• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the benefits of having takeout food available, although we could certainly debate whether the risks merit it given that it enables lax social distancing. But takeout drinks?

Unfortunately, alcohol is a double-edged sword. For some, it calms them and will make it easier for them to handle this crisis. However, for others, it will decrease their inhibitions, and make them more likely to act irrationally. The latter is not a good thing at the moment.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, alcohol is a double-edged sword. For some, it calms them and will make it easier for them to handle this crisis. However, for others, it will decrease their inhibitions, and make them more likely to act irrationally. The latter is not a good thing at the moment.

Certainly could be...
I think tens of millions of alcoholics (to one degree or another) not getting alcohol might lead to a lot more trouble than just delivering them their daily 6 pack or bottle of Mogan David...

Remember...kids are home too...

Maybe it's time for the Cheech and Chong delivery service to find it's place in the world!

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Folks who drink to stupidity will find ways to be stupid. Also (in the US) generally the places that sell liquor by the bottle are still open. For US restaurants at least, mixed drinks are high profit items and many places depend on liquor sales for revenue, so allowing drink delivery is a nontrivial income aid.

I got takeout Italian this weekend and the owner threw in a bottle of Spanish red with the sale. I regret to inform that I did not immediately rip off my shirt and cavort in the streets. Didn't note elevated levels of saliva in the air either but maybe the poor guy had no one to talk to.

When looking at nation-level ramp rates and numbers, keep in mind we're seeing rapid changes in sample rates and test availability. This is going to make positive detections go up, rapidly - it is exactly the point of doing so. Also, if we only test the symptomatic, and symptoms take a week or two to manifest, we're all looking at two week old data. We are still a long, long way away from reported numbers reflecting realtime trend.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Certainly could be...
I think tens of millions of alcoholics (to one degree or another) not getting alcohol might lead to a lot more trouble than just delivering them their daily 6 pack or bottle of Mogan David...

Remember...kids are home too...

Maybe it's time for the Cheech and Chong delivery service to find it's place in the world!
I don't know about you but I can't cook for shit unless I'm pissed .

Juhazi

Major Contributor
One really big problem is moms and dads fighting at home. Kids crying and fighting too after couple of weeks.
We will see high divorce numbers during summer, followed by baby boom in January!

I just read that most cities in Italy are almost covid-free. Same applies to other countries. Closing schools and jobs should be done by district/town, but all local authorities must have same rules, and act fast. Travelling across borders should be restricted. Very difficult and complex issue...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned the value of population pyramids in visualizing population dynamics and the relative sizes of age groups in populations while studying ecology at U.C. Berkeley in the 1070s 1970s. Here is a superimposed pair of population pyramids from 2016 (Source - Wikipedia)

slightly OffTopic but this blast from the past makes me wonder if you worked with Frank Pitelka at UCB?

also, there should be a wiki or similar online resources for those interested in learning more about the "pyramids" and demography

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly could be...

Serious alcoholics will get their liquor by the bottle or their beer by the six-pack from the stores that sell them to drink at home. The problem with takeout drinks at restaurants is that it facilitates "let's go get a couple of appletinis and an appetizer" kind of behavior.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Serious alcoholics will get their liquor by the bottle or their beer by the six-pack from the stores that sell them to drink at home. The problem with takeout drinks at restaurants is that it facilitates "let's go get a couple of appletinis and an appetizer" kind of behavior.

Reminds me of the drive through bars in Texas back in the day...

One called 'The Suds Shed' was a parked and converted railroad car, right off the road. Nothing but a drive-through where you could get a beer or a hurricane in plastic cups. Never had to get out of your car. Technically, I believe you were supposed to only be able to get drinks for passengers...but...you know...

Our local liquor stores aren't able to deliver under the new relaxed rules, but restaurants with liquor licenses can. Maybe trying to help them out...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the drive through bars in Texas back in the day...

One called 'The Suds Shed' was a parked and converted railroad car, right off the road. Nothing but a drive-through where you could get a beer or a hurricane in plastic cups. Never had to get out of your car. Technically, I believe you were supposed to only be able to get drinks for passengers...but...you know...

Our local liquor stores aren't able to deliver under the new relaxed rules, but restaurants with liquor licenses can. Maybe trying to help them out...
From NE Texas ? ;)

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Today La Repubblica had an article on Russia numbers (it's in Italian and under paywall). Translated in English with google translate:

"With 306 confirmed cases and no deaths in a country of approximately 145 million inhabitants, Russia boasts one of the lowest coronavirus infection rates in the world. The merit of the measures taken in a timely manner, say the authorities: the border with China closed already on 20 February and the obligation to quarantine for anyone arriving from the countries affected by the pandemic. Yet the Federation doctors tell of another reality. "Not only are the numbers down, but they are shameless lies," she says on the phone with Repubblica Anastasija Vasilieva, head of the Alliance of Doctors union and author of a video report on YouTube displayed by over 250 thousand people. "It's all propaganda because the Kremlin doesn't want to cancel the constitutional referendum of April 22".

The truth, says Vasilieva, would be in the folds of the percentages disseminated by Rosstat and re-launched by the business newspaper Rbk. From January 2019 to January 2020, the Russian Statistical Institute recorded a 37 percent increase in cases of "community-acquired pneumonia", or CAP, which is almost 2,000 more cases. "The authorities superimpose Pac on coronaviruses to avoid panic," continues Vasilieva. "No one will ever tell us the truth about how many people died and what they died of. Doctors told us that they were forbidden to diagnose post mortem coronavirus on pain of dismissal."

Even in life the diagnoses are not immediate. "The swabs are made only in the case of contact with positive patients or those returning from the countries where the epidemic is underway," the communist deputy Aleksej Kurinnyj, member of the Duma Health Commission, told the Republic. Not only that, until a few days ago only a laboratory in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk, 3,300 km east of Moscow, was authorized to confirm the results of the swabs made. Now there are about fifteen, however few for over 17 million square km of territory. In addition, the Pcr medicine website revealed, the Russian version of the swab would not be accurate enough.

"The situation is under control," said Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin instead. However, in recent days, the measures have been tightened: entry ban for foreigners until May 1, schools and monuments closed, outdoor events and indoor gatherings of over 50 people closed in Moscow. And there is a hurry to build a hospital within a month on the outskirts of the capital. A sign for many Russians that even the authorities are preparing for the worst. So much so that, mindful of Chernobyl, they make supplies of food. "The only consolation - Vasilieva concludes - is that in Russia there is no high population density, there is not much travel and the babushkas, the elderly, are locked in the house. Factors that will help us avoid high mortality rates ". Then there is the Russian humor: "Once the Russian border is crossed - people joke about it - the coronavirus becomes a seasonal flu"."

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tomorrow the Spanish Airbus factories and Navantia (warships) will return to activity to manufacture respirators by government order.
I know the term respirator is sometimes used interchangeably as a ventilator but In this case I assume you mean the “machine” and not the “mask” ? (Add in the possible language differences)

maty

Major Contributor
I suppose the machines with the mask. The lack is not only of spare parts but of complete machines to be used in the field hospitals (ICU beds) by the army. Years ago, the Spanish goverment had the great idea of creating a specific military unit for all kind of emergencies and that some countries are copying: UME. https://www.defensa.gob.es/ume/

maty

Major Contributor
Así afecta el coronavirus en España según la edad
[Spanish] https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-afecta-coronavirus-espana-segun-edad-202003221407_noticia.html

This affects coronavirus in Spain by age
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://www.abc.es/sociedad/abci-afecta-coronavirus-espana-segun-edad-202003221407_noticia.html

coronavirus-por-edad-ABC-22032020.png

[ Two-thirds of the deceased are 80 years of age or older, according to data published by Health on 22 March. For the population in this age range, coronavirus has a lethality of almost 18%; that is, two out of ten infected people are not surviving the disease. Although coronavirus is particularly affecting this population group, they are only occupying seven percent of intensive care unit beds, less than other age ranges with better fatality rates.

Lethality drops significantly in the previous age stretch, still greatly affected by Covid-19 virulence. In patients between the ages of 70 and 79, lethality is slightly more than five percent. One-fifth of the dead are this age. 25% of hospitalized people belong to this strip, a percentage almost identical to that of over 80s. And they are the group that has the most intensive care units (ICU) because of coronavirus, about 35 percent of beds.

Just over a quarter of ICU beds with coronavirus sufferers are occupied by people between the ages of 60 and 69. The lethality in this age group is just over 2%, i.e. two out of a hundred are infected. 8% of the dead across Spain had these years. ]

maty

Major Contributor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two-thirds of the deceased are 80 years of age or older, according to data published by Health on 22 March.[..] Although coronavirus is particularly affecting this population group, they are only occupying seven percent of intensive care unit beds, less than other age ranges with better fatality rates.
Is this the cause of the much higher fatality rate? Not enough ICU beds available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom