• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using 230v Studio Monitors in 110v Outlet

pablomelguera

Hi. I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5 that I bought in Argentina (Made in china) and they are 230V 60W 50Hz.

I brought them home (Costa Rica) and the voltage here is 110V, and I realized this problem when I tried to make my first listen.

Can someone explain to me what should I buy? I know I can get here some transformer, but I would like to know what to look for. Here there are no great stores to buy such a thing, and employes usally don't know what they are selling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-28 at 7.09.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-28 at 7.09.02 PM.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 98
OP
P

pablomelguera

Also, would it be better to buy two transformers?
This monitors are bi amped, and i'm worried this whole transformer issue would change their sound

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
No, a single step-up transformer would be fine. You don't need any outrageous power handling, something around 500 VA should be more than plenty. These things use autoformers, which can be fairly small, light and inexpensive compared to conventional galvanically isolated transformers. You are arguably well-advised to take a look inside first though, as reports of shoddy build quality are not exactly uncommon.

OP
P

pablomelguera

Thanks
No, a single step-up transformer would be fine. You don't need any outrageous power handling, something around 500 VA should be more than plenty. These things use autoformers, which can be fairly small, light and inexpensive compared to conventional galvanically isolated transformers. You are arguably well-advised to take a look inside first though, as reports of shoddy build quality are not exactly uncommon.
Thanks! I've ordered a 200w transformer and should arrive today or tomorrow

I'll post here there results in case someone has the same issue.

monkeyboy

or you could just have a 230v service and outlet installed in your house...

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding what @monkeyboy said.

What's the power supply situation in Costa Rica?

In the US the usual 'regular' outlet is (around) 120V. But we have 2 'legs' of ~120V coming to the house. These are 180deg out of phase, often called split phase. If we use 2x120V legs we can get 240V. This is usually used for high power consumption devices like electric dryers, stoves, water heaters, whole house heaters, electric vehicle chargers. But there's no reason you couldn't use it for a lower power device like this one.

Edit: It seems like from just a little bit of web search the power grid standard in Costa Rica may be the same as US. So they above may apply to Costa Rica also. Probably still cheaper and easier to get a transformer. Plus I'm going to assume you may be renting so rewiring is not possible.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

You man need a power converter if the supply is 60hz and the unit is designed for 50hz. Some speakers have a switch on the back for different voltage/freq

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You man need a power converter if the supply is 60hz and the unit is designed for 50hz. Some speakers have a switch on the back for different voltage/freq
For electronics, frequency doesn't matter. It is only an issue for AC motors and such that synchronize to mains.

Holmz

Major Contributor

For voltage… never for frequency.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
For electronics, frequency doesn't matter. It is only an issue for AC motors and such that synchronize to mains.
Not all 60Hz power transformers are happy in 50Hz systems.
50Hz transformers require heaver metal plates than 60Hz transformers.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Not all 60Hz power transformers are happy in 50Hz systems.
50Hz transformers require heaver metal plates than 60Hz transformers.

There is not a switch that adds plates to the transformer, nor that changes it’s frequency.
Most 110v —> 220v transformers are expected to do 110v/60Hz to 220v (which is typically 50 Hz worldwide.)

And visa versa.

Plugging motors into them can be a problem. But the transformers I have used are all designed to transform, and all work as expected.

Top Bottom