung
There's nothing to explain. PCM is the default; if that had been changed, nothing would be audible. If you have intermittent audio on the optical o/p, either i) there is a faulty output ii) the fibre is faulty or too long iii) the receiver is faulty.

I am suggesting a process of elimination to determine which of the three. Please note that I am doing this to help @renoxd if I am able, not have a row about the statistical likelihood of a fault with a Samsung TV of which there are many millions worldwide operating perfectly satisfactorily.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Either is a fault of TV firmware or DX7?
The most likely issue with optical is that, for some reason, the receiver (DX7) is unable to maintain continuous lock on the signal. The firmware in the TV is highly unlikely to be the cause of this kind of intermittent fault. A firmware problem would usually be indicated by a complete failure, typically high level noise or total silence.

With digital audio, “now you hear it – now you don't” is likely to be either an interface issue or some sort of problem with the source material. I am skeptical about the latter because if decent pictures are obtainable, sound ought not be an issue. The general technical requirements for decent digital pictures far exceed those for sound.

renoxd

Guys I'm telling you, when i watch Netflix problem doesn't exist.
When i connect TV to Speakers directly problem also doesn't exist.
Please stop saying that the problem can be with the cable :)

It seems like the TV optical output is sending data flow and the DX7 interrupts the stream for a moment, detecting a pause in the middle of flow. Either is a fault of TV firmware or DX7? That's the question.

Yeah, I will verify that

Pluto

Forum Donor
when i watch Netflix problem doesn't exist
Which points to the source material as the issue...

Then as I have said before, the question that needs to be answered is “what is different about Netflix?”

renoxd

Dx7pro has very high requirements on the input SPDIF signal, including stability, normalization, voltage, jitter, etc. In other words, if the input requirements are high, there will be fewer sources that can be adapted, which may lead to incompatibility. As far as we know, the SPDIF output of TV is generally not standardized enough, so we think it is the problem.

Best Regards,
--------------------

TOPPING SERVICE
proxy

Shtruckk

Hello, i just bought mine two weeks ago, and also i have the same problem with optical input when i connected to my tv, an LG, 5 or 6 years old. The interruptions occur both with TV channels and also when i using youtube, but on NETFLIX i have no sound. I don't have any other device with optical output to test it, to see the problem is with my dac or with the tv signal output. Will be interesting to see if the other devices from topping like E30, D50s or other models have the same issue. Another problem mentioned here was with the bluetooth connection, mine is work fine, no drops out, i test it for about 4 hours with my huawei nova 5t, using TIDAL.

Tobbi

i have the same problem with optical input when i connected to my tv
A Topping representative answered you above. Do not use cheap Korean TVs, read the user manual for your TVs,
you will find a lot of tricks in them, under what conditions and what signal will go to the optical output of the TV.
Do not ask childish (silly) questions. If you do not have a stable optical signal source at home, contact your neighbors and friends.
Never buy Korean TVs. Carefully read the user manual for your TVs,
in them you will find many reservations, under what conditions and what signal will appear on the optical output of your TV.

Shtruckk

@Tobbi, read carrefully what i wrote, there is no question (s) there, you are funny with your advice "Never buy Korean TVs.".

In my previous post, i forgot to tell that, with my av receiver, yamaha rx-v683, i have no drops problem when is connected to my TV using SPDIF.

Tobbi

with my av receiver, yamaha rx-v683
You think very peculiarly. Yamaha rx-v683 is an omnivorous home tool that accepts all formats, from radio signals - AM - FM to 5.1 dts,
a Topping DX7Pro Hi-Fi device that accepts only stereo signals with a sampling of 16 bits to 32 and a frequency of 44.1 up to 768
Explain why you are sending the mp3 signal from the TV to the DAC? You have a homemade yamaha rx-v683 toy for this.
Your TV does not correctly convert the television broadcast signal to PCM through the optical output.

Last edited:

renoxd

Hello, i just bought mine two weeks ago, and also i have the same problem with optical input when i connected to my tv, an LG, 5 or 6 years old. The interruptions occur both with TV channels and also when i using youtube, but on NETFLIX i have no sound. I don't have any other device with optical output to test it, to see the problem is with my dac or with the tv signal output. Will be interesting to see if the other devices from topping like E30, D50s or other models have the same issue. Another problem mentioned here was with the bluetooth connection, mine is work fine, no drops out, i test it for about 4 hours with my huawei nova 5t, using TIDAL.

When you use NETFLIX, probably your TV automatically change output format.
Change format when you have NETFLIX on to proper and you should have a sound.

Top Bottom