• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Well after finding dialogue in film sound tracks hard to follow I decided to try out a Genelec “One”

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Meridian M33 active speaker I have occasionally been using for many years as a centre speaker. I had mostly listed to the film sound tracks as stereo, to be honest, but have 3 of these Meridians in use for surround.
A lot of films have hard to decipher diction so I decided to try something more modern.
Anyway I have bought and installed a Genelec 8341A centre speaker - definitely seems better!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
now you're making me curious how much of a difference I would experience. Genelec the Ones are still on the top of my list of speakers I want to hear.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I don't have issues with dialog intelligibility anymore, no need to mess with center channel volume or anything. The only time there's any inaudible bits is if it's from a mix that is truly horrific like Tenet or something.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Meridian M33 active speaker I have occasionally been using for many years as a centre speaker. I had mostly listed to the film sound tracks as stereo, to be honest, but have 3 of these Meridians in use for surround.
A lot of films have hard to decipher diction so I decided to try something more modern.
Anyway I have bought and installed a Genelec 8341A centre speaker - definitely seems better!
Is the M33 an MTM speaker? If so what orientation was it in?

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the M33 an MTM speaker? If so what orientation was it in?
MTM on its side, the rears are M33s vertical. There is a huge dip in mid frequecies on the Audyssey measurement for all of them. The 8341 is much better, as one might expect!

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I have trouble with dialogue I simply turn on the close captioning, it's cheaper than a 8341A. :)

Cheers
OK when nothing much going on and pure dialogue, not much use otherwise because you miss so much of the film.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MTM on its side, the rears are M33s vertical. There is a huge dip in mid frequecies on the Audyssey measurement for all of them. The 8341 is much better, as one might expect!
Good to see theory and practice in alignment, a 3 way coaxial makes so much sense for a centre speaker.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent choice, Mr. Dernie. I have done ADR for film and TV for many years (Automated Dialog Replacement, even though it isn't automated and most often isn't replacement either) and have found the Genelec Ones to be in the top three for voice clarity - the others being the ancient LS3/5A and the ProAc Response Two D (with the dome tweeter, not the ribbon). I feel all 3 are head and shoulders above the rest of the field. The Genelec's advantage for home use is that you can turn it horizontally.

Top Bottom