• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Belden 1696A work with my headphones ?

Nkam

I want to make some cables for my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros As the factory cable is cracking a bit

no , I don’t want snake oil cables thank you.

Will Belden 1696A cable work for me to make my own cable for a Stereo TRS Jack to mini XLR?
I like the specs on this cable and it seems robust enough not to be so flimsy this for aesthetic reasons.

https://www.belden.com/products/Cable/Audio-Cable/Digital-Audio-Cable/1696a

and for cable jewelry, where do I get a pretty sleeve to go over the cable sheath ?

thanks in advance!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be concerned about microphonic cable. If you want a dead silent cable order in the cable for Sennheiser HD 598SR and then chop off the end and solder on yours.

OP
N

Nkam

I would be concerned about microphonic cable. If you want a dead silent cable order in the cable for Sennheiser HD 598SR and then chop off the end and solder on yours.

thanks for the response.
but the Belden is shielded.
plus that cable is more like a cord and not robust enough at the connector ends

cheers

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the response.
but the Belden is shielded.
plus that cable is more like a cord and not robust enough at the connector ends

cheers
The materials the cable is constructed from make it microphonic or not. There is no guarantee that the digital cable you sourced is not microphonic. That is a lot of work to do to risk getting a microphonic product. The Sennheiser is a rubber silicone cable. Very nice stuff.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The materials the cable is constructed from make it microphonic or not. There is no guarantee that the digital cable you sourced is not microphonic. That is a lot of work to do to risk getting a microphonic product. The Sennheiser is a rubber silicone cable. Very nice stuff.
PE is similar to rubber; soft, nice on touch, actually better and less microphonic and with very good endurance (depending on which one is used). Rating goes from PE10 to PE30+ (years). Sony use PE10 for it's cable's (headphone, USB...) for a long time now (about 20 years) and for headphone shell part's. So highly unlikely it will be microphonic or stiff.

Edit: tho my recommendation is graphite TP-E mixture for other cover which is also EMI shield (graphite) in that case.

OP
N

Nkam

PE is similar to rubber; soft, nice on touch, actually better and less microphonic and with very good endurance (depending on which one is used). Rating goes from PE10 to PE30+ (years). Sony use PE10 for it's cable's (headphone, USB...) for a long time now (about 20 years) and for headphone shell part's. So highly unlikely it will be microphonic or stiff.

Edit: tho my recommendation is graphite TP-E mixture for other cover which is also EMI shield (graphite) in that case.

so the Belden cable I listed will work well?

cheers

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
so the Belden cable I listed will work well?

cheers
I wouldn't go with tined coper one but OFC instead for better flexibility (retaining oxidation properties).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

What about the outer jacket PVC<?>
Outer Jacket Material Nom. Thickness Nom. Diameter PVC - Polyvinyl Chloride 0.025 in (0.64 mm) 0.235 in (5.97 mm) Overall Cable Diameter (Nominal): 0.235 in (5.97 mm)<?>

solderdude

Grand Contributor
6mm diameter is pretty thick for a headphone cable.
I'd recommend to use a highly flexible cable 4mm in diameter.

The DC resistance of the inner wires is irrelevant for DT1990

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What about the outer jacket PVC<?>
Outer Jacket Material Nom. Thickness Nom. Diameter PVC - Polyvinyl Chloride 0.025 in (0.64 mm) 0.235 in (5.97 mm) Overall Cable Diameter (Nominal): 0.235 in (5.97 mm)<?>
Well they state PE - Polyethylene (Foam).
@Nkam just as example and neither for balanced nor mini XLR nor you told TRS pool's or diameter.
Try to see which Beyerdynamic stock mini XLR one's are good if you want that on solderdudes blog.

OP
N

Nkam

Well they state PE - Polyethylene (Foam).
@Nkam just as example and neither for balanced nor mini XLR nor you told TRS pool's or diameter.
Try to see which Beyerdynamic stock mini XLR one's are good if you want that on solderdudes blog.

I don’t live in the UK. Lol

i dont care if the Belden is stiff as I want it for home use.
so it will work well correct?

thanks again

OP
N

Nkam

6mm diameter is pretty thick for a headphone cable.
I'd recommend to use a highly flexible cable 4mm in diameter.

The DC resistance of the inner wires is irrelevant for DT1990

6mm diameter is about what my stock cable is.
its diameter not thickness.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Stock cable = 4mm.
6mm is typical microphone cable.
3.5mm and mini XLR is usually intended for max 4mm cable.

OP
N

Nkam

Stock cable = 4mm.
6mm is typical microphone cable.

yeah I wanted something more substantial.

I got a blue jeans cable which uses 1508a, but it’s flimsy for me aesthetically and i wanted a thicker cable.

So I figured the 1696a would work elecrically well. Thats all I need to know.
I realize it’s a stiffer more substantial cable.

correct?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The mini XLR is made for max. 4.5mm cable so you can't fit a 6mm cable.

Perhaps use 4mm and put some sleeve on it to make it appear thicker ?

OP
N

Nkam

The mini XLR is made for max. 4.5mm cable so you can't fit a 6mm cable.

Perhaps use 4mm and put some sleeve on it to make it appear thicker ?

where does one get sleeve ?

thanks again !

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ali-express ? look for 'braid sleeve'
I have never used sleeve... not a bling-bling guy myself.

Top Bottom