• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

Lambrusqa

I've ordered on Jan 2nd through Aliexpress and received on 25th but I'm in eastern Europe. Shipping was pretty fast

HD800Fan

Just heard from Audiophonics that they had a 15% discount when there was black week.
Such a bummer, can't make myself buy this now unless I get it at that.

Lambrusqa

One thing I've noticed compared to DX7 Pro Plus is how much more clicking noises I get when stopping/starting audio and video. I've got new fancy USB cable, latest firmware, drivers, tried wasapi exclusive, all bitrates and settings but these clicks are killing me from time to time
Not to mention some internal almost mechanical click every 6 or 7 DB of volume adjustment. If this does not go away with new firmware or drivers, I might switch back to my DX7

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
One thing I've noticed compared to DX7 Pro Plus is how much more clicking noises I get when stopping/starting audio and video. I've got new fancy USB cable, latest firmware, drivers, tried wasapi exclusive, all bitrates and settings but these clicks are killing me from time to time
Not to mention some internal almost mechanical click every 6 or 7 DB of volume adjustment. If this does not go away with new firmware or drivers, I might switch back to my DX7
Try the ASIO protocol instead of WASAPI to see if the parasitic noises are attenuated or disappear. On the other hand, the noises when changing the volume are normal and are caused by using relays to change the resistance of the volume control. This is the price to pay for this volume control system.

Lambrusqa

If I'm just listening to music or watching a movie it's ok while I don't touch anything. It's in between that's annoying

Lambrusqa

A small update. Switching to standard windows drivers instead of Topping ones seems to have helped. Clicks now at least aren't that obvious and happen less often

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
No I meant is there a benefit to the unit doing the PEQ rather than use something like Equalizer APO on your PC?
If using with iOS/iPadOS devices, definitely yes. As user selectable system-wide custom audio DSP is not possible with those OS’s.

HD800Fan

If using with iOS/iPadOS devices, definitely yes. As user selectable system-wide custom audio DSP is not possible with those OS’s.
Oh well, I'll never buy Apple.

vadwiser

Mine works fine. Its the actual unit reviewed by Sandu (Soundnews). Using it mainly with Hifiman Arya Stealth V3.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 21.40.43_57763dcd.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 21.40.43_57763dcd.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 154

SoundsGood

Got my DX9 from Headphones.com two weeks ago. Very impressive all around driving DCA E3.
Streamer is both Roon ROCK and Innuos PulseMini. Still cannot get DSD files to play, only get hissing noise. Roon shows DSF DSD format and is playing but only hissing sound from the DX9 DAC / Amp.
Any suggestions

HD800Fan

Got mine today, top panel had what I thought were scratches but they were just marks that I could buff out.
Amazing unit, the metal of the case was so cold it hurt my fingers when it got delivered.

Arnas

Got mine today, top panel had what I thought were scratches but they were just marks that I could buff out.
Amazing unit, the metal of the case was so cold it hurt my fingers when it got delivered.
Maybe its a sticker? I dont remember if sticker was on mine...

HD800Fan

Maybe its a sticker? I dont remember if sticker was on mine...
No mine still got the stickers. I'll probably remove those later.
4b575685196955d980438167e73078_65d5fc393c168.jpg

I was just about to send my unit back but luckily I found out my fingernail could remove the marks. The unit looks perfect now.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Glad you removed. Would be shame to live with that.
Don't you know it is a special audiophile sticker that makes the soundstage wider and airier... should not be removed! :rolleyes:

SoundsGood

I got DSD to play using Roon server (ROCK) with attached USB drive. Make sure the volume setting in Roon shows 100% or the DSD files will not play. Sounds amazing.
Yes there is a protective plastic cover over the glass top and yes I found some stray adhesive on one corner that came off easily but at first I thought it was a scratch. Tried three different USB cables and could easily tell a difference in each.
Very pleased with this component.

HD800Fan

Crazy how this has the same MSRP as the D70 pro SABRE and A70 pro stack. That stack might measure slightly better I presume, but really, who wouldn't choose this unit over that? This unit is so nice and good looking.

b407driver

Probably best to let it come to ambient temperature in the box if it's that cold (condensation).
I got DSD to play using Roon server (ROCK) with attached USB drive. Make sure the volume setting in Roon shows 100% or the DSD files will not play. Sounds amazing.
Yes there is a protective plastic cover over the glass top and yes I found some stray adhesive on one corner that came off easily but at first I thought it was a scratch. Tried three different USB cables and could easily tell a difference in each.
Very pleased with this component.
Different in what, color? ;)

TLke893

How does that hybrid volume control (digital and analogue) works exactly? Can anybody enlighten me, please?

HD800Fan

How does that hybrid volume control (digital and analogue) works exactly? Can anybody enlighten me, please?
From -99dB to -89dB you hear the first relay click and after that you hear the relay every 6dB.
I suppose the digital volume does 0-9dB in the first part and after that every time the digital does 5dB the next relay switches and the digital starts over from 0 again.

Top Bottom