• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vote: Algorithmically imprisoned?! Have auto-generated playlists changed the way you listen to music?

Have auto-generated playlists changed the way you listen to music?

• Yes

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 57.7%

• Total voters

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

;)

It does work (monaural only, although I think it has a detector output for outboard MPX; I'll have to check) and it is even more adorable in the flesh than it is in a photograph.
Very nice example!

I liked the design of these old tuners, had several of it over the decades, but today I could no longer receive anything that would interest me with those. That's why I only kept an old smartphone with an FM-Tuner built in as an emergency radio and my car still has one as standard, but I never used it.

I'm happy that the old radio stations that I appreciate now offer internet radio in acceptable sound quality. I listen to it almost every day France Musique, which is so far away that nothing works over the aerial anyway.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

;)

It does work (monaural only, although I think it has a detector output for outboard MPX; I'll have to check) and it is even more adorable in the flesh than it is in a photograph.
I'm not nostalgic (just a little sometimes) or in dire need of an FM tuner BUT damn I'm pissed off that I missed an auction on this model. I forgot the time when the auction ended. It sold for $30, fully functional. Incredibly good price. I think it's stylish. Also technically, performance-wise good:
(not suitable auction site for vintage tuners plus wrong end time of the auction is the reason for the price)

Pioneer TX-9100
But more than any one thing, excellent sensitivity stands together with excellent rejection characteristics. And what this means is the finest performance ever offered by a tuner, under all common, and some uncommon, operating circumstances.

Pioneer TX-9100::D
57a3071f6453513dae3e134ae7830f8c.jpg
:D:D

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Nope, I've never used a playlist, don't use any streaming services. I either play vinyl, cd, or digital files from pc, but I've never used a playlist.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I would struggle to resist a nice TX-9100 for $30 USD-equiv.
And I do not need another tuner.
And I have a TX-9500II. :cool::eek::facepalm:

... but I digress.
(me?!?)
;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
No. I follow my already saved music for inspiration and use that to find Bands/Artists with a similar sound/style. About 10% of the time I will be lazy and give the Discover Weekly playlist a spin. I hear a sound I enjoy and start digging for similar matches. Sometimes I get so involved with the searching and forget to listen to the music currently playing. :facepalm:.

That is eerily/precisely like the way I listen to music. Especially the last bit. :)

So I said no, I don't generally do playlists or radio (and disabled auto-play as soon as I realised I could). There's something I find especially unpleasant about endless music that I haven't decided to listen to. Many/most people I know (including people I care about) listen to music the opposite way: auto-play, radio and playlists. Including YT videos.

I often like to listen to whole albums, with songs in order. Sometimes I select an artist and just let their stuff play chronologically (Apple Music library can work that way). I expect I'm some sort of evolutionary throwback.

I favour certain genres generally of course, but I almost never like every artist in a sub-genre. But I often find the similar or category suggestions (eg in Apple Music Listen Now view) interesting (it's 50:50 really, I'll discover someone especially interesting, or wonder why anyone would think this is anything like that). And diving into similar albums/artists is sometimes rewarding, so algorithms have their uses.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have been relying on Spotify these past few years.. I have been pleased ... Latetly ... and after those 3 (4?, 5?) years, I find the recommendations a bit repetitive, but I’m not (yet) bothered enough.. I will switch to Apple Music and let it make its own recommandations..
I must say that I am annoyed at a certain level to be so reliant on technology to curate my lists but.. It has consistently surprised me with artists, I may have not discovered any other way ... So ...

Peace

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning

;)

beautiful piece - great period color, too... I inherited both of my father's Sherwood FM tuners - one is mono and one is stereo... had the stereo one rebuilt - attached the mono model version to the garage's sound system... they both keep food warm...

Top Bottom