• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which materials are practically immortal for headphone pads and headphone headbands?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I read that micro suede headphone pads can reduce bass, compared to the original ATH-M40x pads. Is that true?

MCH

Major Contributor
One may ask, is anything immortal?
Yes, teflon

:confused:

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

What would be the best durable replacement pads for ATH-M40x? I don't want the sound to get worse, compared to the stock pads.

henologist

I swapped the pads on my old M50s to microsuede and enjoyed it, though the microsuede had a tendency to stain any semi-porous substance it touched (clothes, laminate, rubber, etc.), possibly due to cheap dye. Keep them on a stand if you're gonna go that route. I didn't do any A/B testing at the time, so I can't tell you how it affected the sound. It was certainly more comfortable for extended use.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
What would be the best durable replacement pads for ATH-M40x? I don't want the sound to get worse, compared to the stock pads.

Try looking at Dekoni. I had pretty good experience with one of their cheaper replacements for MDR-V6... the "Midnight" series from their budget "Earpadz" line... but like all headphone pads it always feels like you're paying 400% more than you should, even when it's the budget stuff. Check their B-Stock page for sale prices.

Another company is Yaxi. The ones for 7506 and 900ST might work for Audio-Technica 40x/50x.
Those two and Brainwavz seem to be some of top brands for replacement pads. The Hong Kong seller on eBay Wang Yi-fei has some interesting things too. I ordered some pads for Koss Portapro once from him but switched to Yaxi later.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I found Brainwavz prostock series which is specifically designed for ATH-M series. I'm going to buy either prostock micro-suede or prostock sheep skin leather.

Edit: After researching a while, prostock sheepskin has fake leather for sides and sheepskin for only the front face which touches the head. I will wait for micro-suede version to be in stock again. Fake leather will start flaking in a year or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Try looking at Dekoni. I had pretty good experience with one of their cheaper replacements for MDR-V6... the "Midnight" series from their budget "Earpadz" line... but like all headphone pads it always feels like you're paying 400% more than you should, even when it's the budget stuff. Check their B-Stock page for sale prices.

Another company is Yaxi. The ones for 7506 and 900ST might work for Audio-Technica 40x/50x.
Those two and Brainwavz seem to be some of top brands for replacement pads. The Hong Kong seller on eBay Wang Yi-fei has some interesting things too. I ordered some pads for Koss Portapro once from him but switched to Yaxi later.
Dekoni is good if I want genuine leather pads, but their pads are expensive. For hifiman he400se, I would rather buy stock valour pads which are substantially cheaper.

Yaxi is good if I want shure. Brainwavz for ATH-M series pads.

I may buy fake leather stock pads, but I dread flakes from fake leather. I cannot go back to fake leather again. Flakes make me furious.

Acceptable materials for stock pads or third-party pads designed to mimick stock sound signature
  • Genuine leather
  • Genuine suede
  • Micro-suede
  • Valour
  • Linen
  • Alcantara cloth

Bugg100

I found Brainwavz prostock series which is specifically designed for ATH-M series. I'm going to buy either prostock micro-suede or prostock sheep skin leather.

Edit: After researching a while, prostock sheepskin has fake leather for sides and sheepskin for only the front face which touches the head. I will wait for micro-suede version to be in stock again. Fake leather will start flaking in a year or two.
Look at the Dekoni Elite series. No pleather, even the side are sheepskin. Quite like the pads on AKG K553mkii.

Top Bottom