• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Suicide is about the cruelest thing a person can do to their family, to the people they love and who love them. Only murder is worse. In the case of Cobain, he was infinitely cruel to his wife and daughter. She called him an "asshole" and a "fucker" at his eulogy. Understatements of the year.
Few things to maybe chew on.

1, He was massively depressed. Depression makes people act completely different when it's bad. I've seen it firsthand. It's not pretty. And, from what I understand, if it gets bad enough, suicide feels like the only way out.

2, he was a heroin addict- some of which was because he was in constant physical pain from an undiagnosed stomach condition.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few things to maybe chew on.

1, He was massively depressed. Depression makes people act completely different when it's bad. I've seen it firsthand. It's not pretty. And, from what I understand, if it gets bad enough, suicide feels like the only way out.

2, he was a heroin addict- some of which was because he was in constant physical pain from an undiagnosed stomach condition.
He could afford a doctor and therapy. He chose heroin and suicide. Life is hard. If you're going to call for an artist to be alive, make sure they're worthy.

Victor Martell

That would be my bigger post ever if I had to mention everyone.
I'll only choose one instead:

The one and only Jussi Björling,there's no other male voice in the world who speaks in my soul as much as his.
And that through the crappy recordings of the era.

(and now I'm gonna go and listen to him,can't help it )

Fritz Wunderlich!
Also Furtwangler died kind of young - he could have lived way into the Stereo/Hi-Fi era! Imagine the recordings. Also Klemperer was about to record a Ring cycle when he died... him too...

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Jason Molina

Victor Martell

I'm not sure I understand the question. For example, Jimi Hendrix would be 82 years old this year had he lived, so are you wishing for a time machine for a young Hendrix or the elderly version you would get if he just lived?

If I could choose one to come back to life at the age she died, which was in her early 30s, it would be Karen Carpenter. One of the best female voices I've ever heard. The one condition would be that she gets to pick her own material, rather than that sappy stuff her brother and Herb Alpert made her sing.
I understood the question as more like imagine that maybe the best is yet to come. As per my post above, all those artists had more to give... I wanted that. I wanted Klemperer's Ring and Furtwangler's stereo recordings.. And all would be dead by now...

Last edited:

Victor Martell

He could afford a doctor and therapy. He chose heroin and suicide. Life is hard. If you're going to call for an artist to be alive, make sure they're worthy.

Not that you are 100% wrong, but well, as the saying goes, "it's easy to watch the bullfight from the stands". If you haven't lived it, well...
But I do understand - everyone sees their own experience as the ultimate test. Guess is human nature. But there is no universal experience. Someone else might think you are being a wimp for thinking THAT (whatever you went thru!) was hard.

Or to use another saying, "before you judge a person you should walk a mile in their shoes"

All said with love and IMHO

Victor Martell

Gustav Mahler. Died in 1911 while writing his 10th symphony, age 50, was still innovating at that point, and better at orchestrating than ever. I sometimes imagine a Mahler symphony processing WWI, taking in ragtime music or some of the nascent proto-jazz, parodying Nazi marches, or him writing a movie soundtrack.

Ah - right - thought it was only about performing musicians, so I did not think of composers... that said, Mahler was a performing musician too; he was one of the best conductors ever... He could have lived well into the recording era... [Edit: "maybe even stereo!" removed... maybe too much to ask! and a bit of a stretch]

Compositionally I do see him landing, later in that hypothetically longer life, in a style similar to Shostakovich's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom