• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from tpa 3116

AntGom

Hello, first post here and i need some guidness. English is not my first language so please be acquiescence... Well, a month ago i purchase for the first time a mini class D amp, tpa3116 just from curiosity...

I only used AB amplifiers...marantz most....
I am impressed...i just use it for a 4 inches speakers, wharfedale d310 but plays really nice for the money of course...
So now i need something better until 250 dollars/ 200 euro.
I need to get a better base, tight and controled and a little better sound stage...More forward
With tpa 3116 my base are loose and not clear...

I was thinking a MA12070 chip...
Sabaj A10a or Loxjie A30...
I read the thread for the Sabaj A20...will be better from sabaj A10? (i don't see any differences at 8 ohm...)
Any opinions?
I also thinking tpa 3255 or even to increase my budget to ncore NC252MP but for the moment for only 4inches speakers i don't think that i should spend more money...Maybe in the future....

Thanks

tomtoo

Major Contributor
First hi and welcome to ASR!

TPA 3116 tells not much about the amp, couse you can get good to total schi** implementation. Than you can have two bridget or just a single, and the power supply is also very importend.
More power could help in the bass, but for soundstage more responsible is the speaker at least if the amp not has a horrible channel seperation. But this would be a fault of implementation, couse tpa3116 can do ok. So would be interesting which specific amp you talk about?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thank you.
A very cheap amp....
https://www.banggood.com/TPA3116-Cl...tml?cur_warehouse=USA&ID=6157193&rmmds=search

it was from curiosity as i said...but now i'm addicted

Ok looks like a single tpa3116 than dependin g on the power supply this could be not enough power to drive your speaker(not very efficient) to your wished loudnes without loosing controlle on the woofer.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/

Maybe this could be in the near what you look for?
Measures well, not to expensive and more power.

OP
A

AntGom

Thanks for reply...I forgot to mention that mostly i will play music through streaming...so i guess the only thing that will matter will be the bluetooth connection...AptX probably. I was thinking the smsl da9 as my first choise after searching and reading in the forum threads...MA 12070 it should be better than 3255 chip right?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm pretty impressed with the newer Sabaj a20a...saving up for one of those later this year. I built a lot of 3116 and 3118 amps about 3 years ago, they were "OK" but did not blow me away, and the power supply issue was kind of a hassle (I have no less than 4 Pyramid power supplies down in my basement now, ugh, now they have these nice variable DC units). Frankly, for convenience thus far, in some setups I am still using the old trusty SMSL SA-50 which has a lot of oomph when using 24v/5a supply. Recently I got a Aiyama 04, it definitely lacks bass/muscle with this same 24v supply, but I am trying it now with my Nikko preamp inserted between source and amp to see if that helps any...at least it gives me tone controls to bring up the bass a bit.

My most trouble free built amp was the "original" Yuan Jing red board with volume pot, the one they still sell for about $13. In memory, the best sound was from a 3118 board with lower power (one of those Pyramid supplies) with no integrated volume pot and a passive preamp between source and amp.

OP
A

AntGom

Thanks, i will have my eyes on sabaj a20 and smsl ad9 as an upgrade....

Top Bottom