• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Audio Advertising

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1640527341862.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
R.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Miles giving the Black Power fist for the staid New England company, AR. You can't make this stuff up! The company suits probably had no idea.

And Miles with his 3a's on the floor, in a corner. For that 'x-tra' push in the bass department.
X-tra push in the bass department works mighty fine with the Stockhausenian "Big Fun":

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Those speaker grilles look familiar. Amazing how the memory works.
The Marantz "Imperial" series were fairly popular when new -- and are held in no mean regard in some circles today. Not in my circle... but in some. :rolleyes: Bart Locanthi was involved in some way(s) with the design of at least some of them, though -- so there is that. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Selenium Falcon" on the Polk forums posted this ad (which, truth be told, I don't really remember) there recently. Sort of (sort of!) cut from the same cloth as the fiery Marantz ad above. ;)

55v7hb0mbrn7.png

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:
OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Superscope-era Marantz had some hideous ones -- but ads that stick with us through the decades. I.e., I guess they were effective.

View attachment 174706

This is literally the first of the type that I came across in a quick perusal at worldradiohistory.com :) There were tackier ones. ;)

Of course, there was also this fairly effective ad from Superscope-era Marantz.

View attachment 174707

Sort of from the John Cameron Swayze "Time for a new Timex" (or the Samsonite American Tourister luggage with gorillas) school of advertising. :)
Timex-Spokesperson-John-Cameron-Swayze.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
That "fire started on the first floor" Marantz ad is pretty awesome.

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Pickering Audio? Never heard of them, but found this obit for Mr. Pickering that may interest some of you...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice collection of memories here for me! Thanks.....didn't save any myself tho.....

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pickering Audio? Never heard of them, but found this obit for Mr. Pickering that may interest some of you...
You're not an old-school vinylista, then, I suppose. ;)

Pickering (the man and his eponymous company) was/were a legend in the early days of hifi. Pickering, their sister company, Stanton (styli of the cartridges were long interchangeable), Empire, and Shure were the popular favorites in those days, particularly in the US -- although GE, Grado, Goldring, Ortofon, Decca, and Fairchild were probably the favorites of the "golden ears" of the early days (of stereo hifi). I am sure I am missing some.
1640561754200.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1976-07.pdf

Pointless, egocentric aside: My first "hifi" MM cartridge -- a long time ago -- was a Pickering P/AT-1 (well... maybe it was a P/AC-1) which I put on a ca. 1958 Voice of Music record changer. The changer was bought new by my father, handed down to me, and was in steady use until ca. 1977. I had to discard it, regretfully, in 2007 due to its condition after storage in a very damp location when we cleaned out my father's house as he was downsizing to an apartment late in his life.

Last edited:
OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Not strictly an advertisement, but a publicity shot from the 1934 film, The Girl From Missouri. Interesting to see a record player in a box from that era, apparently sitting atop a speaker. All you movie buffs will probably instantly recognize Jean Harlow, the "blonde bomshell" of the 30s who was the leading sex symbol of her day (she died three years after this picture, just 26 years old).
1641625196517.png

DanielT

Major Contributor
Unfair to the women who read this thread. They have no eye candy.Thought to post some picture so I googled,"sexy men and hifi", but I could not find anything. Found this but even I who do not lie in that direction and turn on to men realize that this may not be what women, in general, consider to be so sexy.:)

However, surely those gentlemen at that event hade a good time.:)

A photo I found. Unfortunately lost the link. Some flea market, vintage, hifi fair something, somewhere.

919invest.promo_.jpg

Edit:
Although the women probably thought that Frank Sinatra was a sexy guy:

00-holding-frank-sinatra-home.jpg

shot_2022-01-08_14-48-10.png

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
This one from the early 70s seems historically interesting for a few reasons. First, is this "Sound Machine" the precursor to the boom box? Second, I was surprised to see that Bell & Howell did audio; from what little I know of them I thought they were more of a camera/movie projector company. That guy in the background... looks like he's holding some kind of audio component up to his hear. "Transistor radio" maybe? And then the gothic church seen in the distance is kinda weird for an American-made product. Perhaps this was an ad targeted to UK consumers or something...
View attachment 174477
The cassette player goes INTO the box she is carrying...

Top Bottom