• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hi! i got the dt1990s and also a FIIO E10K, wanna upgrade!
Is the E30+L30 the way to go or is there even better options for the money? budget is ~300$ :)

thanks to yall
If you've got a CD player and a computer [I do] you'll need the E30, it's got coax and toslink connectors as well as USB in. Otherwise, flip a coin. I sincerely doubt you can do better than the L30 unless you require balanced connection. I suspect you can do better than the E30, but you'll have to pay.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm not so sure about that at all.
As regards measurements, there are DACs that have better S/N & THD, but not by much. You might be right. I am very happy with my E30.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find beer helps. Though oddly, my tone and coherence diminishes. Hmmm
On the other hand, your auditory abilities may improve after a few beers. Or not. It's a tough call. :p

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
On the other hand, your audory abilities may improve after a few beers. Or not. It's a tough call. :p
A tolerance improving filter kicks in. Unless you think the music sucks. And there's a predictable high-frequency roll-off, akin to old tube gear. For an affective filter adjustment, I suggest cannabis.

CraigShaw

Well, the L30 turned up and, wow! I ended up feeding it from my Marantz and will probably be getting another to do the pictured set up again....
Raspberry Pi 3 receiving lossless music from Roon server >> E30 DAC via USB >> L30 amp >> AKG K702 Quincy Jones (Bass modded)
It sounds fantastic and I dont really need to take it to +9dB on gain.
The Bose Soundlink sounds a mess btw, its been on my bedside collecting dust so i connected it up for the laugh!
As for the L30, i think the 'wire with gain' quote on a review i read is a great description of its performance, well done Topping!
A8427FF6-A9FB-49FB-A058-BFBE7231A595.jpeg

Recopilatorio

Hello colleagues.
Since yesterday I have the Topping L30, paired with the Topping E30 and AKG K702 headphones. Very satisfied with its functionality.
With 0dB of gain I always use the potentiometer at less than half its travel (between 10 and 12 on a hypothetical clock, depending on the external noise level). I have barely made a minimum check with the gain of + 9dB, it seemed to me that it could be interesting for vocal works (opera), but for now I think I will not use it (I have the impression that the ears would get used to that level of sound and they would get lazy).
I have no technical knowledge about audio, but I can say that I have a feeling of cleanliness and clarity in the sound, as well as more than enough power.
I have appreciated that the amplifier gets warm (as indicated here above), more than the decoder, but less than my mobile phone when I use it as a GPS. Hot but not burning, it can be felt by hand without removing it after an hour of use of the amplifier.
I'm curious (haven't tested it) to know if it also gets hot when in standby mode (standby but no playback).
I have no problem with the control of the wheel of the potentiometer to increase or decrease the volume, it is not uncomfortable for me. I find the PRE / HPA / OFF switch somewhat less comfortable: I have the feeling that sometime I am going to make a mistake and I am going to push down when it is already in OFF, and that it could break. I hope that never happens.
At the moment very happy with the purchase.

__Health and encouragement__

Thalis

Hello colleagues.
Since yesterday I have the Topping L30, paired with the Topping E30 and AKG K702 headphones. Very satisfied with its functionality.
With 0dB of gain I always use the potentiometer at less than half its travel (between 10 and 12 on a hypothetical clock, depending on the external noise level). I have barely made a minimum check with the gain of + 9dB, it seemed to me that it could be interesting for vocal works (opera), but for now I think I will not use it (I have the impression that the ears would get used to that level of sound and they would get lazy).
I have no technical knowledge about audio, but I can say that I have a feeling of cleanliness and clarity in the sound, as well as more than enough power.
I have appreciated that the amplifier gets warm (as indicated here above), more than the decoder, but less than my mobile phone when I use it as a GPS. Hot but not burning, it can be felt by hand without removing it after an hour of use of the amplifier.
I'm curious (haven't tested it) to know if it also gets hot when in standby mode (standby but no playback).
I have no problem with the control of the wheel of the potentiometer to increase or decrease the volume, it is not uncomfortable for me. I find the PRE / HPA / OFF switch somewhat less comfortable: I have the feeling that sometime I am going to make a mistake and I am going to push down when it is already in OFF, and that it could break. I hope that never happens.
At the moment very happy with the purchase.

I am curious... your comfortable listening level is so much lower them mine and i am driving the K240 Mk2 also at 0dB. None of my phones can drive them properly. What's your source?

Recopilatorio

I am curious... your comfortable listening level is so much lower them mine and i am driving the K240 Mk2 also at 0dB. None of my phones can drive them properly. What's your source?

The DAC Topping E30 receives music from .flac files hosted on a PC via USB connection. Play Foobar2000 on PC
Perhaps the ears should be taken into account: each set of ears of each listener is different, has different capacities and a different auditory history ...

Thalis

The DAC Topping E30 receives music from .flac files hosted on a PC via USB connection. Play Foobar2000 on PC
Perhaps the ears should be taken into account: each set of ears of each listener is different, has different capacities and a different auditory history ...

OK the K702 has bigger drivers, better magnets and 1dB more in sensitivity than the K240. Is your E30 set to DAC mode and your Foobar at 0dB?

Recopilatorio

OK the K702 has bigger drivers, better magnets and 1dB more in sensitivity than the K240. Is your E30 set to DAC mode and your Foobar at 0dB?

Affirmative answer to the first question. I'm not sure the answer to the second question: I don't know where to look at that on Foobar.

Top Bottom