• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what's all this Neil Young thread banning business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I replied to a thread and 'boom', it was gone.

1643289488392.png

I say bring back PONO!

1643289544738.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hot topic, here in Canada. I have no use for Young, Spotify, or Rogan.

threni

Major Contributor
Perhaps Neil Young doesn't want to be discussed on a forum where people deny the reality of high-definition audio?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Probably because its political.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Politics, perfect target for the 'Lucky B.Woody' and 'Fast Gun Adam' gang. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It was closed because it was really only about the politics of the issue. It's the kind of thread that is destined to create heartburn for any moderator, and God forbid you miss the critical hour when it goes to hell in a handbasket because a handful just can't keep from going into a rolling boil.

While we don't restrict threads to being only about audio, being tangentially related to audio isn't a reason to let it stay. Being a transparently loaded/political thread is one of the very few things we'll actually shut down.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Pat Sajak said it best:

There’s an alarming trend developing in which people are paying less attention to celebrities who are telling them how to live. Please, folks, we have been chosen to be celebrities for a reason. Ignore our experience and our wisdom at your own peril.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Fair enough. I just don't do politics, ever in a forum, or anywhere else.

I think he's an old stoner musician with funny ideas, but whatever, he has some musical cred. Pono was hilarious however.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough. I just don't do politics, ever in a forum, or anywhere else.

I think he's an old stoner musician with funny ideas, but whatever, he has some musical cred. Pono was hilarious however.

I am not his biggest fan, but I won't deny he is a talented musician and performer.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
It was closed because it was really only about the politics of the issue. It's the kind of thread that is destined to create heartburn for any moderator, and God forbid you miss the critical hour when it goes to hell in a handbasket because a handful just can't keep from going into a rolling boil.

While we don't restrict threads to being only about audio, being tangentially related to audio isn't a reason to let it stay. Being a transparently loaded/political thread is one of the very few things we'll actually shut down.
Classic question, classic problem in many forums. That is, how to react if policy is to be discussed. Does not have to be pure Hifi forums, it is the same discussion on forums about sewing or cooking. Or any type of forum (other than, of course, designated policy-oriented forums).

Some forums prohibit ALL discussion regarding politics with reference to the fact that emotions are easily upset. They then refer to purely political forums.Other forums (non-politically oriented forums) have a more open attitude to political discussions.

There is no right or wrong. Different approaches only.Balances, not the easiest. :)

Edit:
By the way, there is a risk that you will have to lock this thread as well.;)

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given all the attention, I'd say it is a win for Neil Young. I'm sure he doesn't care much about whatever money he gets from Spotify.
He declared it was 60% of his income. that's alot of money not to care about.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He declared it was 60% of his income. that's alot of money not to care about.
We'll see. If he doesn't cave in any time soon I'd say the loss of that income doesn't matter to him.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many hobby forums filter out politics, but few do so fairly and without bias. This is one of the few. Well done moderators.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree with Neil on hires
I agree with Neil on Rogan
I think Neil wrote (and performed) a shocking number of great songs.

You are going to get this thread disappeared again :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After Buffalo Springfield I lost touch on Neil Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom