• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We need another spicy review thread now that the Tekton furore has died down….

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We need a massive backlog of quality reviews not much else , this strengthen future reviews and makes them more indisputable especially if they can be cross referenced to other measurements.

no controversy or drama is needed it will hopefully go away with more and better reviews .

other reviewers can learn from Amir and up the quality that would help massively, think if every review was an actual review not fluff and marketing.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i personally dont think this 'sport' needs drama... its the old maxim... this site doesnt need to exist if parties were honest and 'showed their working' like in primary school

in fact this should a boring activity

manufacturer shows their charts

3rd parties confirm and you buy the product with the set of features that you need

it should not be a blood sport

wwenze

Major Contributor
Many YouTube influencers became millionaires by YouTube influencing, they live on the drama

Sellers are also influencing buyers to buy their products

This industry only exists because of the drama

JSmith

Master Contributor
3057832a3a110755_tumblr_lszgc1acfd1qcm22vo1_400.gif

JSmith

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Not many suggestion forthcoming. I suppose the humorous but self-deprecating thread premise wasn't going to resonate.

I remembered one of my treasured test fantasies though: a really big speaker vs a possibly big-sounding but not-actually-that-big speaker to shed light on that fascinating question of sonic bigness. Perhaps a Grande Utopia vs a Generic 8361 (or 8351 if we want to push it down). So as logistically unlikely as the other comparison really, but a girl can dream. Controlled vs uncontrolled (aka blind vs sighted) of course.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That will be the end of the entire hifi press I guess …
If all of the audio reviewers / magazines got together and declared that they were going to rebuild the journalistic advertising / editorial firewall, they would be fine. The advertisers would still need to advertise somewhere, and if they all got fair reviews wherever they went, then ad sales could find another basis to work on.

The problem is they've painted themselves into a corner kowtowing to audio brands, and so the first one that starts giving bad reviews along with the good, or stops believing in woo-woo nonsense that sells cables, will find themselves with no advertisers or pot to piss in.

It's a prisoner's dilemma stalemate kind of situation but it's not impossible to get out of either.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I can almost smell the comments already LOL

also : who decided to use these as monitors in abbey road and why...

I suspect (a) they’re far more accurate than other B&Ws, and (b) the general quality of the drivers is enough that any inconsistencies are easily EQd out without distortion.

But I might be wrong.

wwenze

Major Contributor

I guess to cater to B&W 800 Series Diamond D3 owners. Since they have next to no music mastered for their speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

I am certain a mutually beneficial arrangement!
Keith

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd like to buy a classic Krell and drop-ship for review, maybe one day. Meanwhile I like the Chronosonic idea—an XVX vs 8381 shootout would be epic—but too heavy for Amir to manage unless a volunteer team turned up.
The big Krells were all extensively tested by HiFi Choice and HiFi news back in the day (in the UK at least) and the ONLY thing they could really do over alternatives was the rather excellent 2 or 1 ohm drive capability over almost anything else back then. For a variety of reasons (trust in the guru reviewers?), Levinson wasn't often tested and certainly not objectively I believe in the UK rags, at least in the 80s and 90s. The early Krells were tested in HiFi Choice and measured consistently I believe, but in terms of figures, very average for the period albeit with little to no crossover distortion or higher odd-order artefacts to spoil the sound. The thing is, the pre plateau-bias and post fan cooled original models will probably have cooked themselves to death by now and a then ten year old KSA250 I heard (mint external condition though), sounded hard as nails which is what amps like this weren't supposed to 'sound' like...

DSJR

Major Contributor

I heard this from a mastering engineer friend working for a competitor which also used B&Ws - these speakers were given to them to use as part of a mutual promotion, Abbey Road once having a built in Quested monitoring system for a while as well as ATC 150s before B&W moved in I was told.. Maybe it's still that way, the 'monitors' replaced with new ones periodically? Mind you, the original and M801's were good speakers regardless, by any passive model standards of the time and even now I reckon. The mastering room I saw had a top model HH MOS-FET amp (V800?) to drive them and seemingly not too heavy gauge mains cables as admittedly short speaker cables.

Top Bottom