• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What audio interface [from list] under 200€ to choose?

renemartin

Hello.
I'd need to connect studio monitors, mic (Audio-Technica AT2020) and maybe keyboard (casio ctk 3200).
Which one of these? or are there better? is motu 2 worth for the more money than others in the list? Motu 2 is 233€, if I'm gonna spend 200€ like on SSL that 33€ more is ok.

my list:
Solid State Logic SSL 2 - 199 € - Muziker
Universal Audio Volt 2 - 169 € - Muziker
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Generation - 196 € - Muziker
Roland Rubix24 - 177 € - Muziker
M-Audio AIR 192|8 - 180 € - Muziker

Last edited:

BeerBear

The Focusrite 2i2 is cheaper in other stores. Use something like Geizhals to check the prices.

In that price range, there's also the Arturia Minifuse 2. It has a virtual loopback feature, which can be useful. Here's an explanation from Focusrite (although the 2i2 doesn't have this).
The Topping E2x2 is another new offering...

Most of these are similar in performance and functionality, so it's more about the little details here and there. Check the reviews and measurements. And I would advise you to ignore things like "4K", "Vintage", "Air" buttons. They're useless gimmicks, IMO.

OP
R

renemartin

The Focusrite 2i2 is cheaper in other stores. Use something like Geizhals to check the prices.

In that price range, there's also the Arturia Minifuse 2. It has a virtual loopback feature, which can be useful. Here's an explanation from Focusrite (although the 2i2 doesn't have this).
The Topping E2x2 is another new offering...

Most of these are similar in performance and functionality, so it's more about the little details here and there. Check the reviews and measurements. And I would advise you to ignore things like "4K", "Vintage", "Air" buttons. They're useless gimmicks, IMO.
thanks, I'll check it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How about Motu M4 for a little bit more money if it's available where you are or M2 (supposedly you ment it) which probably you can also find cheaper?

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Another 2 cents for posterity...

I know the OP is looking to spend under 200 EUR, however, I've found that quality improves significantly as one moves further rungs up the ladder. For example, I used a Focusrite Scarlett for a while, and thought it was just fine...until I picked up a Focusrite Clarett (the 4Pre model, which runs 500 EUR-ish). The difference in sound quality is significant, especially using mics that require higher gains (dynamic, ribbon, etc.). The improvement is definitely audible (one can find comparative reviews online where they test both alongside one another). For mics needing high gain (such as the iconic Shure SM7b), and also DI for guitar, I later picked up a Focusrite ISA One which is a very big step up in vocal presence and power. I also procured Sony's stereo PCM D100 (>1000 EUR) for portable use (it is NOT an AI), whose pre-amps are so clean they blow all of the others away (but the wide-field mics are so sensitive that they pick up every stray sound in the recording environment, and connecting high quality shotgun mics to it is not straightforward).

The biggest limiting factor in my experience is the quality of the pre-amps. What you can get with a unit under 200 bucks, especially considering all the other tech packed into these boxes, is inevitably limited.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Tokyo_John you are aware you can buy high gain and quality microphone pre-amp's separately and when you need them? I doubt someone buying 200 $/€ will use 2K big capsule great vocal mic or ribbon one. Actually you can buy a very good preamp and instrumental grade ADC for not that much money, see the Cosmo's bundle if you need one. In the last year or two the higher (than 18 dB usually 24 or more) budget interfaces started to pop around. Unfortunately most aren't tested yet and I seriously doubt stages and ADC are state of art but it's a step in the right direction and we will get there eventually.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
@Tokyo_John you are aware you can buy high gain and quality microphone pre-amp's separately and when you need them? I doubt someone buying 200 $/€ will use 2K big capsule great vocal mic or ribbon one. Actually you can buy a very good preamp and instrumental grade ADC for not that much money, see the Cosmo's bundle if you need one. In the last year or two the higher (than 18 dB usually 24 or more) budget interfaces started to pop around. Unfortunately most aren't tested yet and I seriously doubt stages and ADC are state of art but it's a step in the right direction and we will get there eventually.

Thanks, just checked out Cosmo's bundle. Many new options are coming around, and getting cheaper all the time. I'm very happy with the setups I have now, although they do take up a bit of space on my desks (home and work offices both have recording setups). I have a few Cloudlifters around, which I like very much as clean 48V phantom powered boosters, but they aren't quite enough for my SM7b mics. The ISA One, on the other hand, has loads of power, and brings the microphones (and my voice) to life, front and center. The analogue qualities of certain classic gear are hard to beat.

Top Bottom