• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your greatest/best most practical Idea/invention in your life (so far anyway)

Hollywood_Bob

Try to stay away from "not getting married, getting married, getting a vasectomy" type answers

A long time ago, I was working as a labourer, and was having a coffee break with the other labourers, and one of them asked this question.

I was stumped for an answer because I didn't want to be there anyway, but one of the other guys very seriously said his best idea in life was realizing that he should buy only square bottles of hard liquor.

Why? Because when he came to after a bender, the bottle hadn't rolled off the bed or out of reach, when he really needed a swig to take the edge off last night.

Your turn.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wired my PC to my living room TV through the wall and I am playing with wirelessly my PS5 or XBOX controller.
It's the ultimate silent solution and I get to enjoy my PCs performance on my couch on a 77" LG OLED tv in 4k 120FPS and surround system.

It's not even an invention, just a small twist in already existing stuff, but it's a game changer.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My DIY stands for the O300D (should work for KH310 as well) which double as CD racks.

Edit: in my job as software developer it's certainly the development of software code which simulates hardware. Being able to develop and test code without needing access to very expensive hardware became a real game changer in our department, especially during the pandemic when we all worked from home for 2 years. It also allowed us to run automated regression tests which drastically reduced the number of bugs introduced when adding features. Our CEO gave us the highest praise "that the introduction of the new spectrometer series was the smoothest one with the least hassels in the history of this company". This is something I'm really proud of.

Last edited:

nerdstrike

I co-wrote an A-level synthetic chemistry playground/problem generator in Pascal (oh no!). Terminal-grade graphics and a very immature codebase, but it was certainly interesting to write.

I think the code is lost on some degraded floppy disk somewhere :/ could have made about 30 pence in ad revenue if we'd ported it to an Android app...

Top Bottom