• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume wheel not responding on line out on Fiio K7

LordOishi

Perhaps I have a faulty unit but the volume wheel on my Fiio K7 does not change the volume when in line out mode to my Edifier 1280dbs speakers?

It works when using my headphones connected from the front but it doesn't respond to change the volume up or down when in line out - any ideas?!

I can only change the volume using the speaker remote control at the moment.

Boltman92124

This thread answered my question. I was wondering if this K7 had fixed line level and pre-outs. You can actually just use it as a DAC if you want to. It will also work well in a tape loop. Add analog input and a nice headphone section + balanced AK4493 chips. Looks like the most versatile unit I can find out there. No wall wart either! I think I'm done looking and will order one today. @LordOishi , do you like it so far??

OP
L

LordOishi

This thread answered my question. I was wondering if this K7 had fixed line level and pre-outs. You can actually just use it as a DAC if you want to. It will also work well in a tape loop. Add analog input and a nice headphone section + balanced AK4493 chips. Looks like the most versatile unit I can find out there. No wall wart either! I think I'm done looking and will order one today. @LordOishi , do you like it so far??
I do very much. I was initially looking at the A2N and Topping E30 ii stack but in the end I got the Fiio K7 and decided to split my budget into two headphones; Sundara and 177X, so I got open and closed covered; I needed the closed as I work in the study with my wife.

So the K7 I decided on for the smaller footprint and cosmetically to me it looks nicer. It fit's my use case perfectly as it I can pre-out to my speakers and control the volume on the unit. The line out has the fixed as you pointed out. Also gives me room for upgardes further down the line. I understand technically the Topping stack was probably the better option but I went for practicality for my use case ultimately.

The K7 has a couple of odd characteristics though; not deal breakers for me personally but worth knowing. There's nothing really happening on the volume knob from about 7 -11 then it starts kicking in. It also has a slight but noticeable delay in the volume increase. Like I say, I got used to both by day 2 and it doesn't bother me.

Then there's the RGB round the knob but again for me it's fine as I have RGB around my battlestation, in the PC and Hue Lights so it complements that nicely.

Boltman92124

I do very much. I was initially looking at the A2N and Topping E30 ii stack but in the end I got the Fiio K7 and decided to split my budget into two headphones; Sundara and 177X, so I got open and closed covered; I needed the closed as I work in the study with my wife.

So the K7 I decided on for the smaller footprint and cosmetically to me it looks nicer. It fit's my use case perfectly as it I can pre-out to my speakers and control the volume on the unit. The line out has the fixed as you pointed out. Also gives me room for upgardes further down the line. I understand technically the Topping stack was probably the better option but I went for practicality for my use case ultimately.

The K7 has a couple of odd characteristics though; not deal breakers for me personally but worth knowing. There's nothing really happening on the volume knob from about 7 -11 then it starts kicking in. It also has a slight but noticeable delay in the volume increase. Like I say, I got used to both by day 2 and it doesn't bother me.

Then there's the RGB round the knob but again for me it's fine as I have RGB around my battlestation, in the PC and Hue Lights so it complements that nicely.
I think it looks nicer than the Topping DX3Pro at the same price. The Topping has Bluetooth but no analog input or passthrough/line-out(The L50 and A30 headphone amps do). You're right too..getting sick of too many components, cables and wall warts! All I was originally looking for is a good headphone amp. Glad to hear it powers your cans well too. That's my next purchase/upgrade. Sundara is on the list and Audeze LCD-2.

Boltman92124

I guess I stand corrected on the Topping DX3Pro. It does have a line-out mode. You have to go through the settings though. Still no analog input on the Topping however, thus making it unsuitable for a tape/processor loop. Bluetooth is an afterthought but would be nice to have I suppose. Sorry, just trying to make a decision.

OP
L

LordOishi

I guess I stand corrected on the Topping DX3Pro. It does have a line-out mode. You have to go through the settings though. Still no analog input on the Topping however, thus making it unsuitable for a tape/processor loop. Bluetooth is an afterthought but would be nice to have I suppose. Sorry, just trying to make a decision.
If you listen to IEMs I believe the K7 night be the better option so that might help away your decision one or or another? Personally I went for practicality and aesthetic!

Boltman92124

If you listen to IEMs I believe the K7 night be the better option so that might help away your decision one or or another? Personally I went for practicality and aesthetic!
Just Sennheiser Momentums (old style wired) for the time being. Looking at new cans this year. Prob planar style. My old Stax SR5's just don't fit with my set up now. I want something resolving like the Stax. Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom