• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think someone like Michael Jackson largely fulfilled their life work... ie. they died when they were done with their career?

and so with that, I would Amy Winehouse

she had a lot more than 2 albums in her

also 27 y.o?

Sokel

Master Contributor
That would be my bigger post ever if I had to mention everyone.
I'll only choose one instead:

The one and only Jussi Björling,there's no other male voice in the world who speaks in my soul as much as his.
And that through the crappy recordings of the era.

(and now I'm gonna go and listen to him,can't help it )

MRC01

Major Contributor
The first that come to mind...

Franz Schubert, a brilliant and creative composer who died far too soon. At least I wish he lived a full life, even if wouldn't be alive today we would have more of his music.

John Coltrane, taken before his time, though largely due to his own lifestyle. However, one wonders if he didn't have those psychological demons how different an artist he would have been.

Lars Vogt, a classical pianist who played a lot of music with Christian & Tanja Tetzlaff, died in 2022. Over the years they played some of my favorite performances of Dvorak and Schubert, among others.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Loved the mention of Lowell George!

I’ll try not to duplicate and go with…

Buddy Holly

Nick Drake

Hank Williams

I forgot Elvis: if he had lived, I think we’d be eating Elvis’s light cuisine instead of Jenny Craig and going to Elvis fitness centers.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Suicide, overdose, and overdose?

Mozart, Tupac, Freddie Mercury. Unclear, murdered, AIDS.
Mozart died of a disease that was common at the time. There are legends surrounding this, amplified by Amadeus the play and movie, but Mozart died as did so many others of his time, of a disease that doctors did not know how to cure. Schubert suffered a worse fate, dying penniless of syphilis, age of 31. He had only just developed his mature voice as a composer, was unbelievably prolific.

Sandy Denny died too soon, falling down the stairs at the age of 31. However, that was something she did quite often, apparently, as a parlor trick of sorts. She was of the same generation as Richard Thompson, so she could still be among us. In a similar vein, Linda Thompson is still with us but can no longer sing, the same being true of Linda Ronstadt.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jimmy Hendrix

spigot

Elvis in the 90's could have been interesting. Would've been nice for Lennon and McCartney to hang out in their dotage, make a few records. Kirsty MacColl is missed.

HoweSound

Roy Byrd (Professor Longhair)
Mac Rebennack (Dr. John)
Allen Toussaint
Janis Joplin
Maggie Roche
John Lennon
Harry Nilsson
Jerry Garcia
Tom Petty

John Fahey

Last edited: