• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will this DAC work with this DVD player?

Hi All,

I really appreciate everyone on here as you have been extremely helpful with my system.

I'm helping a friend out and what we are trying to do is have a CD player with a balanced output, but also bluetooth and other types of streaming ability. Emotiva has a balanced out CD player, but not with BT etc. Some of the other products I've seen don't have great sampling rates, etc. (Such as Denon DN-500)

So, I've landed on using the DVD Player I currently use (Sony) and the SMSL DO200 MKII DAC.

My hope is that the DVD player Audio Only HDMI Out Port will output audio to the SMSL DAC, which I can then output from the DAC to a balanced Pre-Amp.

Will it?

Thank you!

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It won't work. The Sony player doesn't have coax or optical outputs as far as I can see.

The SMSL DAC doesn't have HDMI inputs either.

EDIT: It will work - oddly it's not mentioned in the specs, but the player does have a coax output.

EDIT (2) if only I read the specs on Amazon in more detail....

Bring your equipment together Connect your AV technology to the UBP-X700 with Ethernet, HDMI and Coaxial SPDIF

Oops, sorry OP.

347cf593e6a64915d3f0f1dc2fa6447d

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't think it can decode Dolby from a DVD. Most stand-alone DACs can't.

OP
MajorMajorMajorMajor
Well I guess the SPDIF is a digital out I didn’t even think of that

Zek

Major Contributor
Audio CD -> Sony -> Coax Digital Out -> Coax In on the DAC

Top Bottom