• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just buy Canare 4S11 bulk, SpeakOn and bananas, and build your own cable for significantly cheaper.;)
I don't think this kind of serious manufacturer would do such claims. They just say it transmit the sound as it is

I did not like the Neutrik Speakon connectors. They were difficult to assemble with Canare 4S11 paired and inserted into the connectors.
Speakon may be better for systems that regularly disconnect and reconnect which seems to part oft their design.

I decided to stay with the Parts-Express locking stacking banana plugs:

https://www.parts-express.com/angle...s-poly-shell-and-insulated-thumbscr--091-3608

- Rich

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am saying that both Benchmark and Amir make the case that connectors can affect performance of a system in terms of dBs.

Please show me where Benchmark said that.

dB loss would imply a massive change in the LCR of the circuit, especially R, which is mostly dictated by the length and diameter of the speaker cable.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As an additional point, if bare wire was so automatically bad, you wouldn't find bare wire connectors on some pro monitors:

lyhohbtk49rq2fqlg9g9.jpg

Mostly *proper* bare wires are inconvenient because they're harder to swap.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In the manual.

"NL4 SpeakON Output Jacks - SpeakON connectors are well-accepted in high-power proaudio applications, but are nearly unknown in high-end Hi-Fi applications. Our tests show that these robust connectors provide a much more reliable connection than the binding posts, spade lugs, pins, and banana plugs used with traditional Hi-Fi amplifiers. Distortion is measurably lower when using NL4 connectors."

There is no mention of dB loss in there.

Just reliability and distortion (jiggling).

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the manual.

"NL4 SpeakON Output Jacks - SpeakON connectors are well-accepted in high-power proaudio applications, but are nearly unknown in high-end Hi-Fi applications. Our tests show that these robust connectors provide a much more reliable connection than the binding posts, spade lugs, pins, and banana plugs used with traditional Hi-Fi amplifiers. Distortion is measurably lower when using NL4 connectors."

It the NL4 resistant to corrosion? I seem to remember reading that they automatically clean the connection when reconnected.
This seems to be a different use case than a home environment.

- Rich

ArtemisXCIX

Just bought a bunch of Monolith Monoprice cables (XLR, USB A-B, Spidif) for my whole system just thought they seem pretty well built and looks pretty decent.

Anyone has any experience with them? Any issues with their longevity or whatever?

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think we both think the other is overthinking this, lol. Amir shows how he doesn't get the full measurement of the amp unless he uses the NL2 plug (a 3dB difference). It is not a jump to think that this is what Benchmark means with my second quote. But at this point we are talking about an amp that is working beyond what we need for transparency. So there is no point arguing about this further.

I will say that reliability and "jiggle-proof-ness" are very important and should not be taken for granted. We know people will spend hundreds if not thousands on cables and that they are not even thinking about this because of all the silly magic they are being offered. What this site shows is that going back to basics is never a bad thing.

Amir's results could have as much to do with how Benchmark wired the circuit as the connector itself.

A classic example of this would be balanced vs unbalanced headphone jacks. An XLR connected headphone via balanced will be louder because of the circuit differences, not because of XLR. The easy proof of this that there are TRS balanced jacks.

Note that Benchmark is not saying the NL4 will make your speakers louder.

And I *do* think it is a jump to think that this is what Benchmark means.

Lastly, the physics don't support it.

If using an NL4 connector itself was a "free lunch" to 3dB more of amp gain and/or 3dB more efficient speakers, everyone would be doing it.

The easy test:

Take a speaker wire, put on NL4 connectors, then put on some regular connectors on a second pair, and measure the LCR. See how much it changes.

I'd bet a six pack the answer will be "not much", and certainly not 3 dB worth.

GradyBeach247

I buy cables and interconnects for their looks! Be bold! Go with cables that tells something about you, like you like pythons

Don't care if one brand is supposed to sound better than another, because they don't. The last wire I bought upon a dealer recommendation was back in '87 to connect my Naim amp to my speakers (see why elsewhere in asr).

I generally use Bluejeans cable, along with the cheaper Pangaea power cables and some generic stuff off Amazon

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just bought a bunch of Monolith Monoprice cables (XLR, USB A-B, Spidif) for my whole system just thought they seem pretty well built and looks pretty decent.

Anyone has any experience with them? Any issues with their longevity or whatever?

My Monoprice XLR cables are amongst the least favorite I own (Belden, Mogami, Seismic) for mechanical reasons.

They sound fine (i.e. the same), but that Monoprice connector is not a Neutrik when it comes to wire strain and general snug fit.

ArtemisXCIX

My Monoprice XLR cables are amongst the least favorite I own (Belden, Mogami, Seismic) for mechanical reasons.

They sound fine (i.e. the same), but that Monoprice connector is not a Neutrik when it comes to wire strain and general snug fit.

What a good cable brand than?
Preferably nothing that cost more than the equipment themselves

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What a good cable brand than?
Preferably nothing that cost more than the equipment themselves

Don't worry about it. If you're just hooking up short lengths and not changing connectors, the Monoprice are fine.

Don't waste your money on "upgrading".

But, personally, I prefer Belden and Canare with Neutriks, but I have pretty long runs (25') in my home studio.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, but that was an ungenerous strawman you set up. We are getting nowhere with that.

Well, if that wasn't suitable, perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant about connectors affecting dBs.

Because I'm struggling to think of any scenario where a connector will change the LCR values enough to cause an increase/decrease in dB, let alone 3dB worth.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What cables do you use in your systems?

Interconnects: Liberty Cable Z500 XLR and RCA (purchased on close-out for pennies on the dollar)

Speaker cable: 16AWG solid core PCOCC w/copper spades & bananas

Coax cable: N/A

USB cable: Some Chinese cable I picked up on Ali Express for $9

Power cable: TrippLite 14AWG

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just buy Canare 4S11 bulk, SpeakOn and bananas, and build your own cable for significantly cheaper.;)
I don't think this kind of serious manufacturer would do such claims. They just say it transmit the sound as it is
I just terminated a pair of Canare 4S11 cables with SpeakOn connectors and it is not easy! Normal 12 gauge would be easy but fitting 2 14 gauge (11 gauge total) into the speakon connectors neatly was quite a challenge. If I had to do it again I'd buy the cables from Benchmark or buy a pre-terminated Speakon cable and re-terminating one end with locking banana's.

Summary of termination difficulty:
12 gauge and SpeakOn - Easy
12 gauge and locking bananas - super easy
4S11 and locking bananas - super easy
4S11 and SpeakOn - hard

mansr

Major Contributor
Well, if that wasn't suitable, perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant about connectors affecting dBs.

Because I'm struggling to think of any scenario where a connector will change the LCR values enough to cause an increase/decrease in dB, let alone 3dB worth.
A really poor connection (corroded low-pressure contacts) might have a resistance of a few ohms. That's enough to significantly reduce the voltage seen by the speaker.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A really poor connection (corroded low-pressure contacts) might have a resistance of a few ohms. That's enough to significantly reduce the voltage seen by the speaker.

I should have added "properly engineered, maintained, and functioning to spec".

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you read the AHB2 review and proceed from there. At this point it just seems that you really need this argument so I'll let you be.

It would be helpful with a rational explanation of your point of view.

Top Bottom