• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are your top 3 IEM ?

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Can't help you as I own 1 IEM and never felt the need to buy more.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like sticking those things in my ears.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1. 7Hz Salnotes Zero
graph (71).png

7Hz Salnotes Zero with spring tips and vent cover mod make these one of the few IEMs that I can use without EQ with any source. The size of the nozzle works for my ears. I haven't heard anything better. I am providing both standard "711" and "45CA-10" (aka ASR) comparable measurements.

Basically the modded Zeros are the Truthear x Crinacle Red but with a much smaller nozzle that likely fits better on smaller ears. Here it is compared to Amir's measurements of the Red.

graph (93).png

2. JBL Endurance Race Bluetooth Wireless

graph (72).png
Untitled.jpg
Product Image.jpg

Don't let the FR deceive you, the auto-EQ the JBL app provides makes these sound spectacular. They are the most comfortable Bluetooth IEMs that I've used and are made for sports/outdoor use because of that little protrusion that secures them well (to my ears at least).

3. Artti R2
graph (92).png
graph (73).png

The Artti R2 recently replaced the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero: 2 as my third favorite IEMs. These two offer a good alternative (and popular) tuning, though I prefer the original Zero with mods because both of these can have bloaty bass with modern music for me. But for a lot of music these sound great to me with smoother sounding highs.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only use them when wife is sleeping or on zoom. I keep buying cheap ones because I can give them away or if they break. I do like the SalNotes 7z Zeros at $23 and my old faithful bass-centric 1More Triple Driver IEM for Blues and Funk with tank like construction.

mc.god

1. 7Hz Sonus
  2. ex-aequo 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Truthear Zero:RED

Ste_S

In the cheaper end of the market

1. Truthear Hola - slightly warmer tuning than the 7hz Zero
2. 7Hz Zero - Very good, but prefer the tuning on the Hola
3. Moondrop Chu - Fine, but poor QC (the mesh got pushed into the IEM)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Had around 20 from my first “serious” Etymotic er4-p iem back in 2005 (didn’t like it), then moved through various shure/rha/sennheiser models till a Sony XBA-N3 in 2015 changed everything for the better till I lost it a number of years later then tried 7hz timeless, Dunu Vulkan, Truthear zero -red/blue, Truthear nova, 7hz zero2 and others but last year I managed to buy a new/unopened Sony XBA-N3 (costly but worth it). Also in the last few weeks bought a Symphonium Meteor and I should’ve bought it when it came out a year ago, brilliant iem. Not got a 3rd fav but I've recently ordered the new Symphonium Titan which should be with me in august so that’ll be my top 3 done.

In no particular order, as I can happily listen to either the XBA or the Meteor

1 : Sony XBA-N3 as it has a elevated bass tuning and very fun/enjoyable to listen to, One direct driver and one balanced armature design
2 : Symphonium Meteor as it’s tuning is practically identical to the Sony but it uses four balanced armatures, sounds the same…..but different
3 : Will be the Symphonium Titan as it’s similar to Meteor/XBA but with lots more sub bass which will be right up my street for my electronic music

I still own the 7hz Zero 2 and recently bought the new Kiwi Ears Crinacle Singolo but I don’t really listen to either.

This is how they all graph relative to each other normalised at 500hz, including the new Symphonium Titan in purple

53672707868_98a417c078_b.jpg

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Out of 30+ IEMs I've owned

Truthear Red - Excellent balance with minimal EQ and excellent fit
Moondrop Chu - Not stock, but modded it's stil my favorite 1DD, warm mids and moderate treble snap
Tanchjim One DSP - Balanced preset sounds great and DSP cable can be used for any IEM

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While IEMs or headphones are personal preference, I'm curious what is your top 3 IEM's that you currently own and using? May I know the reason behind?

1) Airpods 3 - calls and podcast IEM. Harman neutral with bass roll-off
2) Campfire Bonneville - the best sounding IEM for my HRTF (3x BA + 1DD). Inverse Harman FR curve throughout the FR range
3) Campfire Andromeda CK - retired, was the best sounding IEM prior to Bonneville for my HRTF (5x BA). Inverse Harman FR curve throughout the FR range

Would love to hear in the future: Moondrop Dusk DSP (current FOTM)

- Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, with EQ to bring the bass to lower treble response in line with the Dusk 2 DSP Default tuning. Now just well-rounded with really precise imaging. Before was hazy but fun.
- Audeze iSine 10 with oratory1990 (Harman) EQ setting. Effortless, smoother than the Dusk, great imaging, but suffer a bit from lack of dynamics. Also: open back
- Samsung Galax Buds (first version), with AutoEQ setting using Wavelet on my phone (so Harman curve). Comfortable, practical and plenty good enough for being out and about. Will have to replace soon-ish though because of shortening battery life.

Grobbelboy

3. 7Hz Zero 2. The stock tuning sounds a bit too boomy and lacks upper treble, but with the filters Amir provided in his review, these compare with the best of the best. Fantastic distortionless sound.
2. Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus. I’m listening to these for 4+ years (mainly during jogging now) and I still use them as a yardstick to compare other IEMs and headphones with. Brilliantly tuned with a midbass that is ever so slightly elevated, giving a very pleasing and full sound. Coincidentally, the fit of these and the 7Hz is practically the same and suits me great.
1. Truthear Nova. Practically perfect out of the box. Comparable with Moondrop Variations but with its only flaw fixed, namely the (slightly) recessed upper treble. Tuning wise there’s just nowhere else to go.

Last edited:

Moonhead

Out of 30+ IEMs I've owned

Truthear Red - Excellent balance with minimal EQ and excellent fit
Moondrop Chu - Not stock, but modded it's stil my favorite 1DD, warm mids and moderate treble snap
Tanchjim One DSP - Balanced preset sounds great and DSP cable can be used for any IEM
What happened to LAN

heraldo_jones

I'm curious bout the Hexa, is it neutral or more on bass ?
The tone is neutral with two peaks at 8khz and around 14khz. The bass is not extra thumpier but is very well extended in the sub bass area (you can clearly hear the sub bass hitting in the 20-30hz area, but not ala bass boosted). Best the of the Hexas for me is how wide the image is. EG: 7hz Zero, Truthear Zero/Red are very upfront sounding IEMs, Hexas are not ... is like they represent a very entended image and depth of field. Really love them, they are my daily drivers.

InfiniteJester

Hidizs MP145 and ARTTI R1 are the two I use the most.

FiiO FH9 would be up there if the built quality wasn't the worst I have ever experienced.

Top Bottom