• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what is the sample rate? 44.1, 48, 96, 192?

What cable are you using for the coaxial? Expecially if you are at the higher end of sample rates, you should be using digital audio coax cable not analogue audio RCA.

Yes it is an analog cable and not digital, the reason is that my cable does not enter the RCA sockets.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is an analog cable and not digital, the reason is that my cable does not enter the RCA sockets.
Analogue cable won't work for the digital interface. You might get away with it at lower bit rates, eg 16/44.1, but no guarantees: that is still 1.4Mb/s

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alright well noted. I'll have to find a digital coax cable that goes into these RCA jacks.

superno6

Hi, may I know is wiim pro have lip sync problem when watching youtube or netflix? I saw some review mention this before. Im still waiting my wiim pro to arrive.
I plan to connect my tv > wiim pro > smsl D6 > amplifier.
so that I no need to change my dac input each time I switch from video to music only.
Thanks everyone

superno6

The delay was around 50ms for toslink input, not sure if it's already fixed.
opps too bad, I plan to use optical in to wiim pro..because my samsung tv dont have rca out.
hope they can fix this asap..
thanks for informing

derek13

Has anyone experienced the following: all playing Summer of 69 on AMHD:
WiiM Mini plays at 24/96 from Wiim App and also when initiated by Alexa through an Echo device grouped with the WiiM.
With Pro plays at 24/96 from the App but only at 16/44 when initiated from the Echo.

Can’t see any setup differences that would explain it. Before I raise a ticket wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something obvious.

In the latter case my DAC shows 44kHz while the WiiM App shows it is playing at 24/96

I have AM Ultra/ HD set to on for the device for Amazon Music and Alexa Settings

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Soon. I'm just finishing them up, then handing the unit off to the main reviewer.
I look forward to it .:)

Reactions: SIY

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Please link

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thanks - very nice testing.
it seems that the pro is slightly better overall than the mini then….

Have you tested the spdif coaxial output with the volume regulation ”on” ? . How is the comparisons with the digital volumeregulation at - 20 dB compared to 0 dB ? Does the WiiM pro resample everything to 48 kHz If using the digital volume control through the spdif outputs ?

How big are the digital volume control steps through the spdif output ? 6 , 3 or 1 dB ?

The eq section seems broken and thus useless, and I have a suspicion that the digital volumecontrol is in the same chip…. (?) But I might be wrong.

( Why Im asking all those questions is that this player might be a perfect digital streamer and preamp for us who owns loudspeakers with digital inputs . And maybe the spdif quality is better than the Yamaha wxc50 when digital volume control is enabled, ie is not resampled to 48 kHz. )

Last edited:

ClassicGuy

Have you tested the spdif coaxial output with the volume regulation ”on” ? . How is the comparisons with the digital volumeregulation at - 20 dB compared to 0 dB ? Does the WiiM pro resample everything to 48 kHz If using the digital volume control through the spdif outputs ?

How big are the digital volume control steps through the spdif output ? 6 , 3 or 1 dB ?

The eq section seems broken and thus useless, and I have a suspicion that the digital volumecontrol is in the same chip…. (?) But I might be wrong.

( Why Im asking all those questions is that this player might be a perfect digital streamer and preamp for us who owns loudspeakers with digital inputs . And maybe the spdif quality is better than the Yamaha wxc50 when digital volume control is enabled, ie is not resampled to 48 kHz. )
The volume control works fine. It does not resample to 48khz. Not sure about -20db, but I use the volume control at the upper quartile range, and don't notice degradation of sound quality.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

100 digital steps, 0 to 100 %. 10% equals to around -3.2 dB.
I haven't noticed downsampling when volume was reduced. No distortion increase either.

Tangband

Major Contributor
100 digital steps, 0 to 100 %. 10% equals to around -3.2 dB.
I haven't noticed downsampling when volume was reduced. No distortion increase either.
Thats good news:)

Tangband

Major Contributor
The volume control works fine. It does not resample to 48khz. Not sure about -20db, but I use the volume control at the upper quartile range, and don't notice degradation of sound quality.
Thanks !

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
SMPTE 80% vol:

1673029883307.png

90%:
1673030030369.png

100%:
1673030146359.png

Let's say no significant distortion increase.

Tangband

Major Contributor
This looks very promising as a digital preamp :)

Top Bottom