• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify AI DJ Discussion

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
If your not in the new-new, Spotify DJ is an algorithm that decides what you listen to (via a playlist a mix) with an AI voice.

I discovered this feature because of the yearly Wrapped feature but apparently its been around since Feb-2023. For me its glitchy in the form of "exiting and coming back", a good chunk of time that causes the app (Regardless of platform) to crash or refuse to resume. When it does work, its pretty decent. The AI voice is very convincing/smooth and the selection is pretty good (If it picks a good genre/mix) that is. The DJ speaks between changing the current mix and its always smooth. The only thing wrong with what the DJ is selecting is playing the same mix again or 1 track mixes. Spotify says you can let the DJ what you like but I have no idea how that works and the official articles don't say how. I think the "learning" is dependent on liked songs, saved playlists and past plays. One thing I can imagine a problem being for others is if there listening to multiple genres. The switch from 60s country to 90s hip hop can easily change your listening mood and can be annoying at times. You are able to let the DJ know to change up the mix but that's the only control you have.

If your didn't entirely read the passage above, I feel you. Here's what the DJ usually serves in terms of playlist mixes (Including already known and never heard):
  • Genres
  • Artist Specific
  • Current Billboard Songs

Overall, I see hope in this DJ. The only thing I wish is for bigger mixes. I would see to see what others on here say.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The voice I find extremely annoying, but don't see an option to exclude it. The song selections have been decent, but for that.

Haroldon

It's a cool concept, but it can be a bit glitchy at times. That whole "exiting and coming back" deal can be a real buzzkill. When it does work, though, I gotta admit that AI voice is smooth as butter, and the playlist selection can be on point if it's in the right mood. As for controlling the DJ, it's a bit of a mystery, but I've heard it might learn from your liked songs, playlists, and past listens. Personally, I'm with you – bigger mixes would be awesome! Let's see what others have to say about this DJ groove. And hey, if you're still on the hunt for info, here's a suggestion: you can buy Spotify plays to boost your songs.

Art of sound

DJ is awesome. You have to click the DJ button to change the genre/mood (i can't tell the diff).
many times it plays the same exact songs you listened to in the week or month but thats only to get you aquainted.
I am still waiting for them to make the move to the promised uncompressed audio. Its been a long wait.
i am not willing to shift to apple music as of now as i use android and don't want to pay for both as i cannot get away from spotify. damn streaming has us spoiled for good. i wonder how the holdouts are doing as they never tasted the variety.
I still want to push myself and listen to new genres each year and unlock new pathways in my brain.

Top Bottom