• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who really cares? They do seem to have good resale value due their "reputation" which personally means very little.
A good reputation like McIntosh has means a huge amount to many interested buyers. I've serviced a fair amount of the gear and I can say that it is super reliable and built like a tank. The service was mostly a clean and lubricate controls sorta stuff because the gear is so reliable. :D

David Harper

Gaffer tape and a hammer, all that anyone needs in a toolbox. If it moves and shouldn't... hit it with a hammer. If it doesn't move and should... hit it with a hammer. And if it breaks when you hit it with a hammer, well that is what the gaffer tape is for.
and like my father taught me always use big hammer. Preferably a sledge hammer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A good reputation like McIntosh has means a huge amount to many interested buyers. I've serviced a fair amount of the gear and I can say that it is super reliable and built like a tank. The service was mostly a clean and lubricate controls sorta stuff because the gear is so reliable. :D

It's one of the best things its got going for it. Just not all that interesting overall for the cost (altho if you're into churning gear I suppose the resale value helps out).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've been so busy picking on the "Bob Carver Corporation" lately... well... I guess I missed these signifcant new products from McIntosh!
In case any of y'all did, too, here you go...

AS125-AS901-Angle-background.jpg

Bargain priced, too, for Mac products. :cool:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've been so busy picking on the "Bob Carver Corporation" lately... well... I guess I missed these signifcant new products from McIntosh!

Oh geez......you've got to be kidding me. :facepalm: I do assume the green McIntosh logo lights up, because why would their current overlords let an opportunity to be cheezy and superficially glitzy pass. :facepalm::facepalm: Thanks a lot, you've ruined my otherwise perfectly good day. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL those bases are hilarious....but they'll probably sell.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh geez......you've got to be kidding me. :facepalm: I do assume the green McIntosh logo lights up, because why would their current overlords let an opportunity to be cheezy and superficially glitzy pass. :facepalm::facepalm: Thanks a lot, you've ruined my otherwise perfectly good day. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I am certain that the logos light up, that being such an integral part of the Mac mystique.
Indeed, I was just thinking that the logos probably employ the same technology as the under-valve (tube) LED status indicators on, e.g., current McIntosh MC275 amplifiers.

MC275B-Angle-OG.ashx

If one places too heavy of an amplifier on one, the logo glows red.
Either that, or it lights up green when the stand is properly leveled and ready to support an amplifier properly.

:cool:

Just imagine:
1) Having to reboot one's amp stand, e.g., after a power failure.
2) "Bricking" an amp stand after a failed firmware update.

skippy_ps

Okay looking, I guess, but how do they sound?

Murray

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If one places too heavy of an amplifier on one, the logo glows red.
Either that, or it lights up green when the stand is properly leveled and ready to support an amplifier properly.
What happens if you place a piece of Topping gear on them? :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned my MC2100 since 1976. I would not trade it for anything in the audio world. I also have an MC7300. I have had it since 1986. No significant repairs on either one. I have tried other brands but nothing else stuck.
When I was specializing in servicing high end car audio for some years in the 90's I would also work on home audio gear and I had referrals from high end dealers. McIntosh was some of that gear. It was basically replace the lamps sometimes, wax the wood, clean and lub'd the controls, disassemble and clean out the dust and make it all look like new. I never had a McIntosh that was requiring serious service except one that was incorrectly assembled by another tech and it had a intermittent fault. The gear is built so well it was a joy to service. The calming soothing glow of it's illumination and the hardcore solid controls are wonderful. Serious gear it is.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank and Gordon would be in there with baseball bats, if they were alive.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three thousand dollars for a slab of white ash that has been lacquered black? And for their mono amp, you need two for stereo? I don't know man..., it's compelling, but I think I'd be holding out for the model with green tubes sticking out of the side.

Seriously, the fact that the hi-fi 'press' can 'report' this nonsense with a straight face pretty much tells you how unserious the biz has become. And it certainly tells you all you need to know about the hi-fi press. A responsible editor would say, "I'm not running with this crap, unless it's to make a huge joke of what a once respectable company has morphed into."

boomerang

Is this a Mcintosh bash topic?
Strange.
Even sales representatives from brands like Classé and Audio Research speak highly about the sound quality of Mac gear here in Europe.
B&W guy told me he heard the new 801D4 play on MC1.2KW and told me this was the most impressive performance he had experienced till now with these speakers.
Despite those stupid sound killing autoformers....
From what I read here, MAC is just a heap of crap.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a Mcintosh bash topic?
Strange.
Even sales representatives from brands like Classé and Audio Research speak highly about the sound quality of Mac gear here in Europe.
B&W guy told me he heard the new 801D4 play on MC1.2KW and told me this was the most impressive performance he had experienced till now with these speakers.
Despite those stupid sound killing autoformers....
From what I read here, MAC is just a heap of crap.
I don't think peeps here think that McIntosh is crap. I think they see the overpriced accessories and green LEDs as stupid and a waste of moola. Otherwise going off historical chats here most here like McIntosh gear.

Top Bottom