• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using S/PDIF from PC into RME ADI 2 DAC FS sounds horrible

DEF

Coming from https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...s/268-amd-x570-am4/3173-meg-x570s-unify-x-max which apparently has a Realtek ALC-4080, going into the ADI 2 DAC FS, I get horrible sound.

I just need a secondary input method that isnt a usb switch, with good sound for at home.
I have passed the only USB out to the iPad :D... cause I make music with it.... via PianoTeq.
I do have a USB Switch, but pressing it annoys me, and I can't get two USB Switches with IR and control it via IR Blaster (unified Remote), because, they do use the same Infrared codes.

Is the solution just to connect a RME HDSPe or a RME Raydat to it?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What sort of horrible sound are you talking about?

Also I don't understand what your USB arrangement/problem is with the USB switch. What is connected to what, and why?

Hemi-Demon

Even modern motherboard soundcards tend to have issues with PSU noise and spdif clocking, I'd bet the issue is your motherboard output, and not your RME device.

Just run another usb cable from one of your onboard ports on your MSI motherboard and not the hub. Power on one audio device at a time. Windows will properly route your audio to the active audio device.

If you need multiple audio streams, at the same time, while producing, then you may want to invest in an audio interface with multiple inputs and balanced outputs, like a Motu or Apollo.

OP
D

DEF

What sort of horrible sound are you talking about?

Also I don't understand what your USB arrangement/problem is with the USB switch. What is connected to what, and why?
It sounds all harsh, like everything is shouted, no matter the volume.

Even modern motherboard soundcards tend to have issues with PSU noise and spdif clocking, I'd bet the issue is your motherboard output, and not your RME device.

Just run another usb cable from one of your onboard ports on your MSI motherboard and not the hub. Power on one audio device at a time. Windows will properly route your audio to the active audio device.

If you need multiple audio streams, at the same time, while producing, then you may want to invest in an audio interface with multiple inputs and balanced outputs, like a Motu or Apollo.

That's the thing I don't want.

Basically, give my iPad a way to play back audio from my speakers and my PC.
Currently, this can be achieved by switching back forth USB between PC and iPad.

Things we can do imo:
- Get a new USB Audio Interface, just for the iPad or PC
- Get a PCIe card like the RME Raydat that has S/PDIF out, and plug it into the ADI-2 DAC FS
- Magically find a better USB Switching solution that works well within IR range (unlikely), I tried 15 Switches by now, and have the config where IR works, and the second switch uses a 2.4G remote, sadly which I need to touch physically.

So, the idea was, to get a little comfort here and remove the second USB switch out of the equation.
Whats the best thing I can do here?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It sounds all harsh, like everything is shouted, no matter the volume.
[..]
Whats the best thing I can do here?
Have you contacted RME? Or checked the RMR forum?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You should try playing around with power menagement as already advised. If that doesn't work for around 100$ you can buy something like Creative SoundBlaster Z SE with optical I/O.

Chazz6

Must the iPad be fed by a USB line?

Being an Android person (if that is not a contradiction in terms ;)), I use BubbleUpNP on the Android device to control a stream out of the PC. The device and the computer communicate via wi-fi.

OP
D

DEF

Must the iPad be fed by a USB line?

Being an Android person (if that is not a contradiction in terms ;)), I use BubbleUpNP on the Android device to control a stream out of the PC. The device and the computer communicate via wi-fi.
WiFi would have too much latency.
I can get 192Khz and 64 samples stable via USB

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do you have another spdif source to check the RME input with, or another DAC to check the motherboard output with? Assuming it's the motherboard output that's the problem you could go with something like the HifiMe UR23 if you don't need the capabilities of the RME cards.

OP
D

DEF

Do you have another spdif source to check the RME input with, or another DAC to check the motherboard output with? Assuming it's the motherboard output that's the problem you could go with something like the HifiMe UR23 if you don't need the capabilities of the RME cards.
I don't have. On top of that, S/PDIF of my motherboard only worked on Windows, and on Linux (which I need), I couldn't find drivers.
Just talked with RME and yea they confirmed I could just grab a cheap USB Dongle for converting into S/PDIF

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Have you considered an SMSL P0100 Pro? Maybe add a Topping HS02 for any noise issues and it can be used to have filtered USB power.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't have. On top of that, S/PDIF of my motherboard only worked on Windows, and on Linux (which I need), I couldn't find drivers.
Just talked with RME and yea they confirmed I could just grab a cheap USB Dongle for converting into S/PDIF
Do you have a smart TV? They usually have optical/spdif.

OP
D

DEF

Have you considered an SMSL P0100 Pro? Maybe add a Topping HS02 for any noise issues and it can be used to have filtered USB power.
My RME ADI-2 DAC FS already does USB filtering
Do you have a smart TV? They usually have optical/spdif.
No, but I connect two devices on my ADI-2 DAC FS and I need to use 2 IN, so I use USB and S/PDIF.
A third device would need to connect to digital coaxial.

Nvm, I'll order two SMSL PO100 Pro and two HS02.

Last edited:
OP
D

DEF

I've got 2x SMSL P0100 Pro and 2x Topping HS02 and its just excellent 5/5. Thanks for the tip.
It's almost those two were made for each others. They combine so neatly.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I've got 2x SMSL P0100 Pro and 2x Topping HS02 and its just excellent 5/5. Thanks for the tip.
It's almost those two were made for each others. They combine so neatly.
I use the same combo and I love the results.

Top Bottom