• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where is a Topping DAC with PEQ and bass management?

fatoldgit

Perhaps these brands that you have made clear you don't like (on more than one occasion) aren't targeting customers like you.

Take Topping for example, Imo its pretty obvious from their offerings that their target market, is people in the low to mid price bracket. Its also pretty obvious that they are targeting people who's audio source material resides on a computer.

Imo, That market segment doesn't have a lot of use for built in PEQ. They would most likely do it via software in the computer. Additionally a small footprint can also be important, hence why the have DAC & AMP pairs that are stackable! Also, at least for me if I'm going to have to look at something regularly (because its less than 3 or 4 feet from me) it will have to meet my esthetic requirements. For example, I dislike the looks of a lot of toppings models.

It's not that I dont like them... I am generally neutral with regard to their products (and others like SMSL)... it's just I cant get my head around the micro-segmenting of their product line. As I have noted, managing, from design to manufacture such a large portfolio of products must increase costs/spread resources thin.. esp with the large divergence of chassis designs.

I am not a small form factor guy, I will admit but I do like the newish topping dx9 and am having internal battles with myself as to whether to get it or nor. I dont really need it but its one of the best looking DAC around (IHMO in silver) and obviously measures well. Plus it has some features I can use that are rare in DAC's (such as the dual XLR outs).

I agree (if this is what you are saying) that the target market generally is desktop systems hence the small form factor BUT that doesnt preclude them from moving into larger form factor stuff like the DX9 and with DSP/PEQ available. While the market is small as you say, they could own it with some effort.

To summarize.. I aint anti-Topping just bewildered by the product line up.

Peter

fatoldgit

So you want an economy dac with a perfect preamp but NO headamp, as to save a few bucks.... and the d10x+L70=dx5 lite is too rich?
Desktop form factor is for heaphones first. That is where the intentional analog preamp goes. You don't touch a standalone topping dac much.

RCA is anachronistic drag on performance and the fetish for legacy gear is the opposite of sota marketing chase.

Topping is wisely looking for market share from consumer interfaces, crown and behringer amps. Products like the m50 streamer are outside of their risk profile to secure components for enduring but haphazard production runs.
Cant disagree with the above aside from the "too rich" comment.

I dont like lots of little boxes... thats my crime and I am guilty as charged.

I promise never to comment on Topping again.. unless its postive.

Peter

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I promise never to comment on Topping again.. unless its postive.

No one says you have to only be positive, but when you make comments like below, your don't make yourself appear very neutral.

One of my big grips with Chinese brands, in general, but specifically with Topping, SMSL etc is their marketing departments are on crack.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree (if this is what you are saying) that the target market generally is desktop systems hence the small form factor BUT that doesnt preclude them from moving into larger form factor stuff like the DX9 and with DSP/PEQ available. While the market is small as you say, they could own it with some effort.

They appear to be Slowey expanding their portfolio into larger and more feature rich products. However I would also be willing to bet they are going to feel out the market by taking baby steps.

Top Bottom