• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Belden 1696A work with my headphones ?

OP
N

Nkam

Ali-express ? look for 'braid sleeve'
I have never used sleeve... not a bling-bling guy myself.

I’ll check out performance audio.
I dont want to give out my card details to , too many vendors.
thanks man

OP
N

Nkam

Does the nominal characteristic impedance 110ohms mean anything ?

thanks

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I would not use the 1696A for headphone use. It is designed for use as an interconnect cable that does not get moved around a lot. Think internal console or equipment rack type use. The construction of the cable includes a foil shield that—in all likelyhood—when used as a headphone cable with a lot of movement, will break down over time. The cable also has PE rod fillers to maintain the conductor geometry and those will reduce the flexibility of the cable.

Any of the below would be a better choice:

Mogami 2447

Mogami 2792

Mogami 2893

sam_adams

Major Contributor
thick enough to be substantial and thin enough to fit into a mini XLR

1350sb is designed as an AES/EBU data cable. While it could be used as an interconnect or for console/rack analog wiring, it's not suitable for headphone cable use. You should find a cable that has a braided or served shield, not one with a foil shield.

OP
N

Nkam

sam_adams

Major Contributor

Foil shields are the worst type of shields for headphone cables. Braided or served—spiral wrapped—shields are more flexible and will last longer. Polyethylene and Polyolefin insulated conductors are a pain to solder because they meltback along the conductor when soldering. Cross-Linked Polyethylene, XLPE, is the best insulation because it doesn't melt like the others when soldering.

A good headphone cable will be similar to a good mic cable. Flexible with low microphonics. The flexibility comes from the shield/conductor choice and the low microphonics will be achieved using a filler cord to cushion the internal conductors.

OP
N

Nkam

Foil shields are the worst type of shields for headphone cables. Braided or served—spiral wrapped—shields are more flexible and will last longer. Polyethylene and Polyolefin insulated conductors are a pain to solder because they meltback along the conductor when soldering. Cross-Linked Polyethylene, XLPE, is the best insulation because it doesn't melt like the others when soldering.

A good headphone cable will be similar to a good mic cable. Flexible with low microphonics. The flexibility comes from the shield/conductor choice and the low microphonics will be achieved using a filler cord to cushion the internal conductors.

thanks so much for educating me on this

so this is good but a bit large correct?

https://www.belden.com/products/Cable/Audio-Cable/Digital-Audio-Cable/1696a

or this one ?

https://www.belden.com/products/Cable/Audio-Cable/Microphone-Cable/1801b

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
thanks so much for educating me on this

so this is good but a bit large correct?

https://www.belden.com/products/Cable/Audio-Cable/Digital-Audio-Cable/1696a
Aside from having a foil shield which is tightly wrapped around the center conductors, it has a very stiff jacket with an additionally stiff ground wire. So not what I think was suggested.
1713417820825.png

The stiffness of the package would make for an uncomfortable listening experience. And be subject to all the other issues already mentioned.

I think those Mogami cables are great.
If you want thicker, add a woven jacket available from many online vendors. There are ways to do it that look good. You may find the thicker wire is not comfortable or is competing with your headphones' fit, and you can take it the braid off!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the nominal characteristic impedance 110ohms mean anything ?

thanks
Not in this case. It is relevant for MHZ range and up (high speed digital transmissions for instance)

Last edited:
OP
N

Nkam

Aside from having a foil shield which is tightly wrapped around the center conductors, it has a very stiff jacket with an additionally stiff ground wire. So not what I think was suggested.
View attachment 364406
The stiffness of the package would make for an uncomfortable listening experience. And be subject to all the other issues already mentioned.

I think those Mogami cables are great.
If you want thicker, add a woven jacket available from many online vendors. There are ways to do it that look good. You may find the thicker wire is not comfortable or is competing with your headphones' fit, and you can take it the braid off!

Not in this case. It is for MHZ range and up (high speed digital transmissions for instance)

thanks For everyone’s patience.

I am learning from all this

Top Bottom