• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading Yamaha RX-A3060, looking for options

Stavka74

Looking for ideas concerning upgrade from Yamaha RX-A3060 to new 2024/2025 AVR. Running only 3.2, L/R/C and 2 subwoofers. Doubt I will upgrade speaker configuration further. Gaming/HT:music is 60:40. Current setup sounds fabulous, but am looking into other options. Gaming suffers due to no pass through of 4K/120 Hz signal, no ALLM. Finally, while I am leaning toward Yamaha RX-A6A, YPAO is not the best room correction. Only reason I would move from Yamaha as I like the sound, is DIRAC. Budget $2000, would buy refurbished from accessories4less.

Looking for:
HDMI 2.1
eARC
Power as I listen to a lot of music in 2.2 and rather loud.
Multiple sub outs
ALLM/VRR for gaming

Golfx

Forum Donor
your criteria above put you in the Denon 4800/6800 class especially the multiple woofer outputs. Your smaller number of channels wont really save you any money because no one makes small channel AVRs.

OP
S

Stavka74

Old receiver will be used in secondary room with Chane A5rxc and Chane center. Afraid I'll need a Buckeye Class D amp with Denon receiver though. 150 watts in my minimum.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For value, the AVR-X3800H is hard to beat. I bought the entry level AVR-X1800H 3 days ago and have been enjoying it a lot (sounds just as good as my so called separates that cost many times more) even when listening to 2.1 so I can easily imagine the sound quality of the X3800H. For power, you just have to factor in another $1,000 on a 3 channel class D amp and you will have tons much current capacity than the Yamaha's AVR amps.

Oddball

Another vote for 3800H.

Not sure what SPL are you looking for and what is the room and distance to MLP, but would try first with 3800H and see if you really need amps since you would be powering LCR only. Sometimes it's not all about needing, so always fine to just want the amps.

Also, would try built-in Audy EQ first and buy $20 iPhone/Android app that would enable you to customize the setup more granularly. If you like what you hear, next step could be $200 Multi EQX Windows app would give you more flexibility, options and likely a bit better SQ. Will not do miracles though so if you don't like Audy, probably time to quit after $20 investment. Dirac is more expensive (as add-on to the AVR) and might not be all that better for your use case, but unfortunately only you will be able to tell that.

Looking for ideas concerning upgrade from Yamaha RX-A3060 to new 2024/2025 AVR. Running only 3.2, L/R/C and 2 subwoofers. Doubt I will upgrade speaker configuration further. Gaming/HT:music is 60:40. Current setup sounds fabulous, but am looking into other options. Gaming suffers due to no pass through of 4K/120 Hz signal, no ALLM. Finally, while I am leaning toward Yamaha RX-A6A, YPAO is not the best room correction. Only reason I would move from Yamaha as I like the sound, is DIRAC. Budget $2000, would buy refurbished from accessories4less.

Looking for:
HDMI 2.1
eARC
Power as I listen to a lot of music in 2.2 and rather loud.
Multiple sub outs
ALLM/VRR for gaming
I have yet to hear any sonic magic with dirac tweaking.

Prioritizing sound quality, price and simplicity of setup, I would go with a Sony STRAZ5000ES.

If price is not an issue, try some separates like the Marantz AV10 processor paired with high quality amps like the Rotel RMB 1585 and so on.

CA FiveOh

I would second the Denon X4800H or X6800H option, though the 6800H is quite a bit above your budget. I started with an X4800H and was pleased with the performance but then bought the X6800H on a whim due to getting a really good deal. Is the 6800H better? Perhaps ever-so slightly once the volume dial gets to approx. -15.0dB, but then I haven't upgraded to Dirac yet and have been using MultEQ-X with really impressive results. After watching a specific YouTuber's review on the Denon A1H last week and his words of praise for what Dirac did, I may have to bite the bullet.

I still have the X4800H in the box so If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM.

Top Bottom